Lets See thoses MACHETE'S

All these good looking machetes, I feel a little light headed. Need to sit a spell.

Great collectoin in one place guys.

Paul

IMO any machete that costs more then $60-$80 shipped is money out the window, I don't care who makes it, what steel it is, what wood the handle is, mosaics, sheaths etc.... a machete is just a field/bush tool and ANY of my $6.00-$25.00 machetes are better then my $150 ones.. lessons learned by trial and error..

I'm sure Payette would agree that his cheaper machetes out performed all of his HI's...

I'll edit with pics later..

Based on the handle, the third from right (or second from left) looks like a Bark River. Is it? What model? Also, the URL for the pics indicates that they (the pics) are from Bark River's website gallery.

That is the Northwind. Big Mike insists on tormenting me with it occasionally:D. He'll have to give you more details on it.

IMO any machete that costs more then $60-$80 shipped is money out the window, I don't care who makes it, what steel it is, what wood the handle is, mosaics, sheaths etc.... a machete is just a field/bush tool and ANY of my $6.00-$25.00 machetes are better then my $150 ones.. lessons learned by trial and error..

I'm sure Payette would agree that his cheaper machetes out performed all of his HI's...

I'll edit with pics later..

Same can be said about knives, for the most part. A knife is essentially just a cutting tool and MOST (not any) $25.00 knives will cut as well as a $225 one. But, like with machetes, blade steel upgrades can improve things like edge holding capabilities or toughness, and handle materials and/or finish can improve comfort or ergonomics... which can affect performance Better sheaths also add to a more positive user experience if they eliminate certain problems with cheaper ones. Quite simply, more expensive machetes and knives are better than cheaper ones if the user says they are. I'm not sure why machetes have to be relegated to ghetto utility tool status while their knife cousins get to enjoy the royal treatment with regards to materials, workmanship and reputation. They are all just tools to some; to others they can be works of art. A $300 knife makes no more sense to me than does a $300 machete. To each their own.

Same can be said about knives, for the most part. A knife is essentially just a cutting tool and MOST (not any) $25.00 knives will cut as well as a $225 one. But, like with machetes, blade steel upgrades can improve things like edge holding capabilities or toughness, and handle materials and/or finish can improve comfort or ergonomics... which can affect performance Better sheaths also add to a more positive user experience if they eliminate certain problems with cheaper ones. Quite simply, more expensive machetes and knives are better than cheaper ones if the user says they are. I'm not sure why machetes have to be relegated to ghetto utility tool status while their knife cousins get to enjoy the royal treatment with regards to materials, workmanship and reputation. They are all just tools to some; to others they can be works of art. A $300 knife makes no more sense to me than does a $300 machete. To each their own.

Yes. This. :cool::thumbup:

This is my $2.oo swap meet purchase before and after..

Ultraviolet reactive handle, bead blasted then a flat protective coating over the bead blast

92154847.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Did you ever find the maker of your machete ?
I spotted this on ebay this evening and it made me think of your post

heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIETNAM-older...787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362ba803b

No its not my auction ,,

Still doesnt reveal the makers name but still interesting Chzech machete.

You can see the Lion marking , and made in chzechoslovakia also originally a bolo style. Maybe someone can save the pics so sweet can see them ?

I too am a big machete fan, though my collection is small. I have from the Rothco 12" camp through the Cold Steels to the 28" Tram.

Here is the only one I have made so far.

The owner wanted a machete to do the work of an axe, and a machete. Here are some pics of the progress. 1/4" 1080 18" cutting edge, 27" OAL.
IMG_0258.jpg

Rough ground getting ready for heat treat.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Who neds a batton?!? :D
IMG_0377.jpg

Okay, here are the pics of the handle on the blade.
IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Okay, here are the last pics of this beast. This time wearing leather chaps.
IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Paul

Can you please send me an email or pm about making one of these rigs for me? I really like it, great design!

Has anyone got their hands on the new Condor Tapanga machete?

maches.jpg

I've got a couple on the way. I can't wait to see them in-person! It's next to impossible to track down a reliable source for that pattern--Martindale makes a few, but no one ever seems to have them. Other than that the ones I've been able to find have all been Chinese in manufacture. Yours is a Diamond brand, isn't it?

So, Lee do you think the BRK/Ontario mod machete is worth the $$$? I bet the handle scales are the best part, nice sheath as well.

I think it's worth the money. It's very compact, and capable. I love mine, and would recommend it to anybody looking for a top-of-the-pile machete. It's also extremely sharp, and the full-convex blade cuts like a dream. Taking the sheath into consideration, it's probably cheaper than the Fiddleback Forge, which are very popular (for good reason).

I've got a couple on the way. I can't wait to see them in-person! It's next to impossible to track down a reliable source for that pattern--Martindale makes a few, but no one ever seems to have them. Other than that the ones I've been able to find have all been Chinese in manufacture. Yours is a Diamond brand, isn't it?

So far we have not been able to find out who the brand name is, I can still make out Made in lovakia on the blade for Czechoslovakia... This is by far my favorite style! With Martindale also making them I'm either late or broke when one pops up on ebay... Ya gotta post up photos when yours come in !

Last edited:
I too am a big machete fan, though my collection is small. I have from the Rothco 12" camp through the Cold Steels to the 28" Tram.

Here is the only one I have made so far.

The owner wanted a machete to do the work of an axe, and a machete. Here are some pics of the progress. 1/4" 1080 18" cutting edge, 27" OAL.
IMG_0258.jpg

Rough ground getting ready for heat treat.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Who neds a batton?!? :D
IMG_0377.jpg

Okay, here are the pics of the handle on the blade.
IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Okay, here are the last pics of this beast. This time wearing leather chaps.
IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Paul

out of curiosity, how much did you charge for this if you dont mind me asking?

If it's the one I think you're talking about (3rd from the left or second from the right in the first pic) it's a Bark River.

Yeah, the name was on the tip of my tongue. I remembered it was a Barkie at least! :D

Back