Leather Knives......

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been making quite a few leather knives recently with several more in the queue. Here's the last few that just recent shipped.

First was a round knife handled in ironwood:

I44rxmf.jpg

IXbDgmV.jpg

Each of my round knives cuts out its own sheath to ensure its good to go.

VWw8FVM.jpg

Next up we had this order for all three leather working knives I make, a round knife, a push skiver and a Paul Long skiver. The customer told me that he's worked quite a bit with Paul. These were all done in elk.

SugIHat.jpg

The round knife:

hxwJkYU.jpg

u87iJbk.jpg

The push skiver is my most recent leather knife design and I use one a lot in my work:

JeflPFX.jpg

zU2EFsC.jpg

Paul designed this skiver some years back and has been using one ever since. He told me he uses it on every sheath he makes:

mmx2eh5.jpg

t0EHyCF.jpg

Thanks for looking and questions and comments always welcome.

I have both of Dave's skivers and I can tell you they are excellent. The push skiver can be a bit tricky to use without over cutting but practice and a good granite surface will get you there. I use the skiver designed by Paul almost every day. It is so much better than the old Osborne's I was using I will never go back. It is flexible (literally and functionally) and will readily do a lot of different types of skiving with accuracy and control. Again, a good granite surface helps a lot.
Randy

Well, guys, I said the "Paul Long" skiver was the best I have ever used the day I got it and nothing has changed. It's still the best one I've ever used and if I ever wear it out (which is not likely) I will for sure order another one. There is simply none better. Thanks again, Dave. I have used it on every sheath and every other item since the day I got it. That AEB-L steel is amazing, and Dave's workmanship on the design is perfect. It would be worth many times his price to me.

Dang! I thought I was going to look at knives made out of leather! Geez. You're no fun. In lockdown, bored (tell me a story.) Well, I once boiled rawhide ad had a bullet proof product I could have made knives out of ... well a butterknife. Well moving along... hang in there, stay safe- are you holed up in the shop?

I've got one of Dave's push skivers, as well as one of his round knives. Love them both! Shout out to Dave! :)

Dang! I thought I was going to look at knives made out of leather! Geez. You're no fun. In lockdown, bored (tell me a story.) Well, I once boiled rawhide ad had a bullet proof product I could have made knives out of ... well a butterknife. Well moving along... hang in there, stay safe- are you holed up in the shop?

No knives like that, but I use to make a paddle holster that used molded rawhide for the paddle, does that count. Pretty much, yeah.

I've got one of Dave's push skivers, as well as one of his round knives. Love them both! Shout out to Dave! :)

Thanks Amy! Glad you’re getting good use out of em.

You may have to increase your round knife productions Dave. I heard the other day Terry Knipschield had a fire and lost his shop. Sadly, at this point he is not only unsure when he could get back to making knives, but if he will at all.
Always love the elk handles!
Did I tell you I came up with a lock welt to go with my top stitch round knife sheath?
Chris

Very sorry to hear about Terry. He is a great guy and makes outstanding knives.

You may have to increase your round knife productions Dave. I heard the other day Terry Knipschield had a fire and lost his shop. Sadly, at this point he is not only unsure when he could get back to making knives, but if he will at all.
Always love the elk handles!
Did I tell you I came up with a lock welt to go with my top stitch round knife sheath?
Chris

Howdy Chris no ya didn't ya have to show some pics.

Dave, what thickness aeb-l do you use? Do you get it from Alpha Knife Supply?

Thanks, Steve

Yeah Steve, AKS is shere I get my AEB-L. .040 is ideal for the round knife and the Paul Long Skiver. Push skiver works better with say.080 to .100.

Very sorry to hear about Terry. He is a great guy and makes outstanding knives.

Yes, Terry is a great guy and must be one of the best blade tempering men in the business. I have his 'French' model round knife and love it.

This leads to my question for Horsewright and the reason for joining this fine forum.

Horsewright: I had Terry's 'Shark' Knife on order when he informed me of the fire that resulted in his canceling all open orders.

Have you looked at making something like this Shark blade? I primarily make small leather goods.
Let me know, Thanks, James

Yes, Terry is a great guy and must be one of the best blade tempering men in the business. I have his 'French' model round knife and love it.

This leads to my question for Horsewright and the reason for joining this fine forum.

Horsewright: I had Terry's 'Shark' Knife on order when he informed me of the fire that resulted in his canceling all open orders.

Have you looked at making something like this Shark blade? I primarily make small leather goods.
Let me know, Thanks, James

Welcome James. Not familiar with the shark style. I didn’t see it on his website? Ya got any pics?

Welcome James. Not familiar with the shark style. I didn’t see it on his website? Ya got any pics?

Thanks Horsewright. Appears i am unable to insert pix so pasted the url pointing to photos of this knife below. I would categorize it as 'utility/trim' wharncliffe style blade.

67Dam

Email it to me and I’ll post it. But i’ll Be drowning flies in a stream for a couple.

Thanks Old Biker. Yes I could build something similar. I probably wouldn’t do the bolster though unless it was really wanted. Just extra expense really.

Got into a bunch of nice wild Brown’s.

Back