1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Leatherneck

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Silverbullet951, May 23, 2019.

1. Silverbullet951

Silverbullet951

May 16, 2009
    This knife is kinda perplexing to me. On one hand it's like the perfect beefier version of a MK2 fighting knife. However it uses D2, a steel widely regarded (maybe unfairly) as not being one of the toughest. It just seems like this knife doesn't get any attention.

I feel like this thing would get a whole lot more attention if made in a different carbon steel like A2 or 3V, both which are regularly used by CS. A2 would be more than enough and keep the cost down. Plus the design of the knife allows for tons of personal customizations with stacked leather or other materials.

Thoughts?

2. Mike Sastre

Mike Sastre Custom Crafted Concealex Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 23, 1999
    D2 is plenty tough and I'm perfectly fine with that steel for it.

WValtakis likes this.
  3. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I agree that D2 doesn't seem like "the best choice" for a hard use knife. But it's still pretty decent in the roughness category, based on use, and the leatherneck isn't so thin that it will assplode spontaneously.

I think it offers something different from the 1095 varieties, which I like. 3V is an entirely different price category. A2 isn't exceptionally tough either, looking at data, but somehow it's "tough enough" in real use. Based on the data I've seen on toughness, I'm actually surprised at how low so many are based on anecdotes, but then seeing how amazingly tough 3V, 5160, AEB-L, and 52100 are in comparison. This leads me to to think that the tough steels can take a hell of a beating and the rest are "tough enough" for nearly any application if the knife is designed and used like a knife, even in rough uses. AKA, don't baton your 3mm thick endura, just because you can. Throwing knives is probably the exception where huge toughness numbers make a difference because the forces they experience are more random and less directed through the areas where knives are designed to be tough.

4. fielder

fielder

Jan 25, 2011
    I'd love one in 3v or Aeb-l. Not really interested in D2

5. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    D2 is not a tough steel for making tough knives.