Let's review some Fiskars axes...

Sufler

Gold Member
Fiskars offers a wide range from hatchets to splitting axes. They seem to delivery on quality to value to performance. I read the Amazon reviews, but considering the fact that Fiskars can be purchased at just about any major hardware retailer - can we really trust an opinion from a person who has probably never dealt with a wide array of different type of axes to give a productive, comparable review.

I've had the 14" hatchet (what is now the X7) for years. I've used it around camp a number of times and it's been my go-to throwing hatchet - still going strong and hardly a bruise anywhere.

So, what's your opinion of the Fiskars?

I probably wouldn't be looking at them if they weren't made in Finland. And, it seems most of the other "outdoor/gardening" products offered by Fiskars are made in other countries.

:)

I've got a Fiskars splitting axe and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I really like Fiskars in general. I have the X27, X25, "Super Splitter", "Pro Splitter", 28inch chopping axe, and one of the hatchets. I'll get some pics together and give my impression of each.

I really like Fiskars in general. I have the X27, X25, "Super Splitter", "Pro Splitter", 28inch chopping axe, and one of the hatchets. I'll get some pics together and give my impression of each.

Looking forward to it!

:thumbup:

I just read a review where the handle failed while being used in 20 degree weather. Mhh... I wonder if it was a lemon or these can't really stand colder temps. I don't recall using mine in cold temps.

Any feedback?

I used mine to split frozen oak last winter. The temps were in the teens. I experienced no problems with cracking and I was taking big swings.

They are not for me, but there have been reviews posted on here before. Lots of guys like them and the price is right. I think Rocky Mountain bushcraft has reviewed a couple of them before. Good luck!

Had to stop by Sears on the way to check out some of the other models:

12012012004.jpg

I currently have a Fiskars hatchet (an X7, I think). I have to say that I am not very happy with it. I bought it at a Canadian Tire on the way out to camping trip, so I could split some wood, and after being used for only a couple of weeks over the summer the edge was practically destroyed. The metal in the head is very very soft, and splitting reasonably sized hardwood logs was clearly too much for it. Since it is so soft though, I just got a file set and was able to file it back down quite easiy. I'll give it another chance, not that I've reshaped and sharpened the head a bit to see how it does.

I am probably going to get a new axe for this summer though, something a little longer and heavier, a SFA or a LHA I figure. The fiskars are cheap, and I feel like it shows.

I was using my Fiskars X7 hatchet yesterday in -4 degree weather and my handle held up just fine.

I prefer the look at feel of wood hafted hatchets and axes. However, I had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to use the small Fiskars axe to split some rather large red oak firewood. I thought we were asking too much of the little axe. On top of it being a bit small for the job, the owner had let it go pretty dull.

Well, after putting my considerable weight behind it, the little axe split logs that were about 3 feet long. I'd say it's a pretty good little unit! If it had been sharper, it would have been even better!

I purchased a Fiskars pro chopping axe about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. :thumbup:

IMG_0088-1.jpg

I have the chopping axe, x7 hatchet, and the older version of the hatchet, cannot remember the model #. They've all performed very well. I have put the chopping axe (X15) through some fairly hard use and it has held up very well. It will limb 2 and 3" green ash branches with a single hit. I don't even use a chain saw for limbing most of the time, esp if I'm working alone, just the axe. As for the hatchet, I might buy and use other small choppers, but along with my 14" Tram bolo, the Fiskars hatchet is on the short list of those that punch way above their weight class and I wouldn't trade it for any other without a lot of testing. I still have the older version of the hatchet and its fantastic as well. I got the newer model as a birthday present or I would have happily just kept using the original (still not sure which one I prefer).

Edit to add: the edges on mine all came with a bit of a wire edge under the coating they apply at the factory. I'd put a better edge on them straight off, or the wire edge folding and chipping will look like the steel is crap. It isn't but the factory edge might be. With a nice convex the ones I have bought are real performers. My original hatchet would still shave arm hair after several camping trips - that's pretty good.

Last edited:
I used an X25 to split frozen hardwood all last winter. The temps were around 0 degrees farenheit at times. I hit the handle a few times with no issues.

You are correct Heavyhanded, there is some brittle steel that will chip away, once you get rid of it there is much more robust steel waiting.
Not sure how maybe the edge is ground too thin before heat treat and it overheats, getting too hard and brittle, or maybe they overheat it when they do the final sharpening. Anyway, happened with all 3 of mine over the years and I have read many similar experiences.

I appreciate all the comments on Fiskars so far. Please keep 'em coming.

Here's my 14" hatchet (now X7).

DSC06405.jpg

DSC06406.jpg

DSC06408.jpg

DSC06404.jpg

I could see owning the 8" X5 and the larger chopping 23.5" X15 some time in the future. The 8" X5 reminds me a lot of the Gransfors Kubben or Hand Hatchet - wonder how they perform in comparison.

Last edited:
I could see owning the 8" X5 and the larger chopping 23.5" X15 some time in the future. The 8" X5 reminds me a lot of the Gransfors Kubben or Hand Hatchet - wonder how they perform in comparison.

Hey Sufler, I've been testing an X5 since May, and should have a review up in the next 8-10 weeks. I don't want to give too much away, but I can say that I like it even more than the X7 so far. Great little bushcraft tool!

Jason

Back