Let's say I wanted to start collecting movie replica swords...

Folks, I hope you will bear with my multitude of sword questions... I have been inspired by the movie Gladiator and the latest Blade magazine. I started thinking "hey, I could have one (or two) of those". Factory-X is selling a replica of Gen. Maximus' cavalry sword.
- Are these $300 swords of good quality and craftsmanship?
- How would you actually display such an item?
- Can a sword safely be left out for display? (I ask because I have a safe full of beautiful firearms that never see the light of day.)
- How do you folks deal with the "war department" (i.e. spouse/partner/signifcant other). Sneaking a sword into the house seems a little out of the question. Any good answers to the "why do you need THAT" question?

I appreciate the opportunity to learn about sword collecting!

Howdy Reverend, and welcome to Bladeforums!
As to the questions, that's what we're all about. We love questions and every once in a blue moon, we've even got an answer to one or two of them.:D

Pardon my quotes, I'll address your post piece by piece.

<b>"Factory-X is selling a replica of Gen. Maximus' calvary sword."</b>
I've never heard of Factory-X myself, but check with some other sources first. It pays to comparison shop on the net.
Try,
http://store.museumreplicas.com/cgi-bin/www11650.storefront/
Also give a look to;
http://www.by-the-sword.com/united2.html

Both these pages offer several different swords based on recent movies.
I've personally dealt with By the Sword and Museum Replicas and can state with no hesitation that they are reputable with excellent customer service.

Also check out
http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-Product Speck?UC17501
Though I haven't dealt with Knife Center, I understand them to be very good to deal with.

<b>"- Are these $300 swords of good quality and craftsmanship?"</b>

That depends on your definition of "good quality and craftsmanship."

People looking for a "wall hanger" are not looking for the same thing as someone looking for a "user." Generally speaking, movie swords are not made for real use. They're intended as a display piece only and some of them are dangerous to even swing with great force.

An example would be the famous, and in some circles, infamous "Highlander" katana. This is a sword that appears to be a traditionally constructed katana to the uninitiated, with a traditional tang. Unfortunately, nothing could be farther from the truth, as the sword actually has a rather un-substantial welded "rat tail" tang and has actually been known to break under the stress of being "swung." This causes the blade to go flying wildly off into the surrounding landscape and could cause serious injury or even death to a bystander.
Sadly, because I buy only "users" I have no personal experience with movie swords and can't tell you if any given one (other than the above mentioned Highlander" is safe to wield or not. Maybe one of our other regulars can lend a hand on this.

<b>"- Can a sword safely be left out for display?"</b>

Well, that's another tough question. "Safe" meaning what?
As far as I know, I don't think there are any laws in Virginia which would prohibit you from owning and displaying a sword in your home, so legally it should be safe.

Do you have children in your home? This can be a problem, as swords are well known "kid magnets" and any child in the home should be taught to respect even a display piece with the same reverence they would give to a firearm.

<b>"- How do you folks deal with the "war department"</b>
LOL! Interesting term for it.
Fortunately, my wife is completely understanding of my "toy addiction" and is tolerant as long as I leave money for luxuries such as food and house payments.
As for the "Why do you need THAT?" questions, I train "live steel" with rapier and main gauche, so I actually DO need new swords from time to time. (Even the best will eventually wear out if you use them hard enough.)

Not everyone is able to find a place to train and learn near them however. If you're interested though, do some net searching for "fencing" "sword groups" "Living History" "English Civil War" and so on for Virginia, you might be surprised at what you'll find.

I hope I've managed to answer SOME of your questions but please feel free to post anything else that comes to mind!

Once again, welcome to BFC
:D

Checked out one of these at the mall knife store. Carbon steel, but made in India, I believe. The big problem I saw was the grip one the handle was made of plastic, fake bone I guess. Overall not too trustworthy of an item for te price. KrisCutlery.com has a real gladius for $150 or so. Read others views on it and they seemed to like it alot. Also AlbionArmorers.com have the real deal as for as European swords go. They have several types of gladii in the same price range as the movie replica. But I'm not too sure if they are providing scabbards with their swords. But definitely woth a look.

Thanks for the comments! We don't have kids of any kind (me excluded) in our home but it is something to keep in mind when we have visitors. The small town I live in has a lot going for it but being close to cutlery stores is not one of them! I conclude that I will have to inspect one of these replica swords myself to see if it is worth the asking price. I've also noticed that there is quite the range of price for the same thing. An internet search on "Sword of Maximus" reveals at least $100 between high and low. I guess they are made in India and sold by a number merchants here in the US. I've also seen websites offering Roman swords that seem very nice. Again, this means I will have to get to a big store or show and have a look.

Back