Lemme Phreak - D Guard Bowie build

ucB5Jc4.gif

Round two on our deer hide lining. Everything is about sequence. Note to self, certain stitching has to be done before the lining is glued!

SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak I need engineering assistance and I know you are skilled here. Is it best to max out the weight on these? We're at 2.1 oz.
20190310_153010-01.jpeg

Round two on our deer hide lining. Everything is about sequence. Note to self, certain stitching has to be done before the lining is glued!

SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak I need engineering assistance and I know you are skilled here. Is it best to max out the weight on these? We're at 2.1 oz.
View attachment 1089005

Hopefully I'm not too late in answering. :oops: In our testing, yes, the heaviest you can make them, the better. We usually drill out hollows in the bottom of the car and put various sizes of lead fishing weights into the cavity, then back fill it with epoxy. Start out too heavy, then you can slowly and carefully use a small drill to remove weight by drilling a small hole through the epoxy.

However, and probably more important, you need to reduce the friction on the wheels as much as possible (else the weight doesn't matter as much). We usually chuck the axles into a dremel and polish them until they shine, usually finishing them with Flitz. Hopefully you get to use the brass shims that fit between the body and the wheels. If so, we polish the side facing the wheel, but not the body. This seems to keep the wheel spinning against the polished surface and prevents the brass part from rotating since there's so much more friction between it and the body. Finally, if lubrication is allowed, we use a tiny bit of some very light PTFE oil (RemOil) and powdered graphite inside the wheels. We've gotten 1st - 3rd with every one we've built (I think about 8 between the 3 kiddos so far).

Deerskin lining is in on both sides. Welt and wedges next.
View attachment 1089135

That's looking pretty dern noice!!! :cool: :thumbsup:

I just saw this on the interwebs. Thought it was interesting.
54202369_10218800167617566_580201466954776576_o.jpg

If I can get this Frog jumpin we'll be in good shape. Doing some mockups with some butcher paper now.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

ETA - BTW, what's the background in the past few pics? A big piece of paper stone? Nicely-finished concrete?

Which is also what I cover my workbench with as shown here...
20190103_005141-01.jpeg
It's pretty resistant to most things...except acetone!:oops:

I knew you used some vinyl tiles, but that looked a bt different.

Back