1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

LETS SEE THOSE MAGNIFICENT HJ's

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Campbellclanman, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hi Folk, Whew, what a year so far!, there is much talk about those beautiful TC Barlows, this year they have dominated Traditionals - and for good reason!

Charlie is a wonderful ambassador for Traditional knives, The Miller and that lovely old New York Knife pictured below are from Charlie - Thank you Charlie, and Anthony for the equal ender!

Let us not forget about those beautiful HJ's, please join me in showing off those lovely knives......
    Here is one of my first ever HJ'S gifted to me by SunnyD ( Anthony )...
    This things sharpens to a Razor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miller Bros HJ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miller Bros. Tang Stamp on the Main in Circular - MILLER BROS. over center Meriden. over USA
    The Punch stamp is different, where in circular - MILLER BROS. over center CUT Co. over Meridan.

There are several different types of Stamps with slight variances with Millers- not as prolific as some Cutlers can get, but this one is slightly easy to narrow down to a period of in between a 54 year period gap - possibly able to determine a more accurate age gap with more information on the Company or Catalogs...
    Miller Bros moved to larger premises in 1872 in Meriden, Goins and Levines give you different dates depending on the stampings starting from 1863, or starting 1872 ....
    So here we have a Beauty - Miller Bros HJ, that I can narrow down to what was made in between the years of 1872 - 1926.

I really like this HJ, this is old School Cutlery at it's best...
    [​IMG]

Nice Early New York HJ, the deep dark Ebony still captures you to this day, the authoritative Snap makes one whistle out a soft "Whew" - it really does as silly as this sounds - beautiful HJ, proud to be stabled here in New Zealand after coming all the way from Canada...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Storm 8593 and JohnDF like this.
  2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Great looking knives, all!

3. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    I've always loved that Miller Bros. Duncan. I think it's my favorite from your bunch. Just a wonderful old knife.

I only have the one, but I am quite fond of it. It also shares a connection with Charlie (it's one of his HJ2s).

[​IMG]

- Christian

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Great-looking knives gents :thumbup:

5. CJZ

CJZ Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Beautiful thread indeed :thumbup:

6. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch

Nov 15, 2007
    What a great knives Duncan, fantastic looking old and new. I have only one I got through the "Far North" man

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike

Campbellclanman likes this.
  7. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Awesome HJ's Christian, Mike. I missed out on that 66 - and now with great regret, I will Hunt, i will track down!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. bdev

bdev

Feb 8, 2013
    Schatt & Morgan.....

[​IMG]

9. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Duncan, you sure know how to brighten a Sunday morning...wow!!

Here is my one

[​IMG]

10. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    My one and only:

[​IMG]

11. pipedreams308

pipedreams308 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2006
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Schatt & Morgan HJs. The "Green Bone" is a regular user. The Ebony will be eventually. :)

I'll find a nice old one someday. That's one of the great things about our hobby: the hunt!

12. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    A good awl is such a useful little tool.

13. bakerg2g

bakerg2g

Apr 22, 2010
    Here's one of mine, It's an old Robeson Harness Jack, Love the bone on this one.

Jason

[​IMG]

14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    We all admire the bone on that one Jason, AND the Teardrop frame!

I've got the Greenbone HJ that Todd displayed, it's aged nicely too and very sharp. Interestingly, Queen used a similar type of bone on their Heritage Woodsman knives, I like it greatly.

Thanks, Will

15. rhosk

rhosk

Aug 28, 2012
    Really wanted one of this pattern in carbon steel but expensive knives are not in the cards right now for me so I made one for myself the other day. Really need to reshape and sharpen the awl a bit but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    [​IMG]

16. shrapne1

shrapne1

Aug 17, 2012
    Those double flutes are amazing looking, love the hole punch so much. I kinda wish they'd make a slip joint with just the hole punch. Kind of a one trick pony, but it would be interesting to see how different makers would go about attacking the issue.

17. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    O la, that's fine. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~ P.

imhuntn and Campbellclanman like this.
  18. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch

Nov 15, 2007
    I keep getting back to this photo, the bone is amazing

Mike

19. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Thanks Sarah. That knife was my finest production slipjpoint for a long time. Only recently did it lose the title.

I always wished this knife was made in a single spearpoint version. Charlie's a veritable genie, his spearpoint Charlow is just the ticket. The HJ is now reserved for outdoors duty, the punch strikes an excellent spark off a LMF firesteel.

- Christian

20. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    I think this is my grail traditional right now. Sooooooooooo NICE!!!!!!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]