1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

leatherman charge tti vs new wave black edition

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by zyhano, Mar 1, 2011.

1. zyhano

zyhano

Dec 3, 2009
    Hey guys,

here's another review from me comparing the leatherman charge tti and the new wave black oxide edition.

I'll post this in the knife reviews subforum too, but wanted to let you guys be the first to know :p

both excellent multitools that are very very similar. I enjoy carrying them a lot and here's my take on them.

enjoy!

table of contents:

part 1:
    - introduction
    - tool closed: general observations and the outside of the tool
    - knife handle: clip point knife with opening hole(steels, rust resistance, sharpening) and file (diamond coated, rough file and metal saw)
    - saw handle: wood saw and serrated edge blade (with rescue cutting hook)
    - lanyard ring, (hidden) fixed lanyard ring and pocket clip
    [youtube]mRMohIXg1PQ[/youtube]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRMohIXg1PQ
    part 2:
    - lanyard ring, fixed lanyard ring and pocket clip
    - the tool opened, inside the tool
    - the rulers (inches and centimeters)
    - the very versatile needlenose pliers, (hardwire) cutters
    - the knife handle: the bit driver, the bit kits, awl and marlin spike modification, the can / bottle opener
    - the saw handle: scissors, small bit driver (eyeglass tool) and the large flathead screwdriver / prying tool.
    - operation of the tool
    - ergonomics: tools and handles open and closed, material finish
    [youtube]h7uVljYakBE[/youtube]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7uVljYakBE
    part 3:
    - ergonomics continued
    - weight and size
    - fit and finish / construction
    - maintenance, cleaning and service
    - sheath options: leather and nylon (molle compatible) sheath
    - performance
    - pricing and value
    - warranty
    [youtube]f25WIVa4Y5Q[/youtube]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f25WIVa4Y5Q

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. winkydo

winkydo

Apr 28, 2009
    i ran across these videos on youtube earlier today while doing some windows shopping. i really like that rescue hook for work around fishing lines and nets so i think i may lean towards the tti whenever i get around to buying one of these two tools.

thanks for your videos, they really helped understand some of the differences between the two tools, and it's nice to know all the accessories really are the same.

3. zyhano

zyhano

Dec 3, 2009
    thanks winkydo :)
    I'm not sure what you mean by the accessories, since the accessories like the lanyard ring, pocket clip, sheath and the bits are not the same for both tools, the TTI has more bits and the ring and clip by default. You can however fit all accessories on both tools
    The tools on each multitool are practically the same (with the only difference being the rescue hook)

4. styx

styx

Apr 21, 2010
    Those were great reviews. But gotta tell you though that I got hit in the head because I was stuck to the PC for so long lol

5. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    EXCELLENT review. Makes me want a Charge TTi even more!
    Plus, you pointed out something that is present on the Wave (that I've had for probably 5 years) that I didn't know about: the hidden fixed lanyard ring! DUH!

And you know, I had LOOKED at that very thing before and wondered why there seemed to be an extra piece of metal there. I figured it was just a spacer or something. Again, DUH!

6. zyhano

zyhano

Dec 3, 2009
    Lol, you got into trouble with the girlfriend Styx? :D
    thanks Rockspyder, I also found that out pretty recently and I've never used it :) the other lanyard ring (removable) is a great feature that I use on my backpack all the time, when I attach the molle sheath to it. No chance of losing the wave even if the sheath comes open because I also attach via the removable lanyard ring. good when snowboarding or doing other active sports

7. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Yeah, I can definitely see the usefulness of the detachable lanyard ring. :thumbup:

8. styx

styx

Apr 21, 2010
    I wish! My mother chased me with a frying pan because I saw saying "yea yea I'll take the trash out now" at the beginning of the first vid. And then I managed to be late for some bs with my ex because I had to finish watching lol
    Hmmm maybe that's why she was so pissed at me? :confused:

9. JCK

JCK

Nov 7, 2009
    Great review Zyhano, really comprehensive. I just bought a Wave, but it was the non black, so I think thats the 2004 model. Looking forward to getting it.