Legitimate issue with my maglite?

So I am asking in all seriousness and legitimacy. I have a 6 d cell maglite flashlight and I just replaced the batteries. 6 Duracell d batteries I turn the light on and within 10 seconds or so the light dims and stays dim. I did replace the bulb with an led from niteize. Is my maglite having issues? Why does it dim after something like 10 seconds?

Also what is the life expectancy of a maglite that is just sitting in a corner? The reason I replaced the batteries is because after a few months of sitting in a corner the light was going dim. Could this also be related to problems I am having? Or am I just being a hypochondriac?
Thanks

Something not right especially if the batteries are fresh and it's LED versus the old style bulbs. Should last a long time before you notice any dimming. So, maybe there is something wrong with whatever controls the electric flow to the bulb?

Maybe you have corroded electrical contacts? Have the batteries ever leaked in that flashlight? I just tossed two mag lites because of leakage. Thought I fixed one and then it just didn't work any more with new batteries...

The batteries do reduce in power with age or storage... But the D size batteries are pretty efficient overall as compared to AA and AAA.

Something not right especially if the batteries are fresh and it's LED versus the old style bulbs. Should last a long time before you notice any dimming. So, maybe there is something wrong with whatever controls the electric flow to the bulb?

Maybe you have corroded electrical contacts? Have the batteries ever leaked in that flashlight? I just tossed two mag lites because of leakage. Thought I fixed one and then it just didn't work any more with new batteries...

The batteries do reduce in power with age or storage... But the D size batteries are pretty efficient overall as compared to AA and AAA.

Gotcha well I am glad I am not being a hypochondriac. I bought this flashlight from a pawn shop and it is a lemon. When I bought it I put in batteries and then the bulb broke so I bought an LED bulb and now this lol. Since I bought it from a pawn shop I am not sure if the batteries have ever corroded. But since I have had it they have not leaked.

Bro, ditch the Mag-Lite !

You of all people need the Texas Atomic Beam flashlight. With 50,000 lux you could be melting faces at will or thumping tires with the aircraft aluminum body. On Instagram Hunter Ellis says it's DELTA FORCE and MARSOC endorsed so what more could you ask for.

It dawned on me when contributing to the thread on knife diminishing returns (in General) if we really need these battery powered spot lights. Seems to me that 200 or 300 lumens is about right. These will shine 100 yds. Of course most maglights don't reach that level, perhaps the LED versions. The big ones do make a good club. ;)

I'm of the same mindset as 357 above. Ditch it and move on.

Clean the tail cap threads. Remove the rear spring and clean it and where it seats.
Also, you can get a great light that will be brighter on just 2x AA at HD for $15.

They're completely rebuildable and with a minimum of skill most people can rebuild 95% of them, just depends on your level of commitment.

Take another flashlight and look inside. Sometimes the contact at the other end gets tarnished. You can glue sandpaper to the end of a dowel to clean it up.

They're completely rebuildable and with a minimum of skill most people can rebuild 95% of them, just depends on your level of commitment.

I am not committed to this at all. It already has been a money sink. Knowing me I only bought it so I could have a club that people would not think twice about.

Take another flashlight and look inside. Sometimes the contact at the other end gets tarnished. You can glue sandpaper to the end of a dowel to clean it up.

I legitimately only have this one flashlight. I have never had a need for flashlights can I have indoor lights and street lights outside.

Also I think that is how you get sent to an alternate dimension.

I am not committed to this at all. It already has been a money sink. Knowing me I only bought it so I could have a club that people would not think twice about.

I legitimately only have this one flashlight. I have never had a need for flashlights can I have indoor lights and street lights outside.

Also I think that is how you get sent to an alternate dimension.

No flashlights, search for scissors instead of a knife,
carry a large fixed blade in your pocket, seriously ?

do not throw this flashlight away, anyone would be happy to have it and do some very minor work to make it function properly again because it's an American made tool that will actually last and can be repaired unlike so much today.

Use a mirror outside in bright daylight to get some light down there so you can see if the contact In there is corroded or tarnished if so it can be cleaned off.

Seriously don't be lazy, take a minute to find out what the problem is and another couple minutes to fix it.

No flashlights, search for scissors instead of a knife,
carry a large fixed blade in your pocket, seriously ?

do not throw this flashlight away, anyone would be happy to have it and do some very minor work to make it function properly again because it's an American made tool that will actually last and can be repaired unlike so much today.

Use a mirror outside in bright daylight to get some light down there so you can see if the contact In there is corroded or tarnished if so it can be cleaned off.

Seriously don't be lazy, take a minute to find out what the problem is and another couple minutes to fix it.

I took it to a pawn shop and got money for it.

Back