1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 12 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, March 23; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lemme Phreak - D Guard Bowie build

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by lessismore, Dec 23, 2018.

1. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    lessismore and Rupestris like this.
  2. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Round two on our deer hide lining. Everything is about sequence. Note to self, certain stitching has to be done before the lining is glued!

@SpyderPhreak I need engineering assistance and I know you are skilled here. Is it best to max out the weight on these? We're at 2.1 oz.
    20190310_153010-01.jpeg

mitch4ging likes this.
  3. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    :cool::thumbsup: It's derby time!

dc50 likes this.
  4. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Deerskin lining is in on both sides. Welt and wedges next.
    20190310_185707-01.jpeg

protourist, mitch4ging and Rupestris like this.
  5. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Hopefully I'm not too late in answering. :oops: In our testing, yes, the heaviest you can make them, the better. We usually drill out hollows in the bottom of the car and put various sizes of lead fishing weights into the cavity, then back fill it with epoxy. Start out too heavy, then you can slowly and carefully use a small drill to remove weight by drilling a small hole through the epoxy.

However, and probably more important, you need to reduce the friction on the wheels as much as possible (else the weight doesn't matter as much). We usually chuck the axles into a dremel and polish them until they shine, usually finishing them with Flitz. Hopefully you get to use the brass shims that fit between the body and the wheels. If so, we polish the side facing the wheel, but not the body. This seems to keep the wheel spinning against the polished surface and prevents the brass part from rotating since there's so much more friction between it and the body. Finally, if lubrication is allowed, we use a tiny bit of some very light PTFE oil (RemOil) and powdered graphite inside the wheels. We've gotten 1st - 3rd with every one we've built (I think about 8 between the 3 kiddos so far).

That's looking pretty dern noice!!! :cool: :thumbsup:

6. protourist

protourist Laissez les bons temps rouler! Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I just saw this on the interwebs. Thought it was interesting.
    [​IMG]

Pinemoon likes this.
  7. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    Now for a frog
    20190314_141137-01.jpeg 20190314_141321-01.jpeg

8. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    WOW!!!:eek::thumbsup:
    As Fred would say,
    "Yaba-daba-doooo"!!

protourist likes this.
  9. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    ^^^Yeah, this! Hoooeeee! :cool: :thumbsup:

protourist and mitch4ging like this.
  10. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    20190314_233348-02.jpeg

Dopic1, KingMC, Melvin-Purvis and 3 others like this.
  11. protourist

protourist Laissez les bons temps rouler! Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    lessismore, mitch4ging and Rupestris like this.
  12. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    You did a very nice job on that sheath.

lessismore likes this.
  13. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Be still my heart... ❤️ :eek: :cool: :thumbsup:

lessismore likes this.
  14. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    If I can get this Frog jumpin we'll be in good shape. Doing some mockups with some butcher paper now.

15. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

ETA - BTW, what's the background in the past few pics? A big piece of paper stone? Nicely-finished concrete?

16. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    A very high end, top of the line, imported, 18" block of.....

Vinyl flooring, on sale at Home Depot for $1.99 sitting in the shop windowsill:D
    20190315_120413-01.jpeg
    20190315_120549-01.jpeg

Rupestris and protourist like this.
  17. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Ahhhh... lol...

18. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    Which is also what I cover my workbench with as shown here...
    20190103_005141-01.jpeg
    It's pretty resistant to most things...except acetone!:oops:

19. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    I knew you used some vinyl tiles, but that looked a bt different.

20. lessismore

Aug 29, 2010
    Conversation between me and my 5 yr old girl:

Me: What kind of Derby car should we make?
    Her: A pink one with flowers and a snake...
    20190316_192809-01.jpeg