1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let The Sparks Fly

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by mistwalker, Feb 5, 2018.

1. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I've touched on this subject before in articles for different magazines, but I thought the cold wet days of the end of winter could be a good time to bring it back up. So I wrote a piece on Mischmetal for the Fiddleback Forge blog

http://fiddlebackforge.com/index.cfm/fiddleback-news-information/mischmetal/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xxwjtxx, sharp thoughts, TPVT and 6 others like this.
  2. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Good article Brian. I've been doing lots of winter hikes and practice building fires on all of them. Some in my Firebox stove and some on the ground. It's a lot of fun practicing skills like this in the winter.

I use ferro rods to start all of them. Mostly a nano xl. The rod in the nano seems softer than my other ferro rods. It also throws better sparks.

It will be snowing this afternoon so I'll be heading out to build a fire in the the Firebox for lunch. I'll try to get some pics.

mistwalker and Nbrackett like this.
  3. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    nice article mist. i enjoyed it

mistwalker likes this.
  4. Cohutta

Cohutta

Feb 17, 2017
    Nice article Brian. I've always wondered what made the difference between the two

mistwalker likes this.
  5. Thorns

Thorns

Nov 22, 2016
    Definitely a good article, the comparison ignition and flame pictures where awesome. Never though of being able to use the slivers as tinder.
    Been enjoying many of your articles on the sight lately.
    Thanks for writing them.

6. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Greg. I like having a liquid fuel lighter with wick along, a Zippo or similar style, as a back up rather than a butane lighter in a cold environment, high elevation, or both simultaneously. But I think in a really cold environment a ferro rod and prepared tinder, or a known abundance of organic tinder, can be a lot more reliable for starting fires than most lighters. I've told Rob a few times over the years I wish Exotac would do a competitor for the Strike Force, and easier to use with gloved hands. I think he prefers to stay on the ultralight side of the gear line in some ways, but I am liking the look of the new lighter with the screw on lid. I need to order a couple. One to try in the field and one so I can test one to see how long it holds fuel with the screw on lid to help reduce evaporation. As much as I like them Zippos go dry pretty quick even when not being used, but the lids don't seal. I want to see how much difference that makes.

Thanks man, glad liked it :)

Yeah, the iron content is how the hardness is controlled. Lol, I'd be willing to bet the ones we call "mischmetal" rods came about as a direct result of someone seeing how much money they could save by seeing how little iron they could get away with adding and still get the pyrophoric reaction.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you've enjoyed the posts. It was something I thought about the first time I used a mischmetal rod. I wasn't used to the technique required for good sparks, so initially I got a lot of slivers. Then I saw the reaction that happened when a hot spark landed in the pile of slivers. So I experimented with it more as an intentional effort.

7. NoRest

Nov 27, 2015
    I just love how easy it is to start a fire in this stove with a little bit of fat rope, one log, and a spark.
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

8. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    What's the coldest temp you've used the fat rope in Greg? I've used it in really wet environments, but no lower than around freezing temps.

What gauge steel is that stove, what thickness? I like the look and have been checking them out. I like the folding versus assembly aspect.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  9. NoRest

Nov 27, 2015
    I've used the fat rope down to below 0° F with good results. That stuff just burns! The G2 Firebox is made of 18 gauge stainless steel and about 2 lbs. It seems a bit heavy but it performs so well. It folds out fast and easy. I find myself cooking more in the field than I normally would just because I enjoy using this stove.

mistwalker, VTguy17 and Nbrackett like this.
  10. VTguy17

VTguy17 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Same here. I have the Emberlit titanium fire box and I use it just because it's so fun. @mistwalker I used a chunk of fatrope last weekend, it was -7 and it worked perfectly in the cold and snow.

mistwalker likes this.
  11. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    Cool! Thanks for the info! I have a camp stove that's not too badly made, but it requires assembly to use. I think I would probably use the folding stove more often. The price isn't bad either.

Cool, thank you for that info. The Ti Emberlit is the other stove I have considered

12. Thorns

Thorns

Nov 22, 2016
    Hey Mist, do you know much about "tough" cameras, like the small digital ones, rate for shock and submersion? I have been looking at them, and would like to get a digital that is portable yet can take a hit and a good photo, im not to good on electronics, and all i have is my flip phone normally. It only survives cause it could be run over by a tank and still work. But I have been wanting to get some good shots. I was looking through them today and had the thought i might ask you.
    I was checking out the Olympus TG - 5 and Panasonic Lumix DMC TS 6, were kind of at the top of my list. tho definitely getting to the high end of the price spectrum for me. Came acrossed the Nikon 1 AW1 but thats pretty high for me, but can get lenses and stuff, seems really good photographic quality wise. but ill be saving up for this purchase so its not immediate. The Nikon W300 dint look bad either tho, and was lower priced. I dont know really enough to pick but was hoping to learn some more and get some better at photography.
    Not trying to hijack the thread, and all, could send my email or something if its better and you dont mind helping me out.

mistwalker likes this.
  13. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    I really don't know much on this subject now. I need to replace my point and shoot, it's almost 11 years old now, so well outdated. I tend to use a Nikon DSLR which I have been used to for the last decade or so or most of my print media work. I use my phone for the less complicated shots I take that I will use on the net where smaller images files work out well. I would love to have a point and shoot that is as light and compact as my phone that can match the image quality.

Thorns likes this.
  14. Thorns

Thorns

Nov 22, 2016
    I appreciate it, figured it was worth askin. Im kinda in the same boat, wanting a point and shoot that matches that criteria, but it is not hard to find one with more than 5 mega pixels to beat out my phone. Im not sure on what specs I should be watching for past megapixles as far as picture quality tho.
    Im swaying tword the Olympus, as there are some extra lense options like a fish eye to pick up later if i wanted. I looked into the Nikon, and Panasonic, but the reviews kinda turned me away.
    that being said tho, you start putting them underwater and knocken them around in your pockets i suppose something is likely to break. Ive just gotten so accustomed to my phone being indestructable I want that in all my electronics now.

mistwalker and pertinux like this.
  15. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    I think I have just decided to upgrade my phone as my next camera...