Legality of shipping a knife to NYC

I am checking on the legality of shipping a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21 to someone in NYC ... Any advice will be appreciated

Maybe. But be aware that only teeth and fingernails are actually legal to use in NYC. And maybe not even then. Ask Michael Bloomberg.

The legalities of carry are the responsibility of the knife owner. It is certainly legal to ship a small 21 to NYC.
Not sure why you're trying to complicate things - CRK has dealers in the City.

Well until KnifeRights got the gravity knife law changed, it would have been ILLEGAL to ship it there and then possess by the new owner. Now it is legal as gravity knives are no longer illegal in NYS. In NYC the blade must be under 4" so make sure it is.

hhmoore NYC went after sellers who shipped to NYC with big fines and threat of jail until the recent change in law, your statement is wrong.

Well until KnifeRights got the gravity knife law changed, it would have been ILLEGAL to ship it there and then possess by the new owner. Now it is legal as gravity knives are no longer illegal in NYS. In NYC the blade must be under 4" so make sure it is.

hhmoore NYC went after sellers who shipped to NYC with big fines and threat of jail until the recent change in law, your statement is wrong.

Ah! That's nonsense. I don't think so! Actually, I know you are.wrong having lived there all my life. Had knives shipped here from all over! Just use another shipper besides USPS! YOU WON'T HAVE A. ISSUE!!

Ah! That's nonsense. I don't think so! Actually, I know you are.wrong having lived there all my life. Had knives shipped here from all over! Just use another shipper besides USPS! YOU WON'T HAVE A. ISSUE!!
jfk1110 so since you had knives sent to you I must be incorrect as to the law? Look up NYS PL 265 the weapons law of NYS. There have been many post here on this. A few of the dealers on this site were made to come to NYC from across the country due to the DAs threat of arrest. Many dealers stopped shipping to NY. That has been eased now due to the change. But I guess your an expert. I spent years enforcing the law in NYC so I assume I just don't know....

Wrist flick does.not equal gravity knife, even with all the bogus arrests you may have made on unfortunate souls. Also, I couldn't wrist flick my CRK sebenza.anyway. Doubt anyone.could, unless you keep the.pivot so loose it won't function properly! Cyrus the virus, even chased utility knife. companies. He was and is no better than an ambulance chaser! However, since there is a totally concealed clause, pocket clips have caused much grief for people.
Also in NYS,.autos are.legal while hunting and fishing as well!
Also the "law" you are referring to has nothing g to do with shipping. It's the b.s. gravity/wrist flick clause. Did you use the thumbstud while flicking?? That's a no no!
James

Last edited:
I learned long ago not to argue with those who have no idea of the real facts. Believe what you like. I never arrested knife carries but you seem to be the type to need to assume that.

Here is the link to the law about shipping them:

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm#p265.10
It was not updated to remove the change in gravity knives. I have posted hundreds of times here and helped Doug from KnifeRights over the years, but you clearly are the expert.

"Any person who transports or
ships as merchandise any firearm, other than an assault weapon,
switchblade knife, gravity knife, pilum ballistic knife, billy,
blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles, metal knuckles, Kung Fu star,
chuka stick, sandbag or slungshot is guilty of a class A misdemeanor."

Back