Leather finish?

Wich finish do you like on a dyed sheath dyed with Fiebings oil dye?
I would like it to be on the shiney side.
I have used Tan kote and Bag kote but the result is a bit streaky.

I use BagKote. Mostly streaks come from application. I use an old t shirt stretched tightly over a couple of fingers. You are trying to achieve a very light coat, so light that it literally be dry to the touch in under a minute or so. I'll use two of these extremely light coats. Sometimes I apply in a circular motion and sometimes more straight just depends on the surface area.

Occasionally ya get some streaks even with good application. Has your BagKote frozen and has the cap been left off the bottle. Ya can also try buffing. Lots of time that will even out some streaks.

All this being said my last quart of BagKote came in a different bottle, with a different label and I have wondered if the formula has stayed the same. I too have struggled with some streaks on some projects where I wouldn't have in the past. I found redefining my definition of light coat has helped. Go even lighter. I'm on the fence about BagKote honestly anymore.

As an alternative Bee Natural (same folks that make the Pro Carve I'm so fond of) make a finish called RTC. We've been using a some for some time now and have become pretty fond of it. It is more glossy than BagKote but still not super glossy/plastic looking. Only drawback I have found is it takes longer to dry.

I discovered I only tried the Tan Kote.
The Bag Kote I tried today gave me a much better result.

Back