LETS POST PICS..

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by number41, Apr 2, 2020.

1. number41

number41

May 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. number41

number41

May 24, 2012
    ok so that didn't go to well

3. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    I can see the link you posted. It should also be possible for you to upload files directly using buttons at the bottom of the posting window. Unless that requires special permissions, but it’s worth looking. The forum software and settings change frequently and I’m often behind the times.

in the spirit of this thread, here is a picture. Not shiny hi-res. Recently sent to me by a friend of a couple of knives I gave to her more than a quarter century ago. I had forgotten about them. One is an HI khukuri. She thought it might be time for them to be sharpened, so I stopped by to sharpen them up. (That was before lockdown.)

75C05069-C337-4BAE-8732-73977D5516A1.jpeg

4. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Asking about your favorite Khuk is sometimes like asking which child you like best, kind of tough.
    Here's two of my favorites a Trisuli Gaule (sp) and the worlds bestest Curved Spine by Thamar.
    [​IMG]
    But I got one or two other favorites too.
    [​IMG]
    Good idea you got here, things need to liven up a bit.

number41 likes this.
  5. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Favorite Khuk - My trusty BAS by Lok

Bas-Lok Kami.JPG
    My Favorite HI Knife - Western Knife by Yuvraj

resized IMG_1403.jpg

number41 likes this.
  6. number41

number41

May 24, 2012
    Very nice!!!

7. number41

number41

May 24, 2012
  8. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    Isn't that one on the right called a sow belly or something like that. Those always appealed to me for some reason. That looks like a really nice one, not like most of the commercially produced ones we usually see.

9. Howard Wallace

Feb 23, 1999
    That’s an old Grohmann #1/D.H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife. Many companies have produced knives of that design over the years. Herters did, a number of smaller brands, and I believe Cold Steel is still making one. It is a good design. I was able to persuade HI to give that design a shot and the kamis produced an excellent hand forged version. It was disappointing to me when it was offered on Bladeforums a few years back and caused a ruckus among some members because the kamis were “stealing” a western design. Can’t remember ever hearing a peep on Bladeforums about the numerous western firms that have produced similar designs.

10. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    The Cold Steel was the one I was thinking of, while a nice enough knife it doesn't sing like the one in your photo. I knew is was something Canadian, now I seem to recall it being called a Roach Belly? No matter it's nice and I'll probably never find one like it so guess I'll move on.

11. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    One of my earliest HI blades is still a favorite. Elegant and utilitarian. A 15.5" OAL, 16oz villager Chitlangi by Lokendra, with steel bolster and buttcap:

Chitlangi15.5in-Villager-Lokendra16oz-for-Dave-01cr.jpg

For sheer beauty these two are top of the list:

17" OAL, 30 oz YCS by Bura, gorgeously engraved on both sides, handle, karda and chakma. 18" OAL, 30 oz Smatchet by Sher.

YCS-17in-Bura30oz-engraved-03.jpg YCS-17in-Bura30oz-engraved-09.jpg Smatchet18-Sher30oz-for-Dave-06cr.jpg

I have several blades that are beasts, but this stands out above the rest. 20" OAL, 35 oz Bolo Knife by Sher. The spine is a full 1/2" thick for the length of the blade. Deep, wide fullers keep the weight down to a "mere" 35 oz, but in terms of strength this is a much heavier knife. The picture doesn't do it justice.

BoloKnife20-Sher35-09cr.jpg

12. Howard Wallace

Feb 23, 1999
    The original Grohmann #1 is still in production. It is a great classic knife and is still readily available. Just google it.

13. number41

number41

May 24, 2012
    [​IMG]
    You have a beautiful blade there!!!

14. pugs75

pugs75 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Here a few,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lastly one for Joe, Non HI but he really likes this knife!!
    [​IMG]

George Azar and number41 like this.
  15. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    YES HE DOES. And that sheath rocks it even more. That sings.

Now I can come back and look at this picture whenever I'm feeling blue. That sings.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  16. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Pugs: Nice knives. For our viewers who might not know, please remind everybody who made those sheaths.

number41 likes this.
  17. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    That Hasiya Sheath is wicked cool, love the heck out of that one. All way cool.

18. pugs75

pugs75 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Lol thanks Joe, I thought it might put a smile on your face.
    David thank you as well, Ole Pugs made em. The Hasiya was one of the first that I carved, boy it was nerve wracking and did it with a traditional frog, was alot of work.

George Azar likes this.
  19. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Yup she's still beautiful!

20. George Azar

George Azar Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2017
    David, that YCS is absolutely gorgeous! I’ve got 3 but none engraved