1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Leatherman p4 free review initial impressions

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Yo Mama, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Updated review, better with a video to show what I'm referencing, so here you go again an update with unfortunately a few more negatives I found over the last week:

1. clip adds cost
    2. one handed opening smoothness also opens up play in the handles
    3. red loctite
    4. one handed opening for the center tools is ineffective and still requires two hands anyway!

Pomsbz, Brhowser87, jux t and 3 others like this.
  2. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I appreciate your review. I'm going to put this one on the back burner.

I'm pretty well set on multi tools. I have one every occasion with the Rebar being my go-to.

This one is cool, but beyond offering the butter fly opening I am used to with my ST300 and outside tools I have one a SOG tool costing half as much, I dont see a real need for this tool for my personal collection.

If I didn't carry a large premium steel folder as it is, I would just get nice Charge and be done with it. I'm still thinking I would get more "what if" utility out of a Tread.

3. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    If it makes you feel any better, these run around 200€ around here.

Yo Mama likes this.
  4. hemi1300

hemi1300 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Been using the free everyday for over a week now and still my favorite leatherman yet. Is really the perfect size, always thought the charge was a bit small and the surge a bit large and very heavy. The free is I believe a tad smaller than the surge but not nearly as heavy. I have absolutely no problems using every function of the tool one handed. Was in a pickle yesterday holding a heavy electrical panel directly overhead with one arm and needed a phillips screwdriver to close it. Pulled out the free and flicked the phillips out one handed. It really is not bad accessing the screwdriver bits one handed, roll your thumb over the hinge part and flick the driver open, closing the others with your thumb.

Butch, vwb563 and Yo Mama like this.
  5. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003
    I got a P4 and will use but I will not buy another. I am for the most part ST300 and Surge fan, and I wanted to try the P4 because it is new and I wanted to see if the 4.25 inch length would be big enough. So a few points that I found that I don't like. The Free P4 is not comfortable, it is not a big tool either, it feels cheap and not well made at all. Yes it has a few good points but the bad out way the good. So I got one and will keep it and use it from time to time but the ST300 and Surge are still the two I like the most. One last thing, if the P4 was say $79.00 would be a far better price for it. $139 plus change is way to high for this thing.

Daniel and Yo Mama like this.
  6. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Now I did get a chance to use the wire stripper built into the ruler and I do have to say I have finally found a positive in its favor! It helped me wire the new ceiling fan.

Brhowser87 likes this.
  7. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Now that I've thought on it the wire stripper even sucks on the p4, it's only for the smallest wire instead of the open stripper found on the wingman, sidekick. Wave, charge, ect......

8. irons

irons

Oct 19, 2018
    I've noticed the prices in the UK average around £195 for the P4(mostly pr-order). That's over $250. Not a chance of me biting at that price. I'll stick with my Wave.

I could buy both a Wave and a Victorinox Spirit for the same price as one P4. And from what I've read/heard they're far better tools.

Yo Mama likes this.
  9. hemi1300

hemi1300 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Shocked to see so many bad complaints on the p4. I am an electrician and pretty much h the only tool I use all day is a leatherman. I have never used the wire stripper groove on any leatherman, I just use the cutting blades on the pliers, lightly squeeze on the wire insulation and it pulls right off. Thought about going back to my charge tti or surge for a change, but so used to the one handed opening of every single tool on the p4 that I dread going back to the pliers requiring 2 hands to open. I will admit it does feel a bit cheaply built when first using, but I have dropped it numerous times and used the needle nose pliers as a hammer to bust out openings on an electrical box and the tool still performs like new. I have used a leatherman strapped to my side for over 10 years every day and still feel the p4 is a great tool. Leatherman has a great warranty, snapped the jaws on a few of my charge tti and they replaced the entire tool no questions asked, so if u think it is cheaply built, try to break it and they will replace it

Yo Mama likes this.
  10. nikoknife48

nikoknife48 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    No issues with my P4 also got the pocket clip for it and have the best of both worlds!

Yo Mama likes this.
  11. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I'm willing to give it a try, but innovative or not, that's a pretty steep price. I think I'll save up some points or giftcards before i get one. That's how i took the plunge on the MUT. Now the MUT is a pretty innovative hard use tool. Purpose driven to be overall niche but I'm glad i bought it.

The P4, i dunno.

Daniel and Yo Mama like this.
  12. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    I’ve been using the original wave and want to try a new tool out I’ve been stuck between the Free P4 or the Charge plus :confused:

Yo Mama likes this.
  13. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Charge for the win if it's the titanium version. I've grown to like some things about the free p4, but the charge has everything right about it.

Compared to the wave the charge is a bit bigger.

14. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    That seems to be the general thought on the free has it’s cool factor but is lacking compared to the other tools.

Yo Mama likes this.
  15. nikoknife48

nikoknife48 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yo Mama likes this.
  16. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Thanks for the review.

I'm not sure what pliers based multi-tool I want to purchase next.