1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

LETS SEE THOSE MAGNIFICENT HJ's

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Campbellclanman, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Robeson and not Robeson stamped- the two Darker Bone Handled Robeson’s Punches and the "Peerless " Stamped lighter Boned HJ...
    [​IMG]

& rear - the Punches are extremely similar
    [​IMG]

Big Brothers Robeson....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Early Robeson, smaller HJ- a wee Sweetheart of a Knife..

[​IMG]

Another Robeson...

[​IMG]

Gorgeous HJ marked "Peerless Cut Co" Look at that Punch - then look above ^^

[​IMG]

M Thompson - check the Punch...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't believe the broad width differences matter so much as some punches had to fit into smaller Frames - but still the same Style of punch- I think simply narrowed down to suit the Frame.

So upon seeing other knives that sport this Punch - I think- "Aha" - did Robeson sell the Punches to other Factories" ? it would be so great to have Invoices from Cutler companies to validate things like this.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    peanutsxx, Half/Stop, neal70 and 7 others like this.
  2. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    This one still gets me, the Punch I have never seen before- and I have looked and looked and looked but have not found anything similar, If anyone does spot a punch on another knife like this I would be MOST grateful.
    This HJ- is one that I like very much - it's a Primble - so someone made this HJ for Primble- Who? Who made this Knife? :confused:

[​IMG]

hamsco, peanutsxx, Half/Stop and 8 others like this.
  3. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    In carrying on with the search, I have accepted that it may take several Years to find who made this HJ for Primble, I have seen an early I*XL Wostenholm HJ with a similar Punch that was very much hollowed out yet not quite as Broad in Width - the vast hollowing out ran the whole way to the Punches Tang, Primbles in the earlier days did use Wostenholm - but at what period I am not 100% sure, if it was during the India Steel Works era?

Bernard has the India Steel Works circa 1890 - 1940 period, and the possibility of either USA or German manufacture - so a massive expanse of Cutler History / Cutlers to be explored there.
    I have also seen that of the LF& C's that the Punches are Hollowed out as such- but still yet again the halfway ending is not existent on these punches either, and not as Broad as this India Steel Works Punch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    hamsco, peanutsxx, Half/Stop and 5 others like this.
  4. neal70

neal70 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Duncan, outstanding detective work going on! The uncommoness(?) of the Punch seems like a perfect candidate for a fellow who’s been known to have some made-hint hint;).
    Thanks, Neal

Campbellclanman likes this.
  5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I am as flummoxed by that cool punch as anyone, Neal! Can't wait to find the answer to the Great Duncan Punch Mystery!!:) You have a goody there Duncan!!:thumbsup:

6. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Thank you Neal - and Charlie :)
    Neal you are right - Charlie has an immense amount of knowledge- it's funny as Charlie must smack his head against the Keyboard at times when I am trying to work things out and put it out there :oops:
    There's lots to look at in a knife- I never knew just how much and I am 100% sure I still dont know.
    There's Time!

7. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Speaking of big Ground out Punches, one of my oldest and most loved ( just check out the gorgeous Stag & you'll see why......)ex C. Campagna

Big and Broad still ready to out work any young fella!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a Schatt & Morgan Punch again- Broad and hollowed out - but the Tang of course is quite different to the Waterville..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    I sat up with interest when Charlie pointed out the Utica Punch ( but I cant find where now? )
    one like this...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to confuse one just that little more other Punches are so so similar - are they the same - but have a wee tweak to make them different...
    [​IMG]

Fox Cutlery - with a similar Punch- slightly curved face on this one... ( there is another Fox HJ I own with a different Punch )
    [​IMG]

aaaah yes here it is...
    [​IMG]

Back to the similarities of the Utica Punch...
    Western States Boulder Colo. ( Beautiful HJ with a Curved Frame ) - same styled Punch....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So - Utica could have supplied or made these HJ's - I will search some more in this later- what I find I dont know - Charlie do you Know my friend?

Another Question to @waynorth - Charlie- That stunning Case HJ of yours kind Sir raises Questions as well as many complimentary comments.....

That Punch on that Case seen here below
    [​IMG]

Compared to the Robeson Punch..
    [​IMG]

Questions about your Case HJ....
    a, Case obtained Punches from Robeson?
    b, Robeson contract made this for Case? Bone looks like Case though....
    c, Is it actually a Robeson Punch? - I am thinking it is?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    neal70, peanutsxx, knowtracks and 3 others like this.
  9. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Utica's other well known Punch..
    [​IMG]

Seen on lots of Knives...
    [​IMG]

neal70, peanutsxx, knowtracks and 2 others like this.