Leather sewing machine.

For making sheaths and scabbards. I usually hand stich but was looking for something a little quicker. (Mabee) I am seeing the ones on amazon reasonably priced I think they are manual crank. Are they ok entry for level or are they 100% junk. also, any recommendations and links would be great.
Thanks Jerry

I bit the bullet a while back and bought a cobra class 3. $$$ but never ever regretted it. If I were to do it again I would buy a Cobra class 4 as after I started making better sheaths with the new machine I started making all kinds of leather goods. It transformed something I hated (sheath making) into something I really enjoy.

Also Paul Longs sheath DVDs really helped as well.

I bit the bullet a while back and bought a cobra class 3. $$$ but never ever regretted it. If I were to do it again I would buy a Cobra class 4 as after I started making better sheaths with the new machine I started making all kinds of leather goods. It transformed something I hated (sheath making) into something I really enjoy.

Also Paul Longs sheath DVDs really helped as well.
Thank you sir I will check it out

panzerjunky,
If you had your profile filled out with your location, I bet there are folks with a leather stitching setup that might give it to you or sell it dirt cheap.

Truth is the cheaper models on amazon are for very thin materials, and would be a waste of money for trying to sew thick sheath leather. The better quality (also higher priced) machines like Cobra or Cowboy are designed specifically for sewing heavier stacked leather goods. I purchased the Cobra 4 and never looked back. Check out the "Sheaths and Such" section and ask Horsewright Horsewright for advice, His work is exceptional and he shares his knowledge of leather crafting freely....Great guy!!

ETA: I believe Dave Horsewright Horsewright has sewn so much leather that he wore out his first industrial sewing machine:oops:
:D:cool:

Truth is the cheaper models on amazon are for very thin materials, and would be a waste of money for trying to sew thick sheath leather. The better quality (also higher priced) machines like Cobra or Cowboy are designed specifically for sewing heavier stacked leather goods. I purchased the Cobra 4 and never looked back. Check out the "Sheaths and Such" section and ask Horsewright Horsewright for advice, His work is exceptional and he shares his knowledge of leather crafting freely....Great guy!!

ETA: I believe Dave Horsewright Horsewright has sewn so much leather that he wore out his first industrial sewing machine:oops:
:D:cool:
Thank you sir for the kind words.

If you are wanting to sew sheaths definitely the Cobra 4. Many lighter machines will say they will sew say 7/16" or 1/2" thick and will use heavier thread but they won't, not well. I have never heard of anyone buying a Cobra 4 and wishing they hadn't. The after sale service is legendary and deservedly so. We have a Cobra 4 which I use on heavier items, sheaths, rifle scabbards, horse tack etc. We have a Cobra 18 for lighter work: wallets, belts, bags, chaps etc We also have a Cobra Np 4 Skiving machine which my wife uses often on her bags. Wants on our outfit? Cobra 26, a smaller cylinder arm machine. Sews about the same weights as the Cobra 18 but is a cylinder arm machine not a flatbed like the 18. Comes certain times on certain projects ya need a flatbed and other times a cylinder arm. Also on the want list but kinda on the back burner is a Cobra Class 14 splitter. We get around needing that for the most part by buying different weights of leather. Ya wanna look up Leather Machine Co.

Interesting story to relate about their legendary service. Resharpening the skiving machine is kinda complicated and they tell ya just call Vince when ya need too. I've done it enough now I don't need to call Vince anymore but awhile back it was time. I called and told Heather the gal that answers the phone I needed to talk to Vince. She says let me let ya talk to Dave (one of the owners) as Vince isn't in. Dave picks up and says Oh ya need to sharpen, yeah ya want Vince, he's home sick (with the rona), here's his personal cellphone number. What I'm not gonna call him at home if he's home sick! Oh go ahead, he'd probably enjoy the call. You don't pay him enough. Yeah I do. So I called Vince. Dang if he didn't talk me through it and we ended up talking for bout an hour, I think he might of been bored. Anyhoo fixed me up literally from his sickbed at home. If you gonna buy a leather machine get the Cobra and if you want to make sheaths, holsters, scabbards etc get the 4. They come in the Premium and Base packages and I got the base package myself. Haven't seen the need, at least how I work for a lot of the other do dads in the Premium package.

A few Cobra 4 projects:

I6JoIoU.jpg

TB1qIrp.jpg

XreIYOy.jpg

iDjOAPo.jpg

O4tkKZY.jpg

CLfpJPZ.jpg

Both Machines:

kNwD6PL.jpg

On this Rangeflap holster the water buffalo leather lining is sewn in using the 18 and then holster is sewn together using the 4.

5iQOpDw.jpg

Same on this Tote Bag. All stitching is done on the 18 except the final top stitch at the top of the bag, which is done on the 4:

yNds4HF.jpg

KMDKqXG.jpg

8GgpMEr.jpg

eD6tT4n.jpg

CZCXf31.jpg

7lIUeDt.jpg

Cobra 18:

Qu9GL4b.jpg

6nSLRej.jpg

5U4xeFB.jpg

fDLMNj7.jpg

F8yDyWQ.jpg

4lbmlUZ.jpg

Anyhoo , ya get the idea.

Dave's work is of such high quality that even with a Cobra 4 I'd never even come close. I did purchase a one of the "cheap" Chinese Shoepatcher "walking foot"manual machines. I've spent a LOT of hours fooling with it, even mounted a servo motor to make it electric - BIG improvement. I've smoothed things up some, cleaned up so it will actually take a #25 needle and #277 thread, but doesn't really sew good at that level. Not at all. I've done a good bit using #207 thread which it works most of time. Best by far is #137 thread.

It works really good with 2 layers of 8 oz leather and pretty good with 3 layers of "soft" 8 oz leather. I've sewed a test stack 3/8" thick of "soft" leather with success, but sure wouldn't wish to try a lot of it. After playing with this machine a good bit, and learning LOTS in the process the Shoepatcher isn't a machine I'd recommend to folks for holsters and sheaths, unless you enjoy "tinkering" to make things work - AND understanding you'll need to use lighter than normal leather for some mulit-layer projects. Perhaps decide to use soft 6 oz lather also? I don't regret purchasing the machine, I enjoy tinkering :)

Thank you sir for the kind words.

If you are wanting to sew sheaths definitely the Cobra 4. Many lighter machines will say they will sew say 7/16" or 1/2" thick and will use heavier thread but they won't, not well. I have never heard of anyone buying a Cobra 4 and wishing they hadn't. The after sale service is legendary and deservedly so. We have a Cobra 4 which I use on heavier items, sheaths, rifle scabbards, horse tack etc. We have a Cobra 18 for lighter work: wallets, belts, bags, chaps etc We also have a Cobra Np 4 Skiving machine which my wife uses often on her bags. Wants on our outfit? Cobra 26, a smaller cylinder arm machine. Sews about the same weights as the Cobra 18 but is a cylinder arm machine not a flatbed like the 18. Comes certain times on certain projects ya need a flatbed and other times a cylinder arm. Also on the want list but kinda on the back burner is a Cobra Class 14 splitter. We get around needing that for the most part by buying different weights of leather. Ya wanna look up Leather Machine Co.

Interesting story to relate about their legendary service. Resharpening the skiving machine is kinda complicated and they tell ya just call Vince when ya need too. I've done it enough now I don't need to call Vince anymore but awhile back it was time. I called and told Heather the gal that answers the phone I needed to talk to Vince. She says let me let ya talk to Dave (one of the owners) as Vince isn't in. Dave picks up and says Oh ya need to sharpen, yeah ya want Vince, he's home sick (with the rona), here's his personal cellphone number. What I'm not gonna call him at home if he's home sick! Oh go ahead, he'd probably enjoy the call. You don't pay him enough. Yeah I do. So I called Vince. Dang if he didn't talk me through it and we ended up talking for bout an hour, I think he might of been bored. Anyhoo fixed me up literally from his sickbed at home. If you gonna buy a leather machine get the Cobra and if you want to make sheaths, holsters, scabbards etc get the 4. They come in the Premium and Base packages and I got the base package myself. Haven't seen the need, at least how I work for a lot of the other do dads in the Premium package.

A few Cobra 4 projects:

I6JoIoU.jpg

TB1qIrp.jpg

XreIYOy.jpg

iDjOAPo.jpg

O4tkKZY.jpg

CLfpJPZ.jpg

Both Machines:

kNwD6PL.jpg

On this Rangeflap holster the water buffalo leather lining is sewn in using the 18 and then holster is sewn together using the 4.

5iQOpDw.jpg

Same on this Tote Bag. All stitching is done on the 18 except the final top stitch at the top of the bag, which is done on the 4:

yNds4HF.jpg

KMDKqXG.jpg

8GgpMEr.jpg

eD6tT4n.jpg

CZCXf31.jpg

7lIUeDt.jpg

Cobra 18:

Qu9GL4b.jpg

6nSLRej.jpg

5U4xeFB.jpg

fDLMNj7.jpg

F8yDyWQ.jpg

4lbmlUZ.jpg

Anyhoo , ya get the idea.
My Gawd Your work is beautiful. I agree I am pricing out a cobra 4 right now. I will also fill out my profile stuff mabe someone has one they might want to trade for ///Stuff???? and cash LOL
Thanks For sharing the badass pics

I believe the old pedal pushers work well for thicker material. And have seen them at not to insane prices.

To bad you are in San Diego. I have an old Consew mattress stitcher I converted to sewing leather I would give away. It isn't strong enough for heavy sheath work but would be great for light sheaths and leather garments/projects and things like shop aprons, chaps, or knife rolls.

I have a Tippman Boss hand crank leather stitcher that works well for sheaths. They run right at $1000. They aren't a Cobra stitcher, but they are a lot cheaper..

My Gawd Your work is beautiful. I agree I am pricing out a cobra 4 right now. I will also fill out my profile stuff mabe someone has one they might want to trade for ///Stuff???? and cash LOL
Thanks For sharing the badass pics
Ya bet! So since you are in San Diego it would be worth the drive up to the Sewing Machine Co to pick up your Cobra, They're in Ontario. First obviously you're gonna save on shipping, Second they will have it all put together for you and purring like a kitten. Third they will spend quite a bit of time with you making sure ya know how to use it. Fourth they will load it in your pick up truck for ya and strap er down. Just have a couple friends at home to help ya unload it. BTW I run 207 size thread top and bottom. I never change size of thread I will occasionally change colors for special projects but not size. Pink 207 for this project:

uTe45da.jpg

If ya can swing it you are on the right track.

Dave's work is of such high quality that even with a Cobra 4 I'd never even come close. I did purchase a one of the "cheap" Chinese Shoepatcher "walking foot"manual machines. I've spent a LOT of hours fooling with it, even mounted a servo motor to make it electric - BIG improvement. I've smoothed things up some, cleaned up so it will actually take a #25 needle and #277 thread, but doesn't really sew good at that level. Not at all. I've done a good bit using #207 thread which it works most of time. Best by far is #137 thread.

It works really good with 2 layers of 8 oz leather and pretty good with 3 layers of "soft" 8 oz leather. I've sewed a test stack 3/8" thick of "soft" leather with success, but sure wouldn't wish to try a lot of it. After playing with this machine a good bit, and learning LOTS in the process the Shoepatcher isn't a machine I'd recommend to folks for holsters and sheaths, unless you enjoy "tinkering" to make things work - AND understanding you'll need to use lighter than normal leather for some mulit-layer projects. Perhaps decide to use soft 6 oz lather also? I don't regret purchasing the machine, I enjoy tinkering :)
Thanks for the kind words Ken!

Ken spoke what I was thinking, and the examples shown is a LOT of craftsmanship that comes from years of experience and a love for what they do.

Ken spoke what I was thinking, and the examples shown is a LOT of craftsmanship that comes from years of experience and a love for what they do.
Thank you sir! Should give a proper shoutout to the wife. She does most of the belts, all the bags (well except those buffalo saddlebags) and that notebook and Horseshoe drink coasters.

You're right Dave - we're always complimenting you on the knives and leather. From all the photos and your words it obvious your wife is very involved and skilful with both knives and leather. I suspect since you're the one who posts, we tend to overlook your wife and that's not fair to her.

So, GREAT WORK Dave's wife :)

You're right Dave - we're always complimenting you on the knives and leather. From all the photos and your words it obvious your wife is very involved and skilful with both knives and leather. I suspect since you're the one who posts, we tend to overlook your wife and that's not fair to her.

So, GREAT WORK Dave's wife :)
Thank you sir! I have already shared this with her. She is pretty handy. Cuts out blades:

4vS5A0c.jpg

swYKnmA.jpg

9wG1QWi.jpg

She'll help me with the bolsters most of the time too. Sometimes she just comes for a shop visit:

BSP2MU9.jpg

She does most of our flower tooling and made this pair of leggings for a local gal:

nB1kwm8.jpg

ksx0WFL.jpg

fLK8Hbx.jpg

She handles lots of the "cowboss" work on our ranch well because she's way better at the paperwork side of things then I am.

pFjCptk.jpg

uWcm1Eb.jpg

She does most of the cutting on our ranch too (all bull calves are castrated to become steers).

wwoDxIa.jpg

And so surgical with that castrater, (nutter in cowboy vernacular), that they hardly bleed.

MhVagWw.jpg

Excels at the sorting, even while doing the paperwork:

vuV4jKP.jpg

Handy with a rope too:

NpUhBcg.jpg

VrzAYtZ.jpg

Ya get the ideal pretty handy.

Dave, we all enjoy the photos of around the ranch work. Being raised on a farm and handling cattle I'm familiar with much of the ranch work, but it the 4th photo up from bottom. what in the world is that metal contraption inside her right leg? Educate me please :)

An electric branding iron. We're a pretty traditional outfit but we do run our irons off of a generator. Electric brands make a clear and clean brand and you don't have the danger of a fire going in always dry and windy country. Thats actually our partner Steve's brand, The Que Pasa brand, (think of an upside down question mark). Ours is a reverse D N connected over a quarter circle. Nichole, my wife, is so good at cutting calves that she does his too not just ours these days. So as soon as she's done cutting he'll brand that calf. Here's ours and ours can be on the left shoulder or the left hip:

fziFAcp.jpg

hqfBQ37.jpg

qJzHMta.jpg

New bulls we'll do in the chute. Lil easier on the ground crew!

cVOclhp.jpg

mBO41j9.jpg

Yeah ya'd probably not want to wrassle this guy on the ground:

4svSZRU.jpg

The ground creaked when he walked up the chute! Standing on the catwalk looking down on him it was like looking down on a pick up truck he was that big. Bulls don't have a long service life, 6/7 years old is getting there for most guys. This one went to 9 years and when we sold him even, at that advanced age, he weighed 2200lbs!

Here Steve is burning one of his. His brand is only on the left shoulder.

J5NLpjM.jpg

Ao4KEoB.jpg

xXrK8f1.jpg

Last edited:
I KNOW the Cobra 4 is the ultimate. However for a hobbyist has anyone used a hand crank like Weaver leather sells. It comes with high reviews but you know how reviews go. By the way I love Weaver leather for the hobbyist as far as leather buying. Totally satisfied. 10 times better than Tandy. I'm sure it's not the quality of top brands but WAY better than Tandy.

Back