1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Leather Sheath Makers for Ratweiler?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by gentemanndvm, May 1, 2014.

1. gentemanndvm

gentemanndvm

Nov 2, 2010
    Hi all, got my notice today that my Ratweiler LE is close (Orange/Black G10 - it's going to be awesome!). Next up, sheath. I think I'm going to go Leather or Leather over Kydex for this one. Anyone know of any BF sheath makers that happen to have a Ratweiler in house to make one from?

I did search around BF before starting this thread, but I didn't see anything - that said, my Bladeforums Google-Fu might be weak. Entirely possible someone already asked this and I just missed the thread. Sorry if it's already been discussed.

Thanks for the help!

2. J&G-Designs

J&G-Designs

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't have one in stock but I have made sheath for it before leather or leather and kydex.

Attached Files:

3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Congrats on the Ratweiler. The new ones do scream for Leather IMO :) I suspect there will be some more makers along shortly, as there are several that frequent here.

Man that sheath looks awesome J&G. Do you find the handle keeper strap necessary when you do the kydex insert or did the customer just request that? :thumbup:

4. J&G-Designs

J&G-Designs

Jul 27, 2012
    Not necessary at all it was a customer request. But when I tried it on it did help with the handle staying closer to my hip than flopping around.

5. gentemanndvm

gentemanndvm

Nov 2, 2010
    thanks for the replies, gentlemen.
    sorry I was tardy in responding, didn't hop on the interwebz this weekend.

j&g, I may bug you down the road. my try and save money hope was that a maker would have one, saves $$ shipping a knife both ways. hopefully the blade gets here soon!

6. Hindsight

Hindsight Moderator Moderator

Dec 8, 2011
    Lots of guys making sheaths for them. They may be a little busy but I am sure they will be along shortly.

7. coldethyl

coldethyl

Aug 18, 2008
    so..any sheaths yet? lets see some pics.:)

8. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    I'm sitting here wondering how close these are to the overall dimensions of the original, besides thickness that is?

Hindsight? Please and thank you!

9. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    You know your going to end up buying one!!! Plus then you can start making sheaths for them so think of it as an investment!!

10. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    Dilemma is I have an original, hard to justify to the wife if its the same dimensions.

Hopefully someone with both will chime in! :)

11. kenash

kenash

May 23, 2010
    Trace an outline, record dimensions, and send them to Armoralleather when you get it. I have Dwayne's work. It's really good!!!

12. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Here is Dwayne's sheath made for a horse riding I believe. Got the Ratweiler off the original Rat in Au... ;) A piggyback set up for Ratweiler and HRLM:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    Now there's an old one! Egad, it looks so bad! Send it in for a spa treatment before it breaks the camera! :eek:

iirc, that was for a CT and original Howler, but it fits the other two just fine eh? :)

Thanks for the kind words Kenash, :) Since I have an original I bet measurements and an outline, carefully done, would work.

14. Skystorm

Skystorm A Cow Flayin' Sheath Making Angry Gnome

Oct 17, 2011
    I have one in house that we are currently building a few different styles for. Should have some ready in a week or so.

15. gentemanndvm

gentemanndvm

Nov 2, 2010
    sorry guys, haven't been checking my subscriptions recently. I'd be happy to measure my new one for comparison's sake, but I don't have an older one for direct comparison, and I don't have any calipers to accurately measure thickness. but I can give it a go in the next couple days, take some pics next to a ruler, etc, if that will help?

btw, one of those Skystorm sheaths being built in the next couple weeks is mine mine mine.

I've got both Armorall and Skystorm sheaths, and both are fantastic pieces of work. can't speak highly enough of both!

16. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    Ooh Yes! Blade length and width would help so much, many thanks! Thickness is not as much of a concern at this point. :)

17. coldethyl

coldethyl

Aug 18, 2008
    the LE is 7 1/2 from tip to handle. width is 1.80 at it`s widest point. there is a bit of a hump to the spine.

18. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    Much appreciated :) Now I've got to get my old Ratwieler out of the cabinet and see how it measures up!

19. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    Finally got my original Ratwieler out and its 7 3/4" long by 1 7/8" wide. Looks like I'll need an outline or an LE sent in.

20. paul'ie

paul'ie

Jun 6, 2012
    Dear Sir,
    I'm also looking for a Sheath for my Ratweiler, I got mine in the 1/4" thickness last short run by Swamp Rat. Please contact me at 440,-212-5665 or e-mail me at [email protected], Thanx in advance

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk