Lets see opinels - Pic Thread

Great knives for sure Vince and let's not forget there are scale choices-I have some in Bubinga and even Horn :cool: In addition, there are useful variations in sizes (and tasks) the No. 8 being the usual but I like the 6 and 7-then there are behemoths too :D Saw a display in a knife shop in France with some GIGANTIC version :D
I definitely want to add to my collection. I like the olive wood with Inox blade (I think it's 12C27). And a No. 10 with corkscrew is nice.

Opinels are such great inventions! Such simple but effective tools. I used to use them when I lived in a rural atmosphere 40 plus years , ago! For a few bucks back then, it didn't detract from trying to feed two kids, and two parents!!:eek:
I can't remember when I bought this one, but I thought it was a nice tribute to the time honored design!!
I can't find the original paperwork, except the box, and i don't see a similar wood on Opinel websites. Does anyone recognize the handles??:rolleyes:
Opie 8 1.jpg Opie 8 2.jpg Opie 8 3.jpg Opie 8 4.jpg Opie 8 5.jpg Opie 8 6.jpg

IsawvgH.jpg

An Opinel 6 is in my pocket every day, along with a couple of other knives. I have been using Opinels for close to 50 years, but didn’t like to carry them because of the lump they made in my pocket. When I finally got on BF a few years ago, I soon learned what should have been obvious all along; you don’t have to leave them alone. It is okay to trim the handles so they ride comfortably in the pocket.

The No.8 used to be my mainstay, but I now have a couple of slimmed-down sixes. I didn’t use any sandpaper on the No.10. I used a Mora and a Case Seahorse Whittler to trim the pommel and flatten the sides. Then I scored the sides with a rasp to give them some texture. It is okay, but I am not wild about it.

4EECB90B-DB41-4F22-9A4C-4BF029FB86E6.jpeg

Mr. Beige sir - whittling on an Opinel handle with a Case Sea Horse is just about the most righteous thing I have heard all week. Really like the way you think man. I like the rasp idea too. I have used a couple of Opinels in my kitchen for many years and they are so good for cutting up veggies and such. A sharp Opinel will make a tomato just faint dead away. Now I'm gonna hafta go sit on the back porch and whittle them Opinel handles to suit me.......... Thanks.

Last edited:
Mr. Beige sir - whittling on an Opinel handle with a Case Sea Horse is just about the most righteous thing I have heard all week. Really like the way you think man. I like the rasp idea too. I have used a couple of Opinels in my kitchen for many years and they are so good for cutting up veggies and such. A sharp Opinel will make a tomato just faint dead away. Now I'm gonna hafta go sit on the back porch and whittle them Opinel handles to suit me.......... Thanks.

The No.6 in this link has been carried a lot. In the photo above, it is second from the left.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/opinel-mods-lets-see-them.1410003/page-6#post-18212664

Back