Leatherman vs. Swiss Army

Dear BF users,
I have always been a fan of Leatherman. In fact, I have never owned another brand of multitool. Yet the swiss army mutlitools are starting to look pretty good. I was wondering if anyone owns both brands, and has a preference over the other. Any suggestions on a edc from SA would be greatly appreciated too. thanks -Bill

Sorry, I didn't include everything that I meant to. How does the Spirit match up? How is the weight compared to the Charge XTi/Ti? Is the durability there? Please include some good reviews, pictures, whatever...Thanks! -Bill

I like the spirit above all others I have tried. I won't go into details, as I have written a full review in this forum already:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342012

Your best bet is to do a search in this very forum, and read the reviews on the Sprirt, LM Charge etc. There are also about a half dozen LM vs. Swiss army threads here, and many opinions abound.

Anything that is currently made by the mainstream companies is good/great. After that it's all about the tools you need and what features you want/like.

Read up on these, and then go find them in stores and check them out... that's the best way to find what you like/dislike.

I have two leathermans and two swisstools .
The leathermans are a supertool 200 and a charge Ti .
The victorinox swisstools are an original and a X ( the X has scissors instead of a serated blade ) .
The supertool tends to stay in my bag as back up or a beater , its a prooven design and you can depend on it but its a bit old school what with the tool clumping and all the tools and blades are all inside the handles .
The charge on the other hand is a premium tool with all the bells and whistles , one handed blade opening and no clumping among other features like pocket clip and more comfertable handles and a 154cm blade and screwdriver bits that can be changed in all maner of ways , but they are short and stubby and no good on deep sunk screws .
The swisstools have ALL the tools accessible from the outside of the tool but no one handed opening , its heavy , very heavy but its very strong and i would say it was the strongest of the lot and it just oozes quality .I dont have a spirit but i will in the next few days so i will post my thoughts on it when i get it , but from what ive already read i think its gonna be good .
Every day i have the same battle do i edc the swisstool or the charge (does anyone else have this problem and if you make the wrong choice you spend the rest of the day wishing you had brought the other one along :rolleyes: ).Most days the swisstool wins just because i know if i really need it it wont let me down after edc one for 5 years and as i spend alot of time on the beach and in the sea it does not rust anywhere like a leatherman does .To put what ive said in a nutshell the charge is more user friendly but the swisstool is more solid and dependable .

Sorry to go on a bit

Duncan

I love the LM Wave the one handed feature is great.

I am not a fan of the two handed knives, in most of the cases you have the choice to open the blade with two hands, but I would like to be prepared if I only have one hand for opening the blade.

Because I am lefty I developed some skill with both hands.

Actually I can open the LM Wave blade with my lefty hand.

Video022

Video023

The LM wave is a strong multitool.

I own a Leatherman Wave and a Victorninox SwissTool R/S. I like both. Sometimes I carry both. Both have their pros and cons, depending on your needs.

The Wave is compact and lightweight. The needlenose pliers make many adjustments easy. The flathead and crosshead screwdrivers easily grab hold of worn screwheads. This tool is excellent for delicate work, taking apart a computer or putting together an entertainment center.

The SwissTool is heavy and solid. I've used it as an emergency hammer. The pliers are rounded, not needlenose. They are great for plumbing work. The screwdrivers are polished but solid. They may slip out of worn screwheads, but the drivers will not bend. I've used the drivers as emergency prybars will no ill effects.

If weight is the supreme consideration, choose the Wave.

If you're fiddling with your toilet, making a few repairs, or doing other heavy-duty chores, choose the SwissTool.

If you're fiddling with your computer or other electronics, choose the Wave.

If you can't risk a fold-out tool bending at a critical moment, choose the SwissTool.

If you need ALL the fold-out tools to lock in place, choose the SwissTool. If you don't mind non-locking screwdrivers, the Wave is fine.

If you prefer access to all fold-out tools without opening the multitool, choose the SwissTool. If you don't mind opening the tool, the Wave is fine.

To be honest, if I'm going out of town, I take both. One in my shoulderbag and one in my clothes bag. I always have either my SwissChamp or CyberTool 41 on my Belt.

Bear in mind that there are two versions of the LM wave.
1. Old wave: Non-locking drivers.
2. New wave: all locking drivers with interchangeable bits, beefier pliers.

And there are many variations on the swisstool
1. ST RS
2. ST X
3. (others possible)
4. The new and more compact ST Spirit which is a needlenose, not a blunt like the others.

As if you didn't have enough choices.

:)

Just got my new spirit about an hour ago , and i really like it ,if the original swisstool is too big or heavy for you get one of these , soooo well made , will tell you more about in the comming days as i use it .

Dunc

I have an original LM Wave and a Swisstool Spirit. The build quality of the Spirit is superior to the Wave (not that the Wave is bad), and I mostly prefer the selection of implements on the Spirit, as well as access to them with the tool folded. The Wave seems to have just one flat screwdriver after another.

However, the Wave does have the diamond coated file, plain AND serrated blades, and a better pouch (snap closure instead of velcro).

Hi guys - I thought I'd add my musings to this thread rather than start one of my own.

I was in Darwin recently an got an invitation to go on a 3 day fishing, gorge running expedition that was too good to refuse. After a day on the phone I managed to delay my flights home and take up the offer. Having just visited a freight/weight conscious oil rig I had none of my normal toys with me so I did some shopping for a few essentials. Conscious of the fact I was replicating a bit of the gear I had back home I decided to try a few different items – hey I can always pass them on or sell them later.

This is my long winded explanation for why I bought a Victorinox Spirit when I already have 2 very serviceable Leatherman Waves. I had in mind that the Sprit could be given to one of my mates as a gift but he hasn’t received it yet and probably never will. After using the LM Wave and the Vic Spirit for a month or two I thought people who are choosing between these two models might benefit from a comparison.

I’ve compared them head to head on a number of criteria as well as some common multi-tool tasks. I’m not a tradesman and don’t use the tools heavily – they are a convenience when traveling or in the bush. I tend to always have a toolbox handy around the home.

Style – The spirit has this in spades – in fact I’m calling it, right here and now, the worlds first ‘gents multi tool’. The smooth lines and minimalist ‘I-Pod’ style design, nicely crafted leather sheath with light brown stitching looks great with my jeans and RM Williams belt. Scoff if you want but there is a certain ‘look’ in country West Australia that black, high speed ballistic nylon doesn’t fit. Understated natural fibres, slightly faded cotton and well used leather all do. The LM sheath looks stupid, is bulky and will not survive my next visit to a sheath maker.

I place a bit more weight on the style factor as time goes on. Having shed my delusions of being a hard core, high speed operator who’s mission critical success, indeed survival, can be made or broken my not having exactly the right gear. Hanging around my mate Don, who was actually a hard core high speed individual (5 years in ‘the regiment’ and time spent in the ‘two way firing range’ in SE Asia and Africa) and seeing him make do with a small SAK and an old divers knife has made me realize that most situations can be handled with an adequate gadget and a bit of ingenuity – so why not go for a bit of style? My Seiko Auto divers watch is heavy, less accurate and has many less bells and whistles than a G-shock. But looking it at it gives me pleasure – the spirit does the same.

Carry ability – Spirit. Is much lighter and will compete well with the smaller Squirt style Leathermans. I can slip it on my pocket on or my belt and not have my posture, clothing hang or stride pattern altered by its presence. The Wave falls just outside this line for me so it tends to live in a bag. I must get around to getting a pocket clip sheath made for it one day as I find this a convenient way to use a heavy multi-tool, clip it on when you need it and take it off when you don’t.

Personal Grooming – LM Wave. I haven’t kept score but I’d bet with all my travels that this is the most common use of the multi-tools I have. From plucking unwanted hair, trimming nails, cleaning up blisters to shaving my lower leg so I can tape up my dodgy left ankle before scrambling over rocks (I am so tired of being the ‘heroine’ who sprains an ankle and needs carrying home – I say ‘heroine because that’s what my mates call me at the time). The scissors on the Wave, although small and more dinky looking on the newer version, work much better than the Spirit – in fact this is the only serious flaw in the Spirits design that I can see; the scissors don’t open wide enough, making them awkward to use on occasion, particularly when trimming nails. The Spirit doesn’t have a knife that can shave either. Although the Wave doesn’t have a super knife steel like the it’s more expensive cousin – the Charge, I can still get the plain edged blade hair flinging sharp and leave it that way, saving the serrated edge for brutal cutting. Shaving with the wave is still the most convenient way to prepare my girly ankle for taping and I reach for the LM even when I’m home and have access to a conventional razor. The needle nose pliers on the Wave are great for splinter removal – a common task on me and my dog. I haven’t tried the Spirits slightly fatter nose pliers for this yet but can’t imagine they would be as good.

Small repairs. Dead Heat. Around the home, when I’ve needed to use the screwdrivers, neither has been markedly superior. The smoother edges on the Spirit haven’t slipped in any threads yet. The longer reach in the Spirits Phillips head may come in handy at some stage but it hasn’t yet. Likewise I see no difference between the saw and files on either model. All in all, score this a major plus for the Spirit as it is much less endowed than the Wave in the tool department but I’m yet to find it lacking.

Cutting. Wave. At first glance, the lack of a proper knife on the Spirit is disappointing. But for cutting rope, string, cardboard and making wood shavings, the partially serrated, chisel ground sheepsfoot blade performs adequately. Also the lack of a point can be compensated for by the pointy awl. There is another multi-bladed chisel/wire stripper gadget on the Spirit that also soaks up scraping type duties that you might be tempted to use a knife for. Both serrated blades survived the dreaded nylon rope cutting test without blunting their teeth. I can also see the ‘butter knife’ appearance of the Spirit’s blade having some advantages in the PC stakes when traveling. All in all though, the two beefy knives on the Wave are better.

Cycling – Wave. This is a bit unfair on the spirit I suppose because I do have the tool bit accessory for the wave. The plastic sleeve for holding these slips nicely into the W.U.S. (worlds ugliest sheath). I can cover all of the common adjustments and running repairs on my road and mountain bikes (apart from tire levers) with these tools. The Leatherman always rides in one of my cycling jersey pockets and has been used extensively. Again the shave-ability of the plain edge knife is a bonus here, as one can make a puncture repair much more effective by shaving the bead off the tire in the effective area before applying the patch – the ridge created by the bead can affect the integrity of the seal. I was visiting a friend who owns a gym recently and he was complaining about his Monark 818 ergometer (fitness testing bike) and the fact that he couldn’t remove the plastic molding to access the chain and lubricate it because of these ‘funny looking screws’. Out came the Wave from the W.U.S. and in went a #10 torx head into the bit holder and his ergometer creaked no more (the chain was quite rusted from being sweated on constantly for a couple of years)

Comfort of use – Dead heat. If you wish for a more exhaustive comparison of this then you may have to ask someone who uses them more heavily than me. Use pliers for a few hours and the ergonomics or lack of, will be revealed. I had no problems with either. Both have smooth rounded handles that don’t pinch. I wired up a home entertainment area recently and had both tools within reach. For cutting and striping wire I didn’t feel hampered by picking up either. The longer, curved handles on the Spirit feel a little better for fine, controlled pliers use, but you’d need to be a fussy anally retentive type to care.

Toughness. Dead Heat. Again I’m going from a personal experience here. The Wave is beefier and looks tougher but I used the Spirit to undo a rusty bolt the other day, gripping and ripping it hard. The pliers slipped a few times on the bolt before we got it to move. No ill effects on the tool and no noticeable rounding of the teeth on the pliers afterwards. The more delicate looking Spirit is tough enough for me.

In summary – it’s remarkable to me how my personal debate between these two sounds exactly like the old Apple vs PC arguments. One model objectively has more functionality, while the other has a bit more style and creates subjective pleasure in ownership. The spirit will have its fans for sure – I’m one of them. Had I not owned the Wave beforehand and gotten used to the multi bits available (particularly torx and hex heads) I’d be perfectly happy with the Spirit.

good post, Ming65.

as for the new leatherman vs swisstools battle, i think they come very close, both had their pros and cons...... :thumbup:

note that LM now introduce their newest tools: core and surge, which probably have the strongest pliers without doubt. VIC should bring us new things here.

btw, one thing i hate that is the use of pins in multi-tool, this mean you had no way to replace tools or adjust the tools. i hope they can use screws instead of pins!

Nice comparison Ming! :thumbup:

Ming65 said:
Carry ability – Spirit. Is much lighter and will compete well with the smaller Squirt style Leathermans.

Correction, the Sprit is closer to an LM Juice, not a squirt, but the spirits' pliers are larger that the Juice, more like wave-size.

Ming65 said:
Personal Grooming – LM Wave. I haven’t kept score but I’d bet with all my travels that this is the most common use of the multi-tools I have. From plucking unwanted hair, trimming nails, cleaning up blisters to shaving my lower leg so I can tape up my dodgy left ankle before scrambling over rocks (I am so tired of being the ‘heroine’ who sprains an ankle and needs carrying home – I say ‘heroine because that’s what my mates call me at the time). The scissors on the Wave, although small and more dinky looking on the newer version, work much better than the Spirit – in fact this is the only serious flaw in the Spirits design that I can see; the scissors don’t open wide enough, making them awkward to use on occasion, particularly when trimming nails.
The scissors on the Sprirt are definitely too short.
Ming65 said:
The Spirit doesn’t have a knife that can shave either.
Another drawback for sure. I remedied that, and you can too, by removing the serrations and re-sharpening the blade. It can very easily be made shaving sharp and the sheepsfoot blade makes it look more razor-like (though it still has a belly, so I wouldn't shave my face with it).

Ming65 said:
... There is another multi-bladed chisel/wire stripper gadget on the Spirit that also soaks up scraping type duties that you might be tempted to use a knife for.
This is my favorite implement. Why do so few tools have a scraper/chisel blade, so many uses!

Ming65 said:
Cycling – Wave. This is a bit unfair on the spirit I suppose because I do have the tool bit accessory for the wave. The plastic sleeve for holding these slips nicely into the W.U.S. (worlds ugliest sheath). I can cover all of the common adjustments and running repairs on my road and mountain bikes (apart from tire levers) with these tools. The Leatherman always rides in one of my cycling jersey pockets and has been used extensively. Again the shave-ability of the plain edge knife is a bonus here, as one can make a puncture repair much more effective by shaving the bead off the tire in the effective area before applying the patch – the ridge created by the bead can affect the integrity of the seal. I was visiting a friend who owns a gym recently and he was complaining about his Monark 818 ergometer (fitness testing bike) and the fact that he couldn’t remove the plastic molding to access the chain and lubricate it because of these ‘funny looking screws’. Out came the Wave from the W.U.S. and in went a #10 torx head into the bit holder and his ergometer creaked no more (the chain was quite rusted from being sweated on constantly for a couple of years)

... Had I not owned the Wave beforehand and gotten used to the multi bits available (particularly torx and hex heads) I’d be perfectly happy with the Spirit.

I have the Sprirt PLUS, and the mini-ratchet/driver and standard 1/4" hex bits means that you can bring along any 10 bits you may need. (It all fits with the spirit in a supplied sheath.)

The sprirt and wave are very similar in size and performance. Both are high quality. I think it would be hard to say that one is better than the other in general. It depends on what particulars you want/need.

klattman said:
Nice comparison Ming! :thumbup:

I remedied that, and you can too, by removing the serrations and re-sharpening the blade. It can very easily be made shaving sharp and the sheepsfoot blade makes it look more razor-like (though it still has a belly, so I wouldn't shave my face with it).

Thanks klattman :)

Guess what I did last night? Using the coarse stone on my Lansky it took about half an hour to grind a fine bevel on both sides. A touch up on a fine stone and a bit of stropping and viola - a nice (almost) straight razor. Good ole SAK steel, soft as butter but easy to get sharp.

must look out for that mini ratchet driver..........

I have both the Charge and the Spirit and I would reccomend trying both of them out at a shop or something before making your decision, better yet, just buy the both of them!

Yea, the Spirit look more elegant, but the Charge looks more ninja like

Ming65 said:
Thanks klattman :)

Guess what I did last night? Using the coarse stone on my Lansky it took about half an hour to grind a fine bevel on both sides. A touch up on a fine stone and a bit of stropping and viola - a nice (almost) straight razor. Good ole SAK steel, soft as butter but easy to get sharp.

must look out for that mini ratchet driver..........

Yep, SAK steel is easy to work, I've altered most of my SAKs in some way (imporved the can opener, square off the drivers etc.)

I got the mini ratchet/driver with the "Spirit Plus", which contains the mini-ratchet, bit holder, and a corkscrew, all of which fits in a sheath designed for the "plus" version.

I do not know if they are sold separately _yet_, but they probably will be available for those wanting to "upgrade". You might want to ask a vic. dealer, they can probably special order the ratchet or CS etc.

Hi i have a leatherman charge Ti. The thing about the knives it that i don't under stand what 154 cm steel is!!!!!Can some one tell me what that means or what it is?

cheung_victor said:
Hi i have a leatherman charge Ti. The thing about the knives it that i don't under stand what 154 cm steel is!!!!!Can some one tell me what that means or what it is?

It's a steel that is supposed to be superior to most other knife steels. You can find lots and lots of info about steels on this forum and the internet.
154CM, VG10, S30V, 440*whatever*, AUS6, AUS8, 1095, D2, and lots more. They all have their own specs on edge retention, hardness, corrosion resistance etc.

klattman said:
I do not know if they are sold separately _yet_, but they probably will be available for those wanting to "upgrade". You might want to ask a vic. dealer, they can probably special order the ratchet or CS etc.

As far as I am aware the Spirit Plus kit is not yet available seperately - I know because I have been looking for one. I got the Spirit from Amazon when it was on sale for $38 - a deal I could not pass up. I have been to the official SAK shop in NY several times looking for the plus kit and they don't have it listed in their stock, so it can't even be ordered. Incidently, I was told by an employee there that if you order from swissarmy.com the product comes from this shop in NY.

I assume it will be available at some point either as a kit (like the original SwissTool plus kit was - not to be confused with the Spirit plus kit) or as individual replacement parts. The Spirit is still a relativley new product which might explain why it is not yet available.

freezergeezer said:
Hello Gatch

Where is the official shop please?

It is in Soho NYC. The address is:

Swiss Army Soho
136 Prince Street at W. Broadway
212-965-5714

It is a great place to look and feel the SAK products, but you are better off buying from elsewhere as it will be cheaper - this shop sells at the full retail price. It can be handy getting some hard to find parts as well.

Back