Leatherman Style Question - Make it TSA compliant?

Anybody have a Leatherman Style? (not the CS or PS)

I see the pivot is a Torx. Can the knife blade be removed? Can it be replaced with something that is TSA compliant?

I do a lot of "hit and run" style business travel with no checked baggage, so everything I have has to be TSA compliant. I've considered using a die grinder to remove the blade from my Vic Classic so I can still have my scissors, nail file, tweezers and toothpick, but the thought of damaging a good knife makes me sick.

The Leatherman Style has everything the Vic Classic has except the toothpick, so if I can replace (or remove) the knife blade, it might do the trick.

I just bought a two pack of leather man style cs which are compliant at Costco

The CS has a knife blade. I can't legally get a knife blade past TSA.

I like the small size of the Style. The larger size scissors and bottle opener isn't worth the increase in size.

EDIT: Did you mean PS? The PS doesn't have a knife. Hmmmm... I'll take another look at the PS.

might not be worth the trouble given that the TSA is pretty arbitrary. You could just as easily drop the mini-leatherman in the bottom of your laptop bag, and see how many trips you get out of it before you loose it. not like it goes on your record. buy cheap ones from TSA re-sellers on ebay?

If you are committed to the cause, you can also drop a Vic Classic in an envelope and mail it to your destination.

might not be worth the trouble given that the TSA is pretty arbitrary. You could just as easily drop the mini-leatherman in the bottom of your laptop bag, and see how many trips you get out of it before you loose it. not like it goes on your record. buy cheap ones from TSA re-sellers on ebay?

Yeah... please, don't get me started on a TSA rant. It won't be anything that you (all) haven't heard before. The worst part is that I work at an airport and have full unrestricted airport access.

If you are committed to the cause, you can also drop a Vic Classic in an envelope and mail it to your destination.

I actually have Vic Classics pre-positioned at many of the locations that I regularly fly to, but I (like many of you) want something in my pocket.

I like this idea. :thumbup: You can buy tons of used Classics or Micras, etc. on the big auction site for next to nothing. If caught, just shrug and let 'em throw it in the bin.

Certain airports donate the "take" to various places for sale and fundraising, might be worth looking into. however it may take some asking around to find out, as it might not be really published.

Back