Leatherman Blast Vs. Vic. SwissTool.....

Last night, i stopped off at KTP and checked out their used knife cabinet, they had a Vic. SwissTool there for $45, thing is, i already have a Leatherman Blast, the main difference i can see in the pliers is that the Leatherman pliers are longer and more of a needlenose design, which i like, the SwissTool, which has a better blade setup and the correct blade orientation (coming out of the bottom handle) has stubbier pliers

i know the SwissTool is better on paper, so i was considering trading in my Leatherman for store credit and getting the SwissTool to replace it, i'd be getting better knives and a more corrosion-resistant design at the ecpense of needlenose pliers...

corrosion hasn't been an issue so far, and i really do like the Leatherman's needlenose plier design over the SwissTool's conventional pliers.....

what to do, what to do....

If you want something a bit heavier and beefier than go for the Swisstool .The swisstools pliers are still very good and you can get a hell of alot of power behind them , its just they are not as needle nose .Have you thought about a Spirit ?

Dunc

Well, i went for the Swisstool, traded in my old Leatherman, my Vic Spartan Lite which i have taken an irrational hatred to, something about it just makes me ...... angry, maybe it's that useless flashlight with the hypersensitive switch and obscure batteries, Victorinox, i love your knives, but please, PLEASE, leave the LED flashlight market to experienced vendors, a 3MM LED puts out *no* usable light

anyway, back on subject, the Swisstool outmatched the Blast in almost every feature, the only feature the Blast had that the ST didn't was a pair of scissors, not a dealbreaker as i have a far superior set of scissors on my keyring (Leatherman Micra), as well as all 3 SAK's, the last thing i need is another pair of scissors

the ST is built like a *tank*, heavy, solid and *overbuilt*, could probably pound that inferior Blast into a thin sheet of crappy 420, there was a *tiny* bit of surface rust on the plier jaws, but all the tools were solid and new, a quick scrub with 000 steel wool and the rust was gone, both blades were factory sharp, all tools opened with a positive click, the lock held secure

don't get me wrong, the Blast was a good multitool, there were things i didn't care for about the way it was built, however.....

first off, the steel for the tools (420 i believe) was substandard, the knife wouldn't hold an edge, i know multis aren't typically known for their blade quality, the knife is typically an afterthought (154CM in the high-end Leatherman aside....), it never rusted though, although i know that's an issue with the basic LM series

secondly, having to open the pliers to access the tools was an annoyance

finally, *in theory*, the lock mechanisms could be prone to unlocking the tool when "white knucling" the tool, squeezing hard on the base of the tool arms can unlock the locks

the ST addressed these issues;

1; the blades and tools are constructed of the same steel used in the SAK's, and i've always been happy with SAK steel performance
2; tools are accessed from outside the tool
3; locks are located on the *side* of the tool, much harder to release under "white knuckling"

and on top of that, the tool just feels solid, more substansial and built to last, the plier action itself is much smoother than the Leatherman

the Leatherman was a great intro into multitools, my SwissTool was the next logical step up, i'm very happy with it

MacTech said:
Last night, i stopped off at KTP...
I apologize, but I'm terrible with acronyms. What does "KTP" stand for...? I'm asking just in-case there might be a "KTP" near me, and I'm not recognizing that acronym right off the bat. ;)

I think that you'll be increasingly happy with your SwissTool.

GeoThorn

KTP is the Kittery Trading Post, a local sporting goods outfitter in Kittery, Maine, i just happen to live about a 5 minute drive from it, so i stop in on a regular basis

it's a *HUGE* store, the main store has 3 levels, basement floor is fishing, main floor is clothing, top floor is archery, knives, shooting sports, camping, watersport, skiing, across the road in another mini-mall they have their "X-Sports" department (bicycling, paintball, surfing)
NoEnt-July25c.JPG

it's actually *bigger* and has more actual *sporting goods* inventory than that *other* famous Maine "sporting goods" shop (L.L. Bean in Freeport, Maine), Bean has basically become a yuppie clothing store, you could fit the *entire* Bean sporting goods inventory *inside* the fishing floor of KTP
NoEnt-July25d.JPG

L.L. Bean may be more famous, but KTP is *bigger* and has actual sporting goods supplies, the firearms department alone is *huge*...
gunfloorshoppers.jpg

(Mods, if the images and links are a problem, feel free to edit/delete them as you see fit :) )

Thanks, MacTech! I was up in Kittery in 2002, and I want to get back up there, sometime. Now that you've informed me of the KTP, I have even more reason to return!

Thanks again,
GeoThorn

Really glad you like your new Swisstool , I carry a Swisstool RS which has scissors and a curved rescue/seatbelt cutter blade instead of a file and straight serrated blade .But in the past ive owened the Std and X models and they are very nice tools.Although i like and carry a LM charge Ti sometimes it doesnt compare to the Swisstool :D

Dunc

Swisstool has the best pliers... Hands down.

It is the most robust when compares with LM's needlenose and long cutting jaws pliers.

Back