Length

cbach8tw

Platinum Member
Can someone please help me when i read the descriptions of kukris, is the length displayed the length of just the blade and not including the handle length? I appreciate it, i am looking for a village model 7 to 8 inch blade that does not weigh too much.

Thanks for your help and sorry if I dont understand.

This was, and to some extent, still is, one of the tricky things about picking out a first HI knife.

The length given is the total length and about 1 oz per inch is right close to "not too heavy" for me.

As an example, I have 2 Tamangs, and the difference of just a couple of ounces on an otherwise same length knife makes a noticeable difference to me at least.

I hope this helps you a little! :)

Can someone please help me when i read the descriptions of kukris, is the length displayed the length of just the blade and not including the handle length? I appreciate it, i am looking for a village model 7 to 8 inch blade that does not weigh too much.

Thanks for your help and sorry if I dont understand.
Overall length is what’s given. Blade length is a bit of a guess if you’re just looking at the postings here. You might want to send an email describing what you’re looking for. I bet Yangdu would have some great recommendations.

Overall length is what’s given. Blade length is a bit of a guess if you’re just looking at the postings here. You might want to send an email describing what you’re looking for. I bet Yangdu would have some great recommendations.
Thanks, that helps.

It's usually possible to estimate the blade length based on total length and the pictures.

For example, if a knife is posted as 15 inches (which would be total length), and if the picture shows the handle about 1/3 of the total, then you have a blade length of 10 inches.

I'm usually more interested in the handle length, because if it fits my hand, an inch or two one way or the other in blade length is less important.

It's like putting on a pair of boots. If it fits your feet well, does it really matter whether the bottom sticks out a little more or less front and back?

The length listed is the overall length in a straight line.
The image on here should clarify:
Note that adding up the blade and handle length is expected to be more than the listed overall length because of the curve/angle.
Thanks for that. I was looking for that drawing last night, to respond to this thread, but couldn't find it.

Back