Let’s pretend you are:

SDFK lives in my truck I might need to sharpen soon from my own stupid activities

UF2 is my favorite knive I have ever held

Gretchen is the knife I will be buried with

I carry and use a DEK1 everyday

I hopefully am early enough for the K20 pre order which I would willfully flex and swing in front of a bear or zombies (even a zombie bear) knowing I suck and either it would eat me or i would hurt myself with the K20 (but f it I'm okay with potentially swinging that bad b around even though I'll get bit)

And I don't even have a shiv 2 yet

...... why would you ask this tortuous question lol

For a folder I would have my CRK magnacut sebenza 31 insingo no doubt

...... why would you ask this tortuous question lol
Good response and a very valid question. Makes you have brain freeze.
I ask because I think it’s helpful for people who have never seen a CPK in person (including me) to get some input from experienced owners who likely have multiple models and can assign size to task as well as ergonomics and just what really spins their crank. Picture’s don’t do it. Knowing what seasoned owners think the models in similar size range excel at in comparison to others is a good thing. These things are crazy hard to come by so being armed with more knowledge can save us time and frustration as well as promote “a more harmonious outcome” Monty Walsh. Thankfully there are many great people here with a wealth of knowledge and assistance that they happily give.

Now as for me, I am in the (admittedly somewhat painful) process of heading where I want to be as opposed to where I am, slimming my fixed blades down to the point that I have very few high quality blades, both left from my current stuff and acquired through the process, that cover my needs both perceived and real that have the design elements I have evolved into desiring after a few decades of this. I no longer want a bunch sitting in the storage drawers. If I don’t have the “use” for it that I mentioned, it’s going to a new home.
Could be that I just like to talk 🤷‍♂️

Was the original question about opinions on knives bigger than 4.5 inches?
Isn’t there some logic that if a guy is not going to chop much, he could get by with a less expensive knife?
There are many, many out there. How about an Ontario sp10 for $70. How about Esee or Becker.
Or you could go to eBay right now and buy a CPK medium chopper for $1000.
The choice is yours.
I think the Dek1 is perfect for almost everything. I wish I had a smaller version, about 3.5 inch blade.
I have a FK2 that I would trade right now for a CPK edc.

If I can only have one knife, my SSDFK is the one I'd pick. I prefer larger blades.

A large knife can do the job of a small knife, but the opposite isn't true. Let's use some common sense here though. I'm not talking about packing around a claymore.

If we're looking at pure function and excluding concealability, the SDFK and BFK could replace every other knife on this list, easily. The SDFK is hard to find, so you could go with a BFK and be perfectly happy.

If I can only have two knives, it would probably be the SSDFK and Reaper. It can be hard to get a Reaper though, a DEK1 would be great too.

In my opinion, I see the knives I have owned in this way:

SSDFK - well balanced knife suited for most tasks. I haven't found a job it doesn't do well, other than concealed carry.

SDFK - same as above, just slightly less refined and marginally less efficient at slicing. Doesn't feel as nimble as the SSDFK.

DEK1 - great general use knife. It can do most tasks well that are suited to a 4.5 inch blade. Decently concealable. In my opinion, this knife makes the DEK2 and DEK3 unnecessary from a purely functional perspective. It does everything they do, well enough that you wouldn't be left wanting.

DEK2 - Built like a tank. Thick and tough. It can take any abuse you dish out and not flinch. It has a lot of utility. Concealable.

DEK3 - it's a slicer. Very thin. It loses some durability due to this. Concealable.

FK2 - not as Concealable as any of the DEKs. It's a great outdoors knife. Very tough, very efficient. Not as good at slicing as the DEK1.

BFK - not very Concealable. Great multi-duty knife. If I didn't have the SSDFK, this would be my pick.

Scrim Reaper - most Concealable of all the knives on this list. Tough, durable, and cuts very well. The best handle I've ever felt on a knife. Short blade. Love this knife. My favorite small fixed blade. Great as an EDC.

Isn’t there some logic that if a guy is not going to chop much, he could get by with a less expensive knife?
There are many, many out there. How about an Ontario sp10 for $70. How about Esee or Becker.
The choice is yours.
I think the Dek1 is perfect for almost everything. I wish I had a smaller version, about 3.5 inch blade.
Yes, bigger tan 4 1/2” when you felt like that wasn’t enough but it evolved cause I like to hear myself rattle I suppose.
My answer and just my personal opinion to the second question is : Having been on Bladeforums for many years and having bought and sold dozens of knives, Absolutely no logic goes into buying a blade that wins awards for and is built to rise to the top of competitive blade sports if you would never dream of using one to that level but it’s nice to have some of the best items in life if you have the cash and the desire regardless of logic.
Edit:
I have enough high quality variously sized fixed blades to take care of any and everything. Frankly I am looking to go down to a very few top quality blades that trip my trigger, replace the bunch I have with a limited few therefore reducing my clutter and get out of the obsession, off my ass and out from in front of a tv or monitors. Carothers designs (in theory) scratch that itch right now but not being able to touch one and having to buy off the internet or wait till blade show (lack of patience) presents its own challenges. Many less expensive knives would suffice for my realistic use and hold up just fine but they wouldn’t please me.
These descriptions and opinions by the experienced members helps all new and prospective buyers have some firsthand knowledge prior to narrowing their search in which they are likely to invest many hours in before scoring.

Last edited:
If I can only have one knife, my SSDFK is the one I'd pick. I prefer larger blades.

A large knife can do the job of a small knife, but the opposite isn't true. Let's use some common sense here though. I'm not talking about packing around a claymore.

If we're looking at pure function and excluding concealability, the SDFK and BFK could replace every other knife on this list, easily. The SDFK is hard to find, so you could go with a BFK and be perfectly happy.

If I can only have two knives, it would probably be the SSDFK and Reaper. It can be hard to get a Reaper though, a DEK1 would be great too.

In my opinion, I see the knives I have owned in this way:

SSDFK - well balanced knife suited for most tasks. I haven't found a job it doesn't do well, other than concealed carry.

SDFK - same as above, just slightly less refined and marginally less efficient at slicing. Doesn't feel as nimble as the SSDFK.

DEK1 - great general use knife. It can do most tasks well that are suited to a 4.5 inch blade. Decently concealable. In my opinion, this knife makes the DEK2 and DEK3 unnecessary from a purely functional perspective. It does everything they do, well enough that you wouldn't be left wanting.

DEK2 - Built like a tank. Thick and tough. It can take any abuse you dish out and not flinch. It has a lot of utility. Concealable.

DEK3 - it's a slicer. Very thin. It loses some durability due to this. Concealable.

FK2 - not as Concealable as any of the DEKs. It's a great outdoors knife. Very tough, very efficient. Not as good at slicing as the DEK1.

BFK - not very Concealable. Great multi-duty knife. If I didn't have the SSDFK, this would be my pick.

Scrim Reaper - most Concealable of all the knives on this list. Tough, durable, and cuts very well. The best handle I've ever felt on a knife. Short blade. Love this knife. My favorite small fixed blade. Great as an EDC.
Great response. Useful user experience info about many models.
Thank you

Carothers designs (in theory) scratch that itch right now but not being able to touch one and having to buy off the internet or wait till blade show (lack of patience) presents its own challenges.

I can understand that it can feel risky to spend money on a knife you haven't handled, but rest assured that if for some reason you decide it doesn't work for you, you will have no problem selling it for what you paid for it. Which isn't necessarily true with most less expensive knives if you try to sell them used.

I can understand that it can feel risky to spend money on a knife you haven't handled, but rest assured that if for some reason you decide it doesn't work for you, you will have no problem selling it for what you paid for it. Which isn't necessarily true with most less expensive knives if you try to sell them used.
True but if through research and real life experience of others you can narrow your choices, it’s a better way.
Waisting time searching for and attempting to obtain a less than optimal choice is unpleasant & not necessary. Selling and shipping knives is a pain.
Now some get a thrill from this quest but as BB King would say, the thrill is gone.

Last edited:
The choice is yours.

The OP also said, knowing what you know now... it takes time in any hobby/passion to build up to the value perspective. Unless someone has a lot of money where $1k isn't much, or they set out to buy one or two "perfect" knives and then be done forever (hard to do but I know a few people), the options you suggest are perfectly reasonable and excellent knives, there are a lot more excellent examples out there too.

In any luxury/hobby/passion pursuit the cost to benefit margin grows rapidly as you go up in price.

Example, is a $3000 Les Baer $2000 BETTER than a Springfield Range Officer? No, but in this comparison a 66% price increase is what it takes to make a 1911 pistol 5-10% better.

Enthusiasts and aficionados are typically the ones who will pay a 75-90%+ price premium for the benefits of 3 - 5 - 10%.. depends on what you are talking about.

Let’s say you feel the 3” isn’t enough knife so you go to the FK. What is the next step above that if necessary or is it indeed a knife (and not another tool) if a 4 1/2” or so blade is not enough.

As I always have a folder with 3.5-4” blade, 4.5” is my minimum acceptable fixed blade length.

Think of your kitchen knives … they are between 4 and 9” (?). Can’t even cut a loaf of bread properly with a 4.5” blade.

If I had to cut down, it would be a larger folder, the UF and the Behemoth - that one doesn’t get enough credit for how agile it is. All bases covered with these 3.

Back