Let's get back to what we like to talk about.

I am getting a 20" AK either tomorrow or thursday. I know it's a bruiser, but what should I expect? I'll probably make it a "user" as my other 2 I have are much too pretty, and I wouldn't think of "insulting" my Kothimoda by making her do "manual labor"!!

Isn't chopping bricks in half knife-abuse...
They aren't really made for this task, are they ?

I'd consider chopping bricks a case of asking too much of even an HI khukhuri. Still, knowing Bill, he'd probably honor the guarantee even in such a situation. But a wise man wouldn't depend on it...
Of course, if there was a cask of Amontillado on the other side of the bricks...

------------------
The sword cannot cut itself, the eye cannot see itself.

I wouldn't doubt it if Uncle Bill would still honor the gaurantee. I would hope he accompany it with a warning of no more returns for this much abuse. I really could never return this knife, I like it way too much and I have abused it pretty well. Where is Cliff Stamp? Uncle Bill is too good of a guy sometimes.
Matthew
The knives will stand up to it, but I wouldn't recomend it unless you want to spend a few hours fixing the edge.

I can tell you from personal experience that the 20 inch AK is a great chopper. I use mine for splitting firewood. However, after a few minutes of serious chopping I find myself using both hands. However, as much as I like it, the 20" AK isn't nearly as versatile as the 18 incher for general-purpose work. Think of the 20 incher as a .44 magnum revolver, and the 18 incher as a .357. Each does its particualr job very well, but the big one demands far more from its user than the other, so after awhile ceases to be as much fun -- IMHO.

So, I guess what you guys are saying is:
It's pretty brawny.

I've got a bunch of Eastern Maple blocks that were mill ends from a furniture factory.
They are about 4 inches thick, a foot wide and 12-18 inches long. Sounds like perfect test material....

Mail lady didn't have it today. Probably tomorrow.

Oh well, too danged wet out today anyway!

Thanks again Uncle for my next 2 Khukuris.
Kumar Kobra and a Sirupati by Sher..

So Sher likes to make 'em heavy duty eh?

Roger

:
The wet weather is what's stopping me from testing the YCS on a mulberry tree that grows in our back easement.
We had no rain for over 50 days in Aug. & Sept. and now we are being inundated.
That could be partly a bunch of us ndn's doing as we had a four Pipe Pipe Ceremony praying for rain since we couldn't build a fire to heat rocks for the Sweatlodge.
Two weeks later it started raining
and Oct. had two inches more rain than normal.
I guess we should have been more expicit.
smile.gif

Two weeks ago we had 80° weather and snow, sleet and rain are forecast for tonight with winter storm advisories with temps around 30°.
That's Oklahoma!!
Kinda like NEPAL HO!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

........unknown, to me anyway........

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

It's raining in Atlanta too. I have some good dead wood to chop away on in my backyard. I was using my WWII about a week ago on it. I noticed that the horn handle sends a little more shock up the hand and wrist than the wood handle, but it's sooo purty.

:)

Yvsa,
I'm curious about the Chakma and Karda.
The Karda looks like a nice knife in it's own right. What are it's dimensions again?
Since I have a Yvsa Special on order, I'm bummed that I can't go back a few days to read about the specs and look at the pictures.

Its been raining here in Southern Illinois for the last several days as well.

Bob

:
Rd, I almost missed your question, but here 'tis.
smile.gif

There is no chakma so to speak.
Uncle Bill said a long time ago that if he could only take one khukuri that he would sharpen the chakma making it into another karda.
I took Uncle Bill's advice when designing the YCS and her tool's.

The short karda is 7 1/4" oal with a 3 7/8" blade 1" wide. The long one is 8 1/8" oal with a 5" blade that's almost 1 1/8" wide.
Both are of a dropped point design with recurved blades and small integral guards. Both can be used as the chakma since they are both well hardened, but I consider the short one better suited since I think the short chakmas give better control.
I made the handles so that my pinkie finger would close into my palm behind the handle making the knives more secure when making a penetrateing cut.
Both blades are nicely distal tapered.
smile.gif

The three cornered punch makes holes in cloth that resist the tearing that is common when cutting holes with a knife blade.

I absolutely know that I am very prejudiced in favor of the YCS and her tool's since it is my design taken from hopefully the best world's of the past and present.
I also know that it will not be the workhorse the AKs are and time will tell if I truly prefer the YCS over my other khukuri's, but Uncle Bill was so Very Correct when he said this one would probably become my favorite.
I am very impatiently waiting for the weather to clear so I can do some real world work with it.
That may take place today in spite of the mud and mess in the wild easement behind our house.
smile.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

........unknown, to me anyway........

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website