1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Leatherman Wave+ ... Recurve?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by At1Rest, Jun 26, 2019.

1. At1Rest

At1Rest

Apr 11, 2019
    Hi there,
    Is the main blade of the Leatherman Wave+ a very slight recurve blade
    or is this just a mistake of some kind?

It's fairly new but is getting a bit dull so I'm wondering about touch up and eventual resharpening. I've not tried any thing yet.

Thanks!

Update: Just talked to someone at Leatherman and they confirmed that it's supposed to be a slight recurve.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. HallsquadSkates1984

HallsquadSkates1984 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Interesting! Never noticed. Thanks for sharing.

At1Rest likes this.
  3. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989

May 15, 2017
    I don't have a Wave+ but I have a Surge and it too has a slight recurve in the blade. Honestly wish it didn't. But it seems that the severity of the recurve differs from piece to piece. Some hardly seem to have any recurve at all. Hence I've always thought the recurve on mine was a mistake. Anyway the Surge's blade is the same as the Wave, only up-sized, so if it's intended to be recurved on the Wave, it's probably intended to be recurved on the Surge too.

Anyway, for my Surge, I find a ceramic rod is all I really need. Mine is roughly 1,000 grit JIS and looks like a Spyderco sharpmaker rod that's been cut to 1/3rd of its length. Blade gets ridiculously sharp super quickly and easily. But a rod with a rounded cross-section should work just as well or better.

At1Rest likes this.
  4. At1Rest

At1Rest

Apr 11, 2019
    Yea. I just ordered 2 Lansky rods ... a medium and a fine. I also wish it was a flat blade, but I'd still have bought it. it's a great tool.

I'm thinking of replacing the serrated blade with a second main blade so that I can experiment with reprofiling a bit.
    I think it would be nice to have a half hawk there instead of the serrated. If I can do that and do a good job then I might reporfile the main blade to be flat.

5. HallsquadSkates1984

HallsquadSkates1984 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2018
    I was under the impression the Wave and Charge were the same builds with upgraded materials on the Charge but my Charge does not have any recurve to blade. It was bought new so it wasn't altered by anyone and it's clearly a simple drop point.

At1Rest likes this.
  6. At1Rest

At1Rest

Apr 11, 2019
    Interesting. Thanks for the input.