Leeson Motor Question

So, as my first post in this forum about grinder should have warned you I am very noobish about building or buying my first grinder... I have been looking for several months for a proper cheap used electric motor to use on a grinder in local facebook ads and craigslist. I haven't had much luck until today...(maybe). I was wondering if some of the more knowledgeable folks here on bladeforums could chime in on the motor I'll describe below.

My first thought is that it doesn't have a face mount but bottom mounts for table/stand mounting. I've seen many grinders use both types but I thought I'd really want a face mount but at this price I'm willing to hear people's opinion on the matter.

The gentleman has several Leeson 3 phase 3 HP motors for $75 a piece... they look like they have had an easy life (not that that means anything).
Here is an email I received from the seller when I asked what kind of shape the motors were in...
"
Hi Bill. They are all the same. They were take off load bank fan motors. They were taken off as they needed them to run at 400v. At first the OEM did not approve this. OEM later did but not before over 100 of these were switched out.
They have hardly been used but have now sat for a couple years in storage.
Larry "

More stats from Craigslist:
Leeson 182T frame 3HP 3 phase
- 1" 1/16" Shaft,
- 208-460V
- 3 HP
- 3 Phase
- 1760 RPM
- 60Hz.
PYm3wJw.jpg

XRV6esD.jpg

n0Ej7XS.jpg

Thanks in advance on any thoughts if these could make a decent grinder motor!

Last edited:
Its got all the stats for a great grinder motor. 3 phase, tefc, 220v, 1750 Rpm. And 3 hp! Thats probably a $300+ motor.
Mine is all that, but 1.5hp and 56C face mount.
If it can be mounted how you like, it'll certainly work for a grinder.
Do you plan to go variable speed?

Its got all the stats for a great grinder motor. 3 phase, tefc, 220v, 1750 Rpm. And 3 hp! Thats probably a $300+ motor.
Mine is all that, but 1.5hp and 56C face mount.
If it can be mounted how you like, it'll certainly work for a grinder.
Do you plan to go variable speed?

Yes, ideally I would like to find a good VFD... I was thinking about building two grinders eventually. I would like to have a dedicated vertical and horizontal grinder for my shop.

My 1.5hp 1750 rpm 3 phase TEFC 56C motor was 100 bucks new. It has ran great and continues to do so. I even run it at 2x speed. The brand is Iron Horse. Certainly a "cheap" brand, but decided to go that route and get a top o the line vfd.
Price out a new Iron Horse just to see, incase shipping makes this current deal not as good looking.

My 1.5hp 1750 rpm 3 phase TEFC 56C motor was 100 bucks new. It has ran great and continues to do so. I even run it at 2x speed. The brand is Iron Horse. Certainly a "cheap" brand, but decided to go that route and get a top o the line vfd.
Price out a new Iron Horse just to see, incase shipping makes this current deal not as good looking.

These motors are local to me so I'm not worried about the price but I thought I'd ask in case someone found this to be a good deal... maybe I could help someone on the forums out. :)

Thats nice motor for the money. 3hp can turn alot of belt, you wont be bogging it down! Be sure your drivewheel will fit its shaft.

I purchased a Motor and VFD package for my 2X72 from Dealerselectric.com. I paid $206 for both shipped to my door and have had great success with them and no issues. Dealerselectric is awesome to work with also and gave me a discount for asking. The motor was a TEFC 208V, 3phase, 1hp, 1750RPM which is plenty power and I have yet to bog it down with all the work I do on the grinder. The VFD that came with it is preset to run the motor but was not an enclosed housing so I sealed up the vents with breathable cloth. Runs standard 120v wall outlet 60hz.

I was looking into the used motor deal and found this would be a better risk than to try than a used craigslist motor.

I agree with Lieblad, make sure you can find a drive will that will work. Most shafts are 5/8", next most common are 7/8". 1 1/6" seems really big. But it should work if you can find a drive wheel that'll fit it.

I agree with Lieblad, make sure you can find a drive will that will work. Most shafts are 5/8", next most common are 7/8". 1 1/6" seems really big. But it should work if you can find a drive wheel that'll fit it.

I never thought that finding a drive wheel would be an issue... it does seem to be an odd size and I've struck out so far. Any push in the right direction as where to look would be appreciated. My google-fu has forsaken me.

EDIT: I had the seller check the diameter of the drive shaft and he sent me a picture of this...
tYV8BR9.jpg

Am I right to think that this drive shaft is more likely a 1 1/4" which seems to be a much more common size?

Last edited:
It nameplate shows a 6206 bearing whats ID.30mm,
Going on a limb, I would say its shaft is not 1.25”...

With Leeson nameplate shown, you can look at anything to do with that motor at Leesons website.

Back