Leatherman Wave vs. SOG Powerlock

After much research and reading here on BF, I opted for the SOG EOD Powerlock w/ V Cutter in Black Oxide as opposed to the Leatherman Wave. I don't think I would have gone wrong if I had bought the Wave, but I thought the SOG looked better on paper. I'm looking forward to getting the SOG, as it will be my first experience with SOG.
I had a hard time deciding between the V cutter and scissors, but went with the V cutter because I cut a lot of paracord. I hope I made the right decision. Worst case scenario is I buy a Wave, too!

the pliers are way better on the SOG

the V-Cutter has come in way more handy than i expected. it seems like it was designed for zip ties. it's perfect for them.

i like the knife access on the Wave/Charge better, but i never used them anyway

never had a leather man but i do love my SOG power lock. i will be buying a leather man soon though.

It's a good thing you got the V cutter because SOGs scissors barely cut paper let alone para cord.

The SOG in my opinion is a better wire cutter. I have used mine to cut bicycle cable locks. That is some serious cutting power.

My Leatherman is good as well, but does not seem to have the same leverage as the SOG. I do believe the advertising that SOG has "compound leverage" that double the pressure to be true.

I have both.

The Powerlock > Wave in terms of its finish, the ease with which the pliers open, the compound leverage of the pliers and the fact that you can replace tools if they break or remove ones you dont use or swap them out. I always take the knife off my SOG tool and replace it with the scissors, which work OK but not as well as the LM scissors.

LM Wave > SOG in terms of the easy opening of the tools on the outside, the excellent diamond file and the great scissors.

The LM Core is another excellent tool, particularly if you use screwdrivers a lot. I just wish it had an XL pair of scissors instead of the extra blade, then it would be damn near perfect.

The SOG pliers are awesome. They have a big plier head and you can put a lot of leverage. The wave is awesome for it's outboard components. Whenever I carry my wave on my belt, I generally don't carry an EDC blade just because the knife blade on the Wave is so easy to access.

How do the sog pliers hold up. Ive broked my LM wave pliers and many gerbers trying to clamp down on something. Ive heard a lot of good things about the SOG and im looking at getting one after my next gerber breaks

I like both flavors, but prefer the SOG. I remove the handle covers, or whatever they are called, to give faster access to the goodies inside. Makes it a little harder on the hands, though, when using the pliers.

Well, I just couldn't stand it! After I ordered my SOG Powerlock, I did some more reading about the available multi tools, and I really liked what I saw about the Leatherman Charge TTi, so I bought one of those, too. It is a good thing, because I can keep one as my EDC, and one can stay in my emergency bag.
I opted for the Cabela's version, called the Seclusion 3D TTi.
Now I feel like my thirst for multi tools has been quenched, but I am wondering, "Do I need a 3rd multi tool?" Maybe a Leatherman Micra for my tackle box, or something for the glove box in my truck? I'm thinking one can never have too many multi tools.

My Charge TTi (Seclusion 3D) came in yesterday. What a masterful piece of work! The v cutter cuts through paracord like it's nothing. The one hand deployment of the blades is a great feature, and I like the fact that I have the option to attach a belt clip to the tool.

My SOG EOD Powerlock w/V-Cutter came in yesterday. Talk about smooth! And the V-Cutter on that thing is unreal. It cuts through paracord with barely any effort on my part, easier than the V-cutter on the Charge.
I am glad that I have both, though. I will probably alternate a week or two at the time as my EDC.

The Leatherman Wave beats the SOG PowerLock at pretty much everything in my opinion. The tool delpoyment, implements, versatility, and design of the Leatherman Wave triumphs the Powerlock. The powerlock has clumping tools, locks that don't engage Aproperly, huge spacer in between implements (not densely packed), the pen knife blade is a joke (how is a knife comany going to have the worst blades in an MT? Gerbers are just as good!), and not to mention the pliers: they are good for cutting but gripping large bolts is pretty impossible because the handles open twice as wide as a normal MT. Not to mention that the steel they use is rediculously soft and it bends rathe easy and why they're tools have a #1 Philips driver I'll never know, #2 is that much more common. SOG MTs are inferior to Leatherman IMO. It goes Leatherman, Victorinox, USA made Gerbers, then SOG:)

Well, I just couldn't stand it! After I ordered my SOG Powerlock, I did some more reading about the available multi tools, and I really liked what I saw about the Leatherman Charge TTi, so I bought one of those, too. It is a good thing, because I can keep one as my EDC, and one can stay in my emergency bag.
I opted for the Cabela's version, called the Seclusion 3D TTi.
Now I feel like my thirst for multi tools has been quenched, but I am wondering, "Do I need a 3rd multi tool?" Maybe a Leatherman Micra for my tackle box, or something for the glove box in my truck? I'm thinking one can never have too many multi tools.

LOL. Always nice to see someone as bad as me! :D
I have both the TTi and the SOG. You made two great choices. I think you will be very happy with both. Different approaches but both great tools.

I can soooo tell you "need" more.;)
How about the Vic Swisstool Spirit? VERY nice tool.
And maybe a Leatheman Juice. Lovely little compact tool. (Amazon sells a nice little fast clip leather belt pouch for it too).
And definitely a Micra...maybe two. So light and compact. One always goes in my pocket regardless of what else I'm carrying.

I can soooo tell you "need" more.;)
How about the Vic Swisstool Spirit? VERY nice tool.
And maybe a Leatheman Juice. Lovely little compact tool. (Amazon sells a nice little fast clip leather belt pouch for it too).
And definitely a Micra...maybe two. So light and compact. One always goes in my pocket regardless of what else I'm carrying.

OK, you talked me into it! I'm off to check out the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit now.

MTs are cool to collect because they so much cheaper than knives so the guilt factor is greatly reduced. :D

I would definitely recommend a Micra.

Otherwise a SwissChamp is a great thing to have, always useful.

I've never owned a Victorinox MT before, although the Spirit seems like a great option.

Congrats on the Charge. My wife bought me one of these for Xmas a couple of years back and like a total idiot I made her return it because I said it cost way too much money. :rolleyes:

My Charge TTi (Seclusion 3D) came in yesterday. What a masterful piece of work! The v cutter cuts through paracord like it's nothing. The one hand deployment of the blades is a great feature, and I like the fact that I have the option to attach a belt clip to the tool.

Hi all.
I wanted the SOG. But came home with a leatherman WAVE onlt today. Weight was the decider.
i have a old leatherman i have had for almost 20 years.
I have done every thing you should not do, to it.
The wave has a great handy knife too.
I think (hope) i have made the right choice?

I have had both. I am less impressed with the new Wave (the old model was more useable, in my opinion.) The Powerlock is much larger and heavier, but has three slot screw driver sizes as opposed to the weatherman's one. I find access to the tools a little more cumbersome with the SOG, but I will likely carry the SOG, as it is more versatile. Love the pliers of the SOG.

Back