Leatherman Wave blade lockup

I just got a Wave yesterday and right off the bat spine wacked it. It passed on all blades. interestingly enough, when i tested my Benchmade Mini-Spike, it failed about 50% of the time. Maybe Leatherman should start making pocket knives! The Wave is an awesome knife too. I got it to replace my aging Gerber Multi-Tool. BIG improvement. The only reason I didn't get a Leatherman 2 years ago was because I didn't like the sharp edges that cut into your hand when using the pliers. The Wave is nice with those rounded edges. The Gerber doesn't bite you until your pliers slip off of your work. I even figured out how to filck open the pliersa on the Leatherman then open them up the rest of the way against my leg. Its almost as fast as the Gerber was and all with one hand. The scissors are nice too. the blades were scary sharp when i got it, popped hair right off of my leg. I can't test on my arm, no hair there to cut. Anyone else have a Wave and like it?

------------------
Just because I talk to myself doesn't mean I'm crazy. What's wrong with getting a second opinion?

I am very pleased with my Wave, although there are a few exceptions, the sheepsfoot blade doesn't open fast(no, oil, graphite, or white lightening don't work) and the clippoint blade dulls when it closes on the inside of the handle...but the lock-up and ease of release for both of the blades is perfect!

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

I also have the Wave, and it's probably the most useful tool that I've owned. It did need some break-in period before everything was operating smoothly.

Blade is shaving sharp as well, makes you think twice about carrying a folder, since with the Wave, you have both the plain, and the serrated blades in one.
smile.gif

Dan

I like the blades on it too. On my Gerber, i used the blade about 5 times in 2 years because its hard to get out and never real sharp. These blades are easy to get out and hair popping sharp. Nice.

------------------
Just because I talk to myself doesn't mean I'm crazy. What's wrong with getting a second opinion?

I was never able to make mine fail, hard as I try. The basic design helps prevent white knuckling. The fact that the liner is almost as thick as the blade helps too, IMHO.

Unfortuantely, my Wave is MIA. Fell out of my cargo pocket back in June [snif]....

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com

I also have a wave(got mine to replace an old gerber multi-plier too)and i love it.
i actually use the blades on mine, both open smoothly(but this is my second one, the first one had a problem with the clip point blade, it looked like the pivot was to tight(the star on the inside was damaged, also) and i returned it and got my current one)
i also really like having scissors and a saw.

i also noticed that the back of the saw blade works really well with my artificial flint for sparking.

Do you know what sort of steel is used for the blade? I read 420, but that doesn't sound like hair poping steel.

I believe 420 HC (high carbon) steel is used. However, I dont know any specifics about this steel.

------------------
Johnny
[]xxxxxx[]=============>

What a coincidence! I got my Wave to replace an old Gerber multiplier too, now if only the pliers on the Wave slid out with syntrifugal force too...

BTW: You're right, not exactly what I would call hair-popping steel, but the serrated sheepsfoot blade vorply cut through appx. 35 three-quarter inch thick corn stalks (don't ask) and was perfectly sharp at the end of the ordeal...good thing too, 'cause I don't have a sharpener suitable for serrated blades.

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

I found out how sharp the saw blade is on it yesterday. I was cutting a branch with the saw and just as I ws almost through it I realized my hand was in the blade's path. tried to move but I still got slashed across the knuckle. It didn't hurt at all because the blades are so sharp. If it had been th knife blae I prbably would have ended up in the ER since its so sharp I prbably would have sliced my tendon. Oh well, a knife isn't broken in until I've cut myself with it.

------------------

Back