1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Leatherman spring break, again.

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by jackknife, May 31, 2019.

1. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    This is the second time the scissor spring broke on my squirt. It's been about two years plus a bit since the last time I sent in for the same repair. Is this a long standing problem with Leatherman?

In all the Victorinox SAK's Ive had, I've had a couple scissor sprigs break But on the Vic they are owner replaceable and cheap. The last time I needed a spring, a little black classic I found laying by the curb in a grocery store parking lot, the nice lady on the other end didn't even charge me for the couple she sent me in the mail. Took about a minute and a half to replace.

Maybe Leatherman needs to look into the people making tier springs. Two springs in two years is a little too much. And the Leatherman scissors don't cut as clean as the Vic scissors. If this is going to turn into an annual event, I think maybe I need to go back to carrying just Victorinox products. It doesn't fill me with confidence in a product that breaks at regular intervals.

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Hasn't happened to my squirt yet not ever to my 23 year old Micra, but I did have it happen in a junky little made in China Gerber the day after I bought it.
    And I was clipping a small paperclip no less.

I hope this isn't a common problem, what were you using it on ?

3. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Nothing.

I took it out of my pocket to tighten a small Phillips screw and noticed a piece of thin metal sticking by the scissors. I opened up the scissors and the front half of the spring fell out. In truth, I don't even recall the last time I even used the scissors. I only carry the squirt for the drivers and small pliers. If I need scissors, the one on my Victorinox executive cuts way better. Had used the bottle opener the night before to pop off some beer caps.

4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Oh, scissors I was thinking pliers for some reason.
    That's still not good.
    Too bad they can't make them with a replaceable spring like Victorinox.

5. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I have broken a few on my small Leathermans and they replaced the entire tool instead of the spring. I finally started carrying a Victorinox and have yet to have a problem. If I do, I can order a spring and be done with it.

NirreBosse, jackknife and Grateful like this.
  6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I don't think I ever used the scissors on my two Ps4 Squirts. They get gunked up if you carry them in your pocket as I do on a key ring with my car keys. I think the springs are the weak link in general whether it be a Vic or a Leatherman.

I actually keep a spare Squirt just in case. But I doubt I will loose one of mine since I keep them on the car/truck key ring and I honestly check to make sure they remain in my pocket as it is way too much trouble with these electronic keys to replace them. Ace carries a key (Duracell) that will work for my Toyota Tacoma for a bit less than $100. That's right..... $80-$100 for a damn key!

7. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    That's the bottom line. I've had much better luck with Victorinox than Leatherman, and when a scissor spring breaks on a Vic, it take a full minute and a half to replace it. I've only had it happen twice in my life, and the last time was a little black classic I found in the parking lot of the grocery store. It was a old classic, with he scissors screw instead of the rivet and the old tang stamp. When I called Victorinox, the nice lady sent me a few of them at no charge. By contrast, the young lady I spoke with at Leatherman a few days ago was just a bit short of the walking dead or zombi phone help. I've heard more life in a garden rake.

I don't know if I will continue carrying the squirt. The only thing I really have found handy is the small pliers. Most times I reach for my pocket knife, it's to cut something. If I need a screw driver or can opener, my SAK will have it, or the Victorinox quarto in my wallet will do. The last several months I've been carrying a Victorinox executive, and the scissors on it are far and above the small Leatherman scissors.

I have mixed feelings on Leatherman, but I love Victorinox.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    J D Wijbenga and DocT like this.
  8. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    What a disappointment!

I read this thread expecting to see Spring Break photos with Leatherman.

Where are the pics?