Legal Issue

Since I just took the multi-state bar examination, I can answer this question from a general (nationwide) perspective. I'm happy to do so, since I have so little to add to many of the other topics, but am thankful for all that I'm learning.

a person may use deadly force in self-defense if 1. he is without fault (not the original aggressor), 2. he is confronted with "unlawful force," and 3. he is threatened with imminent death or great bodily harm. There is no right to deadly force if assailant has no present ability to carry out threat. Generally, there is no duty to retreat except in a minority of jurisdictions if the victim can do so safely. However, there is (from my understanding) never a duty to retreat if the attack occurs in the victim's home, occurs while victim is making a lawful arrest, or assailant is in process of robbing. Deadly force in a dwelling may be used only to protect the inhabitants therein-NOT property (no spring guns). There is an "excessive beating rule" that holds that when an attack is repulsed, the defender's privilege ends.

The intent of the assailant as he is closing in on the victim doesn't matter. All that matters is that the victim had a reasonable belief that imminent danger exists. Whether "reasonable belief" is an objective or subjective standard, I cannot recollect. My hunch is that it's objective. If the victim doesn't meet that standard, I would imagine it would result in what is called an "imperfect self-defense" resulting in manslaughter instead of murder.

As to the second scenario, Force can be used to regain possession of propery wrongfully taken if it is in immediate pursuit. Deadly force may be used only to terminate or prevent a dangerous felony involving risk to human life.

In both of the above situations, the victim/defendant would need to raise the issue of self-defense as an affirmative defense by introducing "some" evidence (sometime a preponderance standard exists). Once done, the burden is on the state/feds to show the use of force was unjustified.

I am sorry for the lengthy reply. I am sure that your eyes have glazed over by now. These are the general (most prevalent) standards, from state to state it varies. I'll try not to be such a bore in future responses. :p

Jamatos, thanks for the legal help. Nah, your post wasn't that long, we are used to reading what Greg has to say (and we love it don't get me wrong, lol:D . Hope to see you around the forums in the future.

Very good post, jsmatos. I hope to see more of your contributions in the future - after all, knowledge is power. Thanks for sharing.

jsmatos- great post. However, you have to be real careful with generalities and the law of self defense since each state varies and has their own nuances. For example in Maryland you generally have a duty to reteat before you use deadly force, but no duty to retreat before you use non-deadly force. However, there are exceptions to this rule: no duty to retreat in your home, no duty to retreat if you are being robbed. Its real confusing and my point is not to get bogged down in the details but to illustrate that as part of your training everone should learn the basics of the law in the jurisdiction in which they spend their time.

The best general piece of advice I can give is to be ready to say: " Sorry Officer, but I've just been in a life threatening situation where I thought I was going to die. I'll be happy to give you a full statement after I've had a chance to speak to my lawyer."

JaMatos -

Thank you for the excellent, concise, objective treatment given the legal considerations for self-defense involving deadly force.

One cannot play in the game unless one knows and understands its rules.

Quality self defense means making quality decisions based upon solid research, good judgement, and right action(s).

Please continue to visit the Forum. Your post(s) are appreciated.:D

Eric Schaffer,

Hey, thanks for the input on the laws in Maryland. Honestly, it's refreshing to see someone who takes the time to know the law.

For the record, my earlier post stated in opening and closing that I was answering from a general (nationwide) perspective. Furthermore, the body of my post reflects that there are differing "retreat" obligations depending upon the jurisdiction. In my closing, I stated that the laws vary from state to state.

As to your advice, it seems to presume that deadly force was used in the scenario. My post did not go that far. Mine merely sought to inform "generally" when self-defense is a viable option from a legal standpoint. My goal was to arm people with at least a general understanding of their rights. As to my advice, I won't give any-too much potential liability. At least I could give some insight though.

There are two real viable threats in this world. One stems from much of what is discussed on this board, ie, self-defense. That's what attracted me here-maybe I can learn something. The other is more insidious, it occurs when people are uninformed. I saw it happen to loved ones in my family in the past, and that is why I armed myself with knowledge. My hope is that everyone seeks to do the same on both fronts.

Originally posted by Clint Simpson
The lession learned from this thread is IF you give a verbal warning, you yell STOP! and if you have time to give a second warning you yell STOP again. In a life-and-death sitch you give orders not make requests.

And then when he is almost but not quite within arms reach - pull the trigger.

If you wait 'til he's 'almost but not quite within arms reach' to pull the trigger his momentum will carry him into you. And if he does have another weapon your dead dooky, even if he's dead too. Even a lethal wound takes a minute or two to kill an adrenalized bad guy unless you hit the brain or spinal column.

If there is enough danger to you for you to determine that a firearm is necessary to protect your life, why are you talking, ordering, yelling, etc?

Back