Let Me Axe You What's For Dinner...

Continuing with the theme of "tactical" blades being multi-purpose, I was wondering, "How would my ZT axe do with making dinner tonight?
Let's find out! :)

Can it cut onions?

sSv9Wly.jpg

gdsDRXK.jpg

CwDLoW1.jpg

h65YjYh.jpg

QBfDsVL.jpg

EkjXXis.jpg

Looks like it. :thumbup:

Mushrooms? Check.

7sW5JVp.jpg

How about green onions?

ZJJaEZN.jpg

Yep. :)

Spinach?

nJ9lpU4.jpg

It can do that too.

Here is the food simmering prior to me adding the rice:

mQtKjPa.jpg

Is it an ideal kitchen tool?
Oh hell no!
Far less easy to use than a decent fixed blade or folder.

It does do the trick though, and would certainly be up to camping food prep if need be.

That does it for tonight's kitchen adventure. :D

Ok. Now, I want to prep food with my Condor Parang.

You should! :D

For one thing, it's just plain fun.
For another thing, I've found that using some of my woods tools for tasks like this that they aren't intended for has made me better at using them for their intended purpose. :thumbup:

I will, next time girlfriend is home and take the pics. I'm not 3 handed like you are =)

:D
It was tricky, reaching across the kitchen to wash and dry my one hand, grab the camera off the fridge, then take a picture (small apartment-size kitchen did help a bit though).
Having a second person there makes it easier, and you can get better shots too. :)

Challenge accepted!

Excellent. :)

Perhaps some other folks will accept the challenge too.
Be neat to see what cutting tools end up being used, and what types of meals result.

I'm pleased with how my meal turned out, as my wife got home from work just as it was getting finished. She was happy to have supper waiting, and both of us enjoyed the taste.

Getting low on beef though; have to head to the local butcher shop I like to get some more.
They grind it right there in front of you; first time I went, I saw the cuts of beef they were putting into the grinder and thought "That piece of beef looks like I want to roast it over a fire and eat it right now!"
Sure is a change from grocery store ground beef. I don't have to drain any fat off after cooking, and it smells like beef while it's cooking. :thumbup:

Bought some grocery store ground beef a few times when the place was closed or for convenience sake, and it was nowhere near the same.

Guess I need to split some racks of ribs with my woodsplitter😂. Cool idea man, have you used that zt hatchet much? If so how do you like it?

Guess I need to split some racks of ribs with my woodsplitter��. Cool idea man, have you used that zt hatchet much? If so how do you like it?

I have used it a fair bit; got a few threads of use, and some pics I never bothered putting up too.
I find it works pretty well.
For things that you'd normally use a hatchet or large chopping knife for, it works great.
The spike on the back is good for splitting smaller wood the way some folks do with the tip of a bushcraft knife.

Found it to be fairly comfortable in the hand for some pretty extended periods of use.

The only it doesn't work as is a machete though; you can clear thicker branches out of your way when clearing a trail, but green whippy vegetation isn't affected so much.

I haven't had to do much sharpening to it yet; I did sharpen it once at the same angle the factory edge came at.
It will be interesting to see how it performs in future years with more sharpenings; eventually I will put a convex edge on it.
I wanted to see how it worked with the factory edge angle first though, and it has been doing quite well. :thumbup:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1397977-ZT-Camp-(with-surprise-dog-appearance)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1367119-I-have-Zero-Tolerance-for-hiking

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1362849-Winter-Camping-Contest/page4

Thanks man, off to read the threads you linked now. I generally take my gb sfa camping, but am looking at smaller alternatives. The zt is a tad bit tactical looking for camping, but if it does the job why not hunt one down LOL. either way kickass thread man I was quite amused 👍

Thanks man, off to read the threads you linked now. I generally take my gb sfa camping, but am looking at smaller alternatives. The zt is a tad bit tactical looking for camping, but if it does the job why not hunt one down LOL. either way kickass thread man I was quite amused ��

Nice. :)

When not splitting onions, it can split wood.
This pic was taken with a low-power chop, as full-power ones were splitting the wood entirely, making for a boring picture:

OUAA1wh.jpg

Stab , now you're putting ideas in my head. And I won't be able to get them out.

My gf is coming over tonight so I think when she walks in I'll be cutting up some limes for out cocktails ...using my TOPS SXB.

Long ago I watched an outdoor show on TV where a guy was doing this very thing with a FireStone Belt Axe. I just kind of shook my head.

Not long after, I acquired a ATC Vietnam Tactical tomahawk. Couldn't help myself, I just had to cut up some taters, onions and bacon for the cast iron skillet.

Figured it would perform kinda like one of those ulu knives from Alaska. But I was incorrect. Still, I had to try it.

Yours seems to be a better performer than the one I had, Stabman... likely because of the thinner stock and edge profile. Better steel maybe as well?

I gave mine away to a fellow forum member as a wedding present years ago. I bet his wife was unimpressed, but I hope she at least tried kitchen chores with it like we did.

I like the cut of your jib for giving it a go, moreso for sharing it in photos.

Cool pics, but I don't think I could betray my proper kitchen knives that way. I wince hard enough when I have to use the cutlery at someone else's home.

The fact that the cutting board isn't split into kindling makes me believe you weren't putting any effort into your swings.

Nice pics. Looks like it worked better than my Esee 5 :D

I'd like to see how the ESEE 5 works though. :)

Stab , now you're putting ideas in my head. And I won't be able to get them out.

My gf is coming over tonight so I think when she walks in I'll be cutting up some limes for out cocktails ...using my TOPS SXB.

Yes! :thumbup:

Long ago I watched an outdoor show on TV where a guy was doing this very thing with a FireStone Belt Axe. I just kind of shook my head.

Not long after, I acquired a ATC Vietnam Tactical tomahawk. Couldn't help myself, I just had to cut up some taters, onions and bacon for the cast iron skillet.

Figured it would perform kinda like one of those ulu knives from Alaska. But I was incorrect. Still, I had to try it.

Yours seems to be a better performer than the one I had, Stabman... likely because of the thinner stock and edge profile. Better steel maybe as well?

I gave mine away to a fellow forum member as a wedding present years ago. I bet his wife was unimpressed, but I hope she at least tried kitchen chores with it like we did.

I like the cut of your jib for giving it a go, moreso for sharing it in photos.

The stock thickness sure helps. Thick for a knife, but not as thick as many tomahawks/axes

The fact that the cutting board isn't split into kindling makes me believe you weren't putting any effort into your swings.

Indeed. :D
I think if I had been swinging it, in addition to the cutting board being wrecked, I'd have been retrieving onions from the floor.
I don't really want to be eating floor food. ;)

Back