Lets See Your Custom Homemade Knife, Axe and Tomahawk Handles!

HPIM1022.jpg

PillagingGear.jpg

TrailHawkDadley001.jpg

HPIM0271.jpg

All my tomahawk handles end up custom because I require my handles to be a minimum of 22" long, and only recently Cold Steel began offering handles in that length.

Not quite done with my Spike Hawk... yet.

Enzo Trapper blank in D2. Decided to make scales out of cocobolo

P1050653.jpg

P1050659.jpg

P1050652.jpg

P1050662.jpg

P1050663.jpg

And eventually:
P1070417.jpg

P1070419.jpg

P1070424.jpg

Made a sheath for it too just the other day - not the prettiest thing, but ambidextrous L or R and Horizontal or Vertical:
P1070421.jpg

P1070422.jpg

P1070423.jpg

Oh, and currently using above knife (along with a 10" wetterlings) to customize a 32" straight handle for a keen kutter head:

P1070416.jpg

More on that later though ;)

The nicest piece of curly maple Ive ever personally seen is laying on my shelf right now. I just havent decided what hawk to use it for yet..Paid like $30 just for the blank :eek:
A rasp bowie with Desert Ironwood..Im a ironwood junkie :p
newpics258.jpg

curly maple with wraps..
newpics162.jpg

curly maple
newpics039.jpg

Curly Ash...I love curly ash, it has a chatoyance even deeper than maple at times..
Picture307-1.jpg

A nice piece of curly maple..
Picture958.jpg

Here's a couple of through the haft hawks I forged up out of antique Sorby chisels the hafts are ash. The small chopper is an old forged something blade that I hafted with the end of a warped hawk haft. The huge chopper I rehandled with double layers of boot sole leather.

Best regards

Robin

4694298642_48a8f648be.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

4150389265_787286b414.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

4466600873_717923875c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

4467373120_f06c16fb3c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I'm loving that chopper and the boot sole leather is the best, ha ha!
So looks like you can thread a lanyard at any of those holes in the handle?

Hey pullrich, ya, the handle slabs are pinned with the brass lanyard tubes
The front one being the safest and the best feeling. The leather took a lot of the vibration out and the grip felt very secure.

Best regards

Robin

sundaybench023.jpg

sundaybench008.jpg

sundaybench027.jpg

gr005.jpg

If I can put cherry bark on it...it'll probably have cherry bark on it

Very cool stuff Briarbrow. Is that a Cherry pipe bowl? Love the Cherry bark handles. I have 100s of black cherry trees on our land, I collect the burls for buttons and closers and beads and been thinking about a cherry pipe. Really neat work. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards

Robin

Hi Robin. It is a briar vest pocket pipe that I veneered with c bark/ thanks for the kind words

Kentucky, that is an absolutely gorgeous bowie - I've seen some of your other work with files and rasps, and would be very interested in seeing what else you've got in the form of knives. :)

Brad

Robin could you give us a bit more information on does incredible looking hawks?
Incredible job on does by the way.

Hi Ed.
Both the blades I forged from 19th century Sorby chisels, the spikes are the tangs. Both hafts are split and slotted for the "tang" to fit tightly into so it can"t move forward or backward. The haft and head was epoxied and clamped.
The one with the tacks was bought as a wall hanger:confused: the other was thrown all summer. Both are really light and definitely not for chopping.
I intend to make lots more this year but with much heavier hafts and larger heads.
Keep safe Brother.
Best regards

Robin

Back