Let Us See the Other You!

RyanW

Not all of our lives revolve around Knives, I have spent a lifetime managing my A.D.D. / A.D.H.D. with Hobbies and Activities. I would love to see what other Passions, Hobbies or Activities you participate in outside of the walls of Bladeforums! I will start...

I started SCUBA diving in 1999 and ran with it, I have Advanced Open Water Instruction certifications, Decompression Diving, Wreck Diving...Etc. I LOVE Traveling and writing off trips with my Underwater Video & Photo company "MantaVision"

Here is a video I put together in Isla Mujeres of my wife and I swimming with the Whale Sharks and Mantas
[video=youtube_share;r54L0NcI1AU]http://youtu.be/r54L0NcI1AU[/video]

Fighting Wolf Eel's in Puget Sound Near Tacoma, WA. (I was contacted by Discovery Channel about this one)
[video=youtube_share;cKqLx3mhFeE]http://youtu.be/cKqLx3mhFeE[/video]

Manta in Thailand
http://youtu.be/l9-p5UmA2r4

Sand Tiger (Ragged Tooth Shark) In North Carolina off the wreck "Yancey"
http://youtu.be/q63ZWxX4VNI

Few Photos of Thousands:

Ice Diving:

If you are on Facebook you can find my MantaVision Page Here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Manta-Vision-Photo-Video/191721314335646
Or Instagram: http://instagram.com/mantavision

Lets see what makes you... You!

Last edited:
Beautiful pics! I love to scuba dive. My passion is skydiving, but I also love rock climbing, snowboarding, hunting, and fishing. Anything outdoors really.

84CC41CE-CADC-4CD7-925B-F2DED9C449AA-4862-000001FB17161DB5_zps4569edde.jpg

789284B1-E8E3-415A-9DC6-29BA6A0C7199-210-0000011761CDFF44_zpsae77e3df.jpg

Night jump into stadium:
0CC8374E-BF97-4BDF-8F6D-EB5D12A0FBFD-210-000001174F4CBDCD_zpscceacc9a.jpg

FB6E3ADA-DD7F-4831-992F-C66CFD3FE2F4-3760-000004F996BA9599.jpg

GOPR8118.jpg

8F01B09D-4DAA-4C74-B2C5-CC0D0EDD14E7-2684-0000031FDB5467CC.jpg

4164127A-ED4A-443B-8685-7B762ADA4401_zpsjjvnb52f.jpg

Very cool HWF! Love the Night photo above the stadium!

I actually have 30+ jumps under my belt but won't bore you with the footage :rolleyes: I have been out of that game for 15 years but am still friends with those that live out at the jump zone (Bunch of shirtless shoeless Bums!! Haha). It takes some serious talent to drop into a stadium with a flag trailing! Props to you!

Thanks for sharing!

OK I lied... I am only sharing this because it was on the same YouTube page as the other SCUBA videos.
[video=youtube_share;cdVbk6b4HjU]http://youtu.be/cdVbk6b4HjU[/video]

I race sailboats at the semi-professional level. I'm paid to race, but don't earn my living from it, I manage a pet store full time.

Started sailing at about 8-9 with my best friend, started racing as soon as a secnd boat showed up. Taught sailing for several years, worked as a rigger, and now I just show up and make a boat go fast. I especially love older designs and the finesse involved with them.

Rolex Internation Big Boat Series... that's me all the way on the left, I'm a bow man. SF Bay.

Knots2_BBS06-4.png

On our way to our 7th season title in 11 years, again, that's me up front. Local river sailing...

CameraEffects_zps7382ff56.jpg

My passion outside of sharp things is photography. Film and digital. I shoot Nikon mainly, but also own Leica, Yashica, Minolta, Konica, Miranda, and a few older odd balls.

145ffb7b-c2db-4337-bd43-b745f56e5216_zps3781db81.jpg

DSC_0092_zps1a56f72f.jpg

Mainly I'm known as a tinkerer, I like to make things, I like to learn things, I like to learn to make things. When not doing stuff like that I'm enjoying my lovely wife and our 4 year old son, and two dogs.

-Xander

Xander,
Thanks for sharing, I have been on a few sail boats and the peace and quiet of cruising without a noisy motor was my favorite part. That and standing on the bow with out stretched arms yelling "King of the world"!

I realize the type of sailing you do is not the casual peaceful kind but definitely adds a lot of excitement to sailing. I believe you have a bunch more "hobbies" hidden under there if I remember right!

OK I lied... I am only sharing this because it was on the same YouTube page as the other SCUBA videos.
[video=youtube_share;cdVbk6b4HjU]http://youtu.be/cdVbk6b4HjU[/video]

Nice bro! I used to work at Skydive Utah and some of my best bros still work at Skydive Ogden. I've jumped there several times. I spent about 7 years living in northern Utah. I miss it every day. I lived in NSL and Tooele.

Xander: Awesome dude! That looks like tons of fun. Love your photos as well.

Very cool. You may remember the plane that crashed in the Great Salt Lake that was carrying skydivers back from a Mesquite Jump event? 5 of those 9 that died were my instructors. That kinda put a damper on my Jumping. Very Sad times!!

Dont mean to bring the mood down, keep them coming!

I remember that. A king air. Very unfortunate. Here's a Air Tran 717 that almost hit me once. This .3x wide angle shot makes it look very far away, but it was super close. You could hear the turbines and see faces in the windows. They were banking to avoid us.

F4071239-4B9C-47D7-9A03-8BBDDFD815D5-3983-0000054069F50508_zps31bfc681.jpg

Yikes!! Haha good thing you are still smiling. Not so sure about your Passenger :eek:

Xander,
Thanks for sharing, I have been on a few sail boats and the peace and quiet of cruising without a noisy motor was my favorite part. That and standing on the bow with out stretched arms yelling "King of the world"!

I realize the type of sailing you do is not the casual peaceful kind but definitely adds a lot of excitement to sailing. I believe you have a bunch more "hobbies" hidden under there if I remember right!

Yeah, sailing is a very relaxing thing. I still enjoy going for a sunset cruise though. Racing is, well, racing! Intense, lots of yelling, I manage everything from the mast forward, all sail changes, and mark roundings as well as calling traffi, waves, close crossing situations and the start.

Lots of hobbies is true! Hunting, building guns, music, cycling (ex bike mechanic/shop manager), writing, wood turning, metal detecting, I'm building a '66 VW bug, and I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of right now.

But, even racing can have peace and quiet moments...

2011-09-1411131_edit_1391068241582_zpsog0dxbft.jpg

-Xander

HWF the passenger doesnt look nearly as thrilled as you. Skydiving is something that seems so unreal to me, I cant actually imagine jumping out of a plane. Im usually game to do all the crazy ish but it would take some persuasion to do that particular stunt no doubt.

I have hobbies all over, but school is what takes up the majority of my time. Staying still is what I find the hardest.

[video=youtube;DDNyDNsQvRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNyDNsQvRI[/video]

Xander,

^^^ Hmm, not sure how I feel about that…:p

Love the skydiving pics!! That's something I've always wanted to do - on my terms that is anyway. I've done parachute training, but only as a "gotta get out of the airplane" kinda thing..

Scuba is also on my want to-do list, although I couldn't seem to find the time when I lived in FL or HI!! Now that I'm in AK, not so much ;)

Here's some of me:

Work (well, at work - not necessarily "working"):

4sbX5mp.jpg

This was in Thailand, I'm the guy on the right about to pass out from heat stroke..

Mcs6Qmv.jpg

Still in Thailand, where else can you be having dinner at a roadside table and get to pet an elephant?!

vVSbx9a.jpg

Work again, this time in a dusty S**thole - missing my airplane..

O2KQ7Fj.jpg

Ok, I guess you did say hobbies..

uYUsQgz.jpg

4clA1UQ.jpg

j5Gugsw.jpg

QVFf2EN.jpg

I like boats..

ALT4Cl2.jpg

fJsx7kG.jpg

And fishing..

67p69si.jpg

PHRBvh9.jpg

And, just being outside in general..

Nice to see you with your own BF sub forum, Ryan!!

Shane, Thanks for posting! I believe I owe you an Email... I think we need to get going on the High Carbon Kitchen Set and pin down the Stainless Plans! Thanks for posting sometimes I wonder how my life would be different if I had joined one of the armed forces in my youth. I am sure I would have been some guy fixing diesel Trucks :barf: Not that, that is a bad thing. I just cant stand mechanic-ing.

I'm boring I just like guns and knives :(

and jewelry :)

P1080285.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0722-1.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

a little acting :)

IMG_8622.jpg

P1030397-1.jpg

P1030382.jpg

Oh, my goodness! There's another me? Look out, World. It's dangerous out there if two TJ's exist.

Ryan is correct, my life does not revolve around knives. But knives (especially Ryan W. Knives) revolve around ME. :) Since I retired July 1, 2012, I have been kept busy with my community volunteer work. Sheesh, I thought I was going to be relaxing and doing project around the house. Yeah, right. The projects are still unfinished and I am busier than when I worked full time. At least it seems that way.

I am active in my local Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) which basically falls under FEMA at the very top, but we are under the umbrella of our local FD. I am a certified member, trainer, webmaster, team leader, and anything else my CERT President asks me to do. My "specialty" during our Training Academies is Module 6 - Organization and Documentation. Can it get any more boring? I do the documentation portion and I call it "Fun Forms with Judy." I keep the class members hyped up about how EXCITING Fun Forms with Judy is going to be, so that by the time week 6 rolls around, they are actually looking forward to it. I assist with training for the rest of the modules and the practical exam.

Then I got hooked up with the American Red Cross, initially to be trained to work as a Shelter Associate when "the big one hits." And it WILL hit. The last one we had was 1992 - The Landers Earthquake - a 7.6 on the old Richter Scale. Talk about Rock N Roll! Well, the shelter training took me into disaster action team (DAT) training, and then client casework training. Guess what? I'm now taken the Shelter Supervisor AND Manager training. I currently am a DAT Captain (we got out on fire calls to provide immediate assistance to victims of a fire). I am also a Client Caseworker and it is my job to follow up with Clients from all over the County area who have been victims of a fire or other disaster, to see how the Clients are doing in their recovery, and how the ARC can assist. Of course, the ARC Staff decided I have too much enthusiasm, so they have created a "yet to be defined" position for me as the Community Organizer for the volunteers in my area. I believe being a Community Organizer qualifies me to run for POTUS. That's on the agenda for maybe 2016?

I finally studied hard and got my ham radio license - Technician. KK6GYX. I am a member of the local ham club and also our local ARES. I'm even on the Net Roster and will be Net Control at the end of March. No rest for the wicked.

Of course I can't just stop there. I attended my first Community Emergency Management Council Meeting on Tuesday. All of the big guns from the local community, including the Marine Base, were in attendance. We will all work together in a disaster. It was a great meeting. Only the literacy tutoring is not part of this Council - all 3 of the other organizations I am part of participate.

On Tuesdays I do adult literacy tutoring. I have two learners and that takes up pretty much every Tuesday.

So far I have 3 days off starting tomorrow. Yeah, like that is gonna happen. I am fortunate that a lot of the volunteer work I do for these organizations can be done at home on my computer, except for meetings, events, and going out on DAT calls for the Red Cross. So I wear my Ryan W. Knives t-shirts at home and I'm really groovy doing that.

Ryan is awesome. I have such admiration for everything he has done with his life, and I'm especially happy that he and wife Nikki are expecting their first child together. Yippee!!

TJ

Lorien spends most of his life playing on 2 wheels with sharp objects in his hand or strapped to his back!

Very nice make up David! you make a very convincing King!

Another activity I really enjoy is Enduro riding in some of the roughest county around... MOAB, SanRafael Swell, Southern Utah.
This is a section in MOAB called Behind the rocks, the video always makes the terrain look laughable but it is actually a pretty tough section this is my buddy Tibby
[video=youtube_share;W7mDRsBDSLE]http://youtu.be/W7mDRsBDSLE[/video]

and here I am in the same section
[video=youtube_share;77Ev2MZdZAo]http://youtu.be/77Ev2MZdZAo[/video]

This is a video my wife likes to watch on a loop when she is feeling down.... I won't make too many excuses but I did just change out my knobby tires with Trials Tires for the Slick rock.
[video=youtube_share;qZUbFj63hlc]http://youtu.be/qZUbFj63hlc[/video]

This is a Trail called "5 Miles of Hell" in the SanRafael Swell. One of the toughest trails in the nation, There have been motorcycles and riders airl lifted out of this section.
[video=youtube_share;TNw5NJ2Cqk4]http://youtu.be/TNw5NJ2Cqk4[/video]

Last Video... It is a little long, For my bachelor party a group of us decided to go out to the Swell and do some riding. long story short I crashed and Broke my left Middle and Ring fingers. Wedding ring does not fit to this day :p
Fast forward to 7:30 for the crash
[video=youtube_share;QK6Dda_jVqY]http://youtu.be/QK6Dda_jVqY[/video]

*** Just noticed I drop the F-Bomb there at the end, Not a big swearer so thought I would give a warning!

Last edited:
Back