Leather weight for knife slips

ron55

Gold Member
My Niece's 13 year old is getting into pocket knives and making leather slips. I'm getting him some leather for a Christmas gift. Looking at water buffalo hide for its rougher look.

Weaver has 3 options. 2-3, 4-5, and 5-6 oz.

I've made slips at a variety of weights. But to you slip makers out there, what weight would you recommend for pocket knife slips?

We use the water buffalo in our Buckaroo pouches. It works well. We use the 4/5 weight. We don't use it for the tether strap on these though as its too stretchy for pulling on. But it does work great for the body of the pouch. We keep some of the 2/3 weight on hand but its pretty thin we use it mostly for linings on my boot sheaths and Rangeflap holsters.

We use the water buffalo in our Buckaroo pouches. It works well. We use the 4/5 weight. We don't use it for the tether strap on these though as its too stretchy for pulling on. But it does work great for the body of the pouch. We keep some of the 2/3 weight on hand but its pretty thin we use it mostly for linings on my boot sheaths and Rangeflap holsters.
Thanks!!

Back