Leatherman Tools in hot water!

I've hunted also, though not this year. When I varmited two years ago- it was with my AR 223

I'm uncertain where hollow hoped to go with his 'no hunt- big gun' point.

And as a fact, an anti gun president does more harm than is controlled by either House. Remember, Clinton destroyed half the FFL owners in the United States by bureacratic red tape. None of that tape went through Congress.

The idea that a vote for Kerry does not impact the second amendment is simply wishful denial.

I'm not gung ho for the Republicans- they are not acting like Republicans- they are spending our children's future away.

Everyone should take a look at the other Red/Blue map- not the electoral college one, but the County by County image. You will clearly see that Democrats control all cities over 50,000 people.

That's why Nevada is conserative- until you throw in Vegas. Then it's good bye, Nevada.

This thread was about political speech. Leatherman did it and must take the consequences. I'm not going to knock those who bow out of a response to Leatherman and his products, and want mutual respect on both sides. Don't call me silly because Leatherman does not earn my dollar.

munk

Hey Rusty- I notice the first effects of the end of the AWB- Ruger hi cap mags on sale for 20 bucks again. I should have sold mine when they were going for 80.00 each.

hollowdweller said:
Good deal!!! I'd love to go elk hunting! We don't have them here. I like the idea of all that meat with just one shot.

Several hundred pounds of great meat!!!! You can live off of it! :D

cliff355 said:
Well, I hunt with leverguns but my concern is that sooner or later some of these political hacks are going to see an old B&W rerun of Chuck Connors emptying out his Model 92 Winchester - and their eyes will get big as saucers and things will proceed from there.
I have lever guns too and they are fun! Hopefully that will never happen. Keep fighting that fight and never give up!

hollowdweller said:
Good deal!!! I'd love to go elk hunting! We don't have them here. I like the idea of all that meat with just one shot.

HD

I thought you lived in the Tennessee/Kentucky area?

45/70; the Elk close to the Eastern Seaboard all support Kerry. Hollow couldn't consider eating one of those. He hopes one day to travel to the Mountainess West, where he can shoot a Red Elk. Of course, Red Elk are thought to be somewhat bitter in flavor compared to Blue Elk, at least that's what they say in New York City. We take that under advisement, knowing that schoolchildren in New York believe a Big Mac is Beef, and that milk comes from a spout out of a stainless steel tank....

munk

ps- this post is purely for entertainment purposes.

Munk, I was not trying to link *anything* to murder. It was just an example to point out how important gun control (or to be more exactly: the lack of ~) is to some (many?) people. Maybe, to some extent, for entertainment purposes. As ben-around said, killing non-christians would probably get our candidate a landslide victory ;)

Ben's been living in the 60's a long time. The US was against the arms embargo in Yugoslavia which left the moslems unarmed and the 'christians', formerly regime controllers, armed in a in a position for genocide. So, I just don't get it. I don't see any anti Moslem sentiment here, I see anti mad man sentiment here.

REally, I think you and Ben go too far- linking the war on terror to a supposition of a war on Islam is propaganda.

Richard, I don't know what anti American nonsense the British press prints, but the overall sentiment here is not anti Islam.
But I appreciate your talking to me.
I don't even see it as funny- but Ben's still back in the 'masses are fed what 'they' want them to believe kind of stuff from the 60's. He may 'see' more anti Islam sentiment than I.

munk

hollowdweller said:
Just wondering: How many of you all actually hunt? Seems like the main firearms conversation I hear here has to do with pistols and military knock offs with big magazines.
Admittedly, I'm a pipsqueek when it comes to guns. I have an older Remington .22 bolt action rifle and an old Ortgies 6.35 (.25 ACP) semi-auto "pocket pistol" from the 1920's. Both guns are fun to shoot.
hollowdweller said:
I'd be interested to know how many people actually use their guns to hunt versus just have them to have them?
I'm not a hunter (but I have been out with friends a couple times) and I don't carry the handgun unless I'm taking it somewhere to shoot. But I would be upset if someone told me I couldn't own them any more or buy another one if I choose. I will likely own another one.
Lately I've been taking my teen-age daughter to an indoor shooting range to teach her. We've had a lot of good bonding time "going shooting." She wants her own rifle now, too. "Something that holds more bullets" was her specific request. She may get it for Christmas, but don't tell. :)
We have friends & relatives with land, so I'd like to plan a trip out to the country this winter to go plinking with her.
So, although I don't hunt, I don't have my guns just to have them. I have them to shoot. Call it sport shooting.
Parry

munk said:
45/70; the Elk close to the Eastern Seaboard all support Kerry. Hollow couldn't consider eating one of those. He hopes one day to travel to the Mountainess West, where he can shoot a Red Elk. Of course, Red Elk are thought to be somewhat bitter in flavor compared to Blue Elk.
munk

ps- this post is purely for entertainment purposes.

No no no no

Kentucky Elk are imported from Utah, we have good god fearing Mormon elk here in this state.

Red Elk

Elk Hunting

BTW I wonder how it became that Democratic states were Blue and Republican were colored Red. I would think that historically speaking they would be the reverse.

I live in WV which has, unfortunately become a red state, so while I can walk out the back door and hunt red deer ;) there are no elk, red or blue anywhere in my state. Also since I'm a cheapass I only hunt on my own land because you don't have to have a hunting license to do it if you own the land. (you do still have to check in the animal though)

I don't know what state nearest me has elk. Do any of y'all? I believe there used to be elk at one time,(turn of century) but clearcutting and destruction of habitat wiped them out. We are getting coyotes again :(

found this:

: Elimination of its native habitat and uncontrolled hunting exterminated most of the elk from the eastern half of America before most western expansion began. However, the vast herds of bison and elk that roamed the western grasslands astounded pioneers moving over the endless prairie. "

Rusty said:
...Ben-Aroun probably stays on the coast cause there he's a flaming radical...
I started out on the East Coast. I stay on the West coast because it's as far as I can go without getting my feet wet.
I admit to being a radical but prefer being called "incendiary" rather than "flaming". Maybe I lived in San Francisco too long, but "flaming" implies a flamboyant wardrobe and an affected accent.

munk said:
...Ben's been living in the 60's a long time...
Back in the 60's I was involved in killing little guys in black pajamas who were trying to unify their country and expel the foreign invaders.

I'm glad I didn't kill them all, because since they took over this part of town and I have been shopping at their markets, I have found that they have really good tofu at cheap prices, the produce is really fresh because they turn every vacant lot into a garden, and I love their hot chili sauce.

It creeps me out though seeing all those cages and tanks full of live turtles, crabs, fish, and chickens. And, I would never buy the Bow-Wow B-Q.

Ben Arown-Awile said:
Back in the 60's I was involved in killing little guys in black pajamas who were trying to unify their country and expel the foreign invaders.

I'm glad I didn't kill them all, because since they took over this part of town and I have been shopping at their markets, I have found that they have really good tofu at cheap prices, the produce is really fresh because they turn every vacant lot into a garden, and I love their hot chili sauce.

Ben,

You got me laughing with that one!

munk, let's just forget about it, alright ? Obviously I don't express myself clearly enough, which is why you keep misunderstanding me. Btw, moslems aren't the only non-christians on this planet. Doesn't really matter though.

over and out.

best regards, Keno

(I'm not british)

hollowdweller said:
...Seems like the main firearms conversation I hear here has to do with pistols and military knock offs with big magazines...
But just it often seems to me some of the people who are the most pro gun are the least outdoorsy...
I have noticed that also. I was never interested in military weapons. I never played soldier when I was a kid either. The only times I had any interest in military weapons was when I had to qualify on the range every year. Of course when I was shipped to Viet Nam I learned real fast to appreciate government issue firearms.

I loved to hunt. It was my favorite sport, but I considered hunting as meat harvesting. I never killed anything I wasn't going to eat. I could never get behind using live creatures for target practice. My guns were my hunting tools. When I shot target or skeet it was for training to make me a better hunter. When I did gunsmithing or reloading, it was like working on my car, or taking care of my fishing equipment.

Since I hunted mostly in the thick forests of New England, and was a tracker and stalker, most of my shots were close up; so, I usually used a shotgun, except for squirrels and rabbits. For squirrels, I used a Remington Model 522 semi auto with a 4x scope. For rabbits, I removed the scope and used the iron sight.

For ducks I had a 12GA Remington Model 870 Wingmaster that I had fitted with a Herter's poly choke and custom slide. I also had a Browning 16GA semi-auto, and for a while a 12GA lever action. I think it was a Winchester.

I had a JC Higgins bolt action 12GA that I bored open and fitted with a ring sight to use as a slug gun for whitetails. It was heavy, tiring to carry, and in real cold weather, if there was any oil on the firing spring it would freeze and misfire. I only used it for one season.

For wing shooting of pheasants and partridge I used a 12GA L.C. Smith Double barrel.

But my favorite gun of all, and one I used most of the time regardless of what I was hunting was an old Iver Johnson 12GA single shot with an external hammer. It only weighed about five pounds. I mounted a sling on it and could carry it all day and not even notice the weight.

Except for ducks where multiple targets are common, I never needed more than one shot anyway.

When I lived in Colorado and hunted blacktails, I used a 30/06 built on a Mauser action with a custom stock and an 8X scope. It was a nice gun, but I didn't enjoy that open range kind of hunting with the long shots. I was used to being so close I could see the whites of their eyes and hear their breath. I always made a little noise before I shot so they would have one last chance to escape before I pulled the trigger. It just didn't seem very sporting to shoot them from a hundred yards away when they didn't even know I was there.

When I hunted in the mountains of Eastern Oklahoma, which was a heavily wooded area, I used a 30/30 lever action Winchester. I use the same gun hunting deer in East Texas, which was also a wooded area, but was flat. Shots were close like what I was used to. I really liked that 30/30. It was light and pleasant to use.

A few years later I became a vegetarian, I no longer ate animals, and appreciated them alive more than I did dead. I eventually realized that we were all connected on the spiritual plane (as well as the physical plane) regardless of our species.

I never gave up hunting though, I just gave up carrying a gun and killing. I still love to find some fresh tracks, slip on my moccasins, and go into stalking mode and sneak up on a couple of browsing deer. But now I try to communicate with them instead of killing them. I have become pretty good at it, and can usually approach within a few feet without spooking them just by thinking good vibes. They don't even run off when I talk to them. When they start to answer back, I will have to seriously reconsider my situation.

The last guns I owned were handguns and I kept them in case I needed to kill "the most dangerous game". But they were stolen by government Storm Troopers. I don't even care anymore. I don't need them. I know I have strength enough on many levels that I don't need any "equalizers".

Ben Arown-Awile said:
I loved to hunt. It was my favorite sport, but I considered hunting as meat harvesting. I never killed anything I wasn't going to eat. I could never get behind using live creatures for target practice.

But my favorite gun of all, and one I used most of the time regardless of what I was hunting was an old Iver Johnson 12GA single shot with an external hammer. It only weighed about five pounds. I mounted a sling on it and could carry it all day and not even notice the weight.

A few years later I became a vegetarian, I no longer ate animals, and appreciated them alive more than I did dead. I eventually realized that we were all connected on the spiritual plane (as well as the physical plane) regardless of our species.

Ben,

That's kind of my approach to hunting. I like to eat what I get. That's why I mainly deer hunt also. With squirrels and stuff you have to kill too many things for the same amount of nourishment. I have a friend whose husband kills like 6 deer a year. But he doesn't eat any of them! He gives them away. It is good they aren't wasted, but even though I am not Native American or anything I just don't feel right just killing stuff for sport. This guy is a big jock and he considers killing his limit the same as a big score in a golf game. Seems kind of obscene to me.

I also have a lot of friends that are vegetarians but they will eat deer or animals we have slaughtered on our farm because they mainly disagree with the factory farming and know we only take what we use and treat the animals we raise with respect.

A friend in high school found an old Iver Johnson single shot in an outhouse on an old farm and cleaned it up and he said that was the best shotgun he ever had. Excellent pattern.

Ah. Good point. I fish to go fishing, not to catch fish. Same for hunting. Though it's a great day to come home with something, you will always come home with peace of mind this way.

This can apply to many things. In sports, one team always loses. They agonize on the way home. Why? If you didn't enjoy the sport for its own sake, why else would you be doing it? At least you got to play.

If the fish ain't bitin', I'm still havin' a good day. Better than being in the office, no matter what.

AA

I like to hike and backpack too, so for me I don't need to go hunting to go into the woods. However there is probably no other time when I am in the woods that I am setting in one place for hours, and you do notice more stuff when you do that.

Back