1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's make a sword.

Discussion in 'Newberry Knives' started by Allen Newberry, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2007
    So, I decided to make a sword. The first thing that this meant is that I needed to make a sword heat treating forge. Here is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]image upload

2. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2007
  3. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    I ground the blade etc. then started chopping random objects to make sure it will do what it should when I put it all together.

[​IMG]

Eventually... Peening the tang.

[​IMG]

I still need to do a few odds and ends before it is truly finished. But, it is to the stage of being a fully functional sword.

4. timichango

timichango

Apr 26, 2013
    Gnarly. Are those barrels insulated?

What's the heat source? O/A torch?

5. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    The barrels are lined with 1" thick 8# simwool. It is fired with a weed burner.

6. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

Here it is hanging in my living room. I still need to do a few things. But, I figured I wouldn't mind staring at it during commercials.