1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets See Some Pure Fighters

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by JParanee, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Steven, he sure did make a great knife. I had been on the lookout for a knife by Rob for a long time and finally got my chance not long ago. Ended up buying the Chute Knife, a Dropped Hunter, and a Green River Skinner, all in ironwood to make a great set. I plan to build a display (probably shadow box style) to showcase all three together.

Mike157 likes this.
  2. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I don't know who that is.

But have a 10" contact wheel and thought it would look cool to sculpt the spine of the wharnie

I guess there is only so many way it can come out anyways lol

3. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Janich bio below.

Just for the record: I really like some of your knives and didnt mean to imply anything.

Your knife above looks great.

I like big knives and fighting Bowies etc as much as the next guy but your knife is shaved down to the bare necessity and that has its own charm. Very efficient and good looking style to boot.

I like it, I like it a lot.

A wharnie is of course an established design from way before Janich made his knives. As you say, this a sculpted Wharnie and there are only so many variations of a theme.

Janich made the Ronin (and the folding Yojimbo) in a collab with Spyderco.

[​IMG]

Sry for lengthy bio but could'nt link to non-supporting vendor.

"Michael Janich has been a student and teacher of the martial arts and practical self-defense for more than 30 years. The author or co-author of numerous books and instructional videos on personal defense, combat shooting, and other topics, Janich has also been published in more than a dozen magazines, including Black Belt, Inside Kung Fu, Tactical Knives, Fighting Knives, Combat Knives, American Handgunner, Guns Combat Annual, S.W.A.T., and many others. Janich has recently earned critical acclaim as a co-host and subject-matter expert for Outdoor Channel's new hit personal defense series The Best Defense and The Best Defense Survival. He has also been featured numerous times on radio and national television, including appearances on Ripley’s Believe It or Not! (demonstrating the use of the blowgun) and the Outdoor Channel’s popular Shooting Gallery series.

A decorated U.S. Army veteran and former DoD intelligence officer, Janich served with the National Security Agency (NSA) and Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). He was also a team leader for the Joint Task Force-Full Accounting (JTF-FA), investigating the fates of U.S. POW-MIA in Vietnam and Laos.

In 1994, Janich joined Paladin Press™ of Boulder, Colorado, and established their video production department. During his 10 years of service with Paladin, Janich recruited some of the tactical industry’s most talented instructors and personally shot, directed, edited, and produced more than 100 best-selling instructional videos. Among the authors with whom Janich has worked are Kelly McCann, the late Jim Cirillo, Louis Awerbuck, James Keating, Kelly Worden, Joseph Simonet, Mark Hatmaker, and Bill Kipp. Janich was also personally selected to work with the late Col. Rex Applegate as the producer of his landmark instructional videos on handgun point shooting. During his service with Paladin, Janich also established himself as the company’s in-house subject matter expert, providing an exceptional degree of customer service to Paladin’s dealers and retail customers.

Janich is the founder of the Martial Blade Concepts (MBC) system of edged-weapon tactics, as well as the related systems of Counter-Blade Concepts (CBC), Damithurt Silat, and Sobadiwan Eskrima. Janich was one of 12 subject-matter experts selected for TSA’s air crew self-defense program and continues to teach seminars and training courses around the world. A noted knife designer and expert on edged-weapon tactics, he is currently the Special Projects Coordinator for Spyderco , Inc."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  4. AVigil

Feb 17, 2009
  5. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
    Yeah, thats what I think.

I certainly like the style.

:oops:Only problem now is, that as I like the style/design of both the Ronin and the Yojimbo, I also happen to think your knife is beyond cool and now have a hankering for one of those.

Thank you!!!:mad:

naturalist likes this.
  6. Coke

Coke

Aug 26, 2016
    Giedymin - just arrived. Fits in the hand like a glove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

valknut, VashHash, d762nato and 6 others like this.
  7. Coke

Coke

Aug 26, 2016
  8. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    That wood is beautiful on that big boy and the whole knife is quite awesome overall as well.

9. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    .213" Grade 38 Ti with carbidized edge, brass guard, elk handle, held with G-flex and a Ti pin. Weighs 11.7oz with a balance point right in front of guard.

IMG_20180313_075135_679.jpg

Jsega51, AVigil and jwccustom57 like this.
  10. Storm Crow

Storm Crow

Apr 12, 2006
    hk1123, Jsega51, BenR.T. and 3 others like this.
  11. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
    Thats a meanie - I like it.

12. JParanee

JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    James

Real good one buddy

13. Erin Burke

Erin Burke KnifeMaker...ish

May 19, 2003
    From a few months back... but I guess I'd consider this a "pure" fighter. ;)

[​IMG]

Erin

valknut, v8r and Charlie Mike like this.
  14. Ben Seward

Ben Seward Full-time Bladesmith/Part-time Idiot Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2012
    Wouldn't mind something like this myself IMG_20180215_145628_044.jpg

VashHash, Tyshoots, mb> and 9 others like this.
  15. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Geidymin, this make a nasty, nice pair of fighters. Love your work, as always!!!

16. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

3fifty7 and Charlie Mike like this.
  17. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
    Shiv it!

3fifty7, Charlie Mike and mb> like this.
  18. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000

19. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 18, 2011
    M3.V2 trench knives.

[​IMG]

One off subhilt tanto fighter, Vorpal style handle and shoulder carry rig.

[​IMG]

20. AVigil

Feb 17, 2009
    Design by our Bigkitty himself CMFTW and commissioned me to make it

[​IMG]

R APPLEBY, Coke, Jsega51 and 3 others like this.