Let there be ROCK! *UPDATE in post 19*

Tyrade83

Half man, half bear, half pig
Gold Member
I did something today that I’ve never done before.

After I was laid off last week, and spent the week choring around the house and consuming an above average amount of liquor during all hours of the day, interspersed with naps and taking my two dogs on some nice walks through the bush trails in the area, I was called back to work this week. Some back to back 15 hour days ensued, so if this is “laid off” can I go back to my normal 50-60 hour weeks?

Today was the big day for our removal of some 15 ton drainage tanks from a site due for expansion. Lots of people and some expensive cranes were there. During our prep, we’d overlooked a 1/2” thick copper grounding cable. We were in a tight area (relatively) for the work we were doing so all the tool trucks had to be parked on the far side of the site after our prep work, so the cranes could be positioned for a safe lift, but keep the road open for vehicles moving around.

When we began to lift the tanks, we saw the overlooked cable. And with over $1500/hr in cranes, operators and riggers waiting on us, not including our crew or any of the heavy haul trucks and other personnel, I did something rash that I’ve never done before. Rather than walking as fast as I could (no running on site) to go get tools to remedy the problem which I was a part of causing, I used what I had available, smashing on the spine of a Busse with a rock. The receiver of this was my EDC Elmax HACK inflicted by a rock about the size of a large Gatorade bottle to chop the cable. This Max is a .090 thick hollow ground slicer that I’d further thinned and convexed the edge on, certainly not intended for the kind of abuse INFI would shrug off.

All in all, it did really good IMO. Copper might be relatively soft, but the steel it was against isn’t, and neither are rocks. Obviously no in use pics, given the urgency and the “no mobile devices on site” rule (I work in oil and gas, and anything not rated intrinsically safe, ie; not an ignition source is not allowed without proper permitting and procedures) so I took these later when the lifts were done and I got a break.

FE2BC961-C331-4D89-B30C-F965900C26A6.jpeg 56DC89F3-044E-4360-B198-44DA22779C72.jpeg

Even though it’s not thick and not INFI, Busse Elmax fared better than I’d expected. So here’s to Busse Elmax and random rocks for saving my butt when I needed it.

ROCK ON!

OUCH!!! :eek: But congrats! That blade earned its keep! :thumbsup: :cool:

Been in a similar situation myself, more costly (~$4k/hr burn rate on a wind tunnel test when the tunnel isn't running), but less dire, and didn't use a Busse, just the pocket knife I had on me at the time. Edge was pretty boogered, but nothing I couldn't sharpen out. My co-workers thought I was crazy using my knife to shave some hardened Aluminum, but by the time they could have gotten tools for the job I was already done. Almost $500 saved by acting quickly and using what I had in my pocket. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That's awesome. No chipping beyond the edge bevel. That's a good outcome probably for any steel, let-alone thin ground elmax !! Good stuff :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

OUCH!!! :eek: But congrats! That blade earned its keep! :thumbsup: :cool:

Been in a similar situation myself, more costly (~$4k/hr burn rate on a wind tunnel test when the tunnel isn't running), but less dire, and didn't use a Busse, just the pocket knife I had on me at the time. Edge was pretty boogered, but nothing I couldn't sharpen out. My co-workers thought I was crazy using my knife to shave some hardened Aluminum, but by the time they could have gotten tools for the job I was already done. Almost $500 saved by acting quickly and using what I had in my pocket. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Great to be the man of the hour with the quick fix, isn’t it?

The total cost of everyone involved had to be up there in the $3k+. Maybe I’ll quiz my boss tomorrow and see if he knows the estimated cost of it. I know I wouldn’t have to be the one signing all the tickets at the end of the day.

Busse's and rocks go well together.

A few days ago I was bushwacking around a rainforest gully and the way was blocked by a large log hanging up in the air. Another tree was down, and it was in a ravine with steep rocky sides... so the way was completely blocked. It was too high to clamber over - a 1 metre thick log, sitting about 1/2 a metre up, and on an angle, so the top of the log was above head height.

Should I turn around and go back? Nope.

b1.jpg

Hammered Busse into the hardwood log with a rock
b2.jpg

b3.jpg

Full body weight including hiking pack
b4.jpg

b5.jpg

Great to be the man of the hour with the quick fix, isn’t it?

The total cost of everyone involved had to be up there in the $3k+. Maybe I’ll quiz my boss tomorrow and see if he knows the estimated cost of it. I know I wouldn’t have to be the one signing all the tickets at the end of the day.
LOL, it is nice to save the day, but they know me well enough there that all I got was an eye roll and a laugh. :rolleyes: ;)

LOL, it is nice to save the day, but they know me well enough there that all I got was an eye roll and a laugh. :rolleyes: ;)

I’m the “knife guy” at work. They know of my passion for edged implements and my habit of always having a razor sharp knife handy quite well. But even though I’ve told them about the top notch Busse warranty, when they see me actually do stuff like this they’re truly impressed.

I thought I’d add why the HACK has earned it’s place as one of my most carried blades, even before today.

Being a nice thin slicey blade, the narrow handle shape with no weird points or lumps just disappears on my belt. As a welder, I’m in awkward positions in cramped spaces fairly often. Laying on my back or sides underneath something, a folder in my pocket or a fixed blade in my hip just suck to lay on. The pocket clip gets snagged on everything, leading to either bending the clip, or pulling the knife right out of my pocket. A kydex sheath with either soft loops IWB or OWB or a TekLock is still fairly wide, and the square TL definitely doesn’t feel good jammed into your hip bone with all your body weight, and also gets in the way when shimmying along on my side. I’m right handed, so my knives sit on my right side, which is also the side I lay on to weld if I’m on the ground. The HACK rides right over my belt buckle horizontally with a rubber snapped belt loop. It’s never in the way, and even if I have to lay on my stomach, it isn’t uncomfortable. I carry a GW, a BAD, and a D2 Vex this way too and they carry well like that, but the HACK is just perfection carried this way.

When the crystalline structure of steel is properly aligned the effects can be quite fantastic. Of course I'm referring to Jerry's secret sauce heat treat.

Busse's and rocks go well together.

A few days ago I was bushwacking around a rainforest gully and the way was blocked by a large log hanging up in the air. Another tree was down, and it was in a ravine with steep rocky sides... so the way was completely blocked. It was too high to clamber over - a 1 metre thick log, sitting about 1/2 a metre up, and on an angle, so the top of the log was above head height.

Should I turn around and go back? Nope.

b1.jpg

Hammered Busse into the hardwood log with a rock
b2.jpg

b3.jpg

Full body weight including hiking pack
b4.jpg

b5.jpg

That’s awesome. I would have done the same in that situation. With a Mistress, not the HACK :D

Just a flesh wound. It will come out with a good steeling. ;)

Or, send it back in for some Shop love.

Obviously no in use pics, given the urgency and the “no mobile devices on site” rule (I work in oil and gas, and anything not rated intrinsically safe, ie; not an ignition source is not allowed without proper permitting and procedures) so I took these later when the lifts were done and I got a break.

You know, historically, rocks and steel were considered an ignition source. :eek:

I'm glad it all worked out ok. Nice work! :thumbsup:

You know, historically, rocks and steel were considered an ignition source. :eek:

I'm glad it all worked out ok. Nice work! :thumbsup:

I know. We were in a green zone for the lift, and everyone on site wears a 4 head monitor. The no phone thing is site wide though. Trust me, if I had been under mask or in an otherwise hazardous area, I would have done the walk for a non sparking tool to cut with.

UPDATE!

The HACK actually fared far better than it looked at first glance. I got a chance to sharpen it back up today, and after cleaning it off, I was amazed at how much better it was than I’d thought.

As best I can measure with setting the calipers I have and backlighting it, the biggest damage is only around .010 deep into the edge. If I was happy with how tough it appeared before, I’m absolutely elated with how it held up now.

Some better pics. I’d taken one through a 10x loupe, but I don’t know why it doesn’t show in my camera roll now.

Post wash, pre sharpen

04EE0368-92BC-4B64-8AE3-0A67658A8B08.jpeg 6A29665E-CD66-44BF-89F7-85E178106A32.jpeg

Post sharpening

0DC774E8-9AF2-48A3-8791-E33B7ACDFE14.jpeg

And in it’s Welke kydex that is worn shiny from my belt buckle.

DF1E4918-178E-4CDC-879A-CFFCA344D2AB.jpeg 9C9C5F19-4347-4B7D-B6BE-8617CB187BFB.jpeg

Since I’ve now done some testing of Jerry’s amazing scotch quenched Elmax, I really want to try out an Elmax Mistress! Whaddaya say Bossman? :D

Last edited:
Great story. Thanks for sharing with us. That Elmax is some tough stuff when you put it through our process. Probably the special scotch quench that Jerry gives each one.

Garth

Great story and pics!!!

Let's Drink!

Jerry

How about an Elmax Mistress (El Amante?) one of these weeks Boss? Or a run of anything in Elmax? I want more now!

Back