Let's see your favorite claw hammers

Vaughn showed up today. It's 16 oz , the poll is about 3/16" to 1/4" longer than most of my others with about the same size face.

What looks like scratches on the head is just in the lacquer that the head is dipped in. I will be putting up some trim next week and will remove the laquer on the face before I try it out.

L-R that third one looks like a long handled Plumb? I really like that one.

Bill
Nope, they're all Vaughan & Bushnell and that one is a 999ml.

What you see here is the 10oz #9, 16oz #99, the 20oz #999ML, and the 24oz 505M.
M= milled face, L= long handle, ML = both.

My favorite hammer is an almost 50 year old Craftsmen headliner ripping hammer. I have others but this is the one I always grab.

I don't have a photo of mine but it looks like this only a lot more used. It still has the original handle and it is still tight.

I have always had a preference for a straight claw over a curved claw. Probably goes back to my teenage days helping a neighbor build a pole barn with a corrugated metal roof. He made sure we both had straight claws and told me that should I slip ( there was light snow) I should use the hammer as a pick, hit the roof hard and hang on.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite hammer is an almost 50 year old Craftsmen headliner ripping hammer. I have others but this is the one I always grab.

I don't have a photo of mine but it looks like this only a lot more used. It still has the original handle and it is still tight.

View attachment 2355212
That's the " hammertooth " as I've always called it that I have, mine is a 60's era.
I could swear they were once called the Hammertooth but have no clue where I got that and can not turn up anything online.
I distinctly remember seeing them in an old catalog scan, they were the hickory with black rubber grip.

Anyway they're made by V&B and are essentially a modified #999 , an awesome hammer.
Actually my favorite go-to claw hammer really because I find that mini nail puller useful.

Billnäs carpenter hammer from the 1940s:
DSC5584.jpg
DSC5588.jpg

DSC5585.jpg

With Mariefors Bruk (Kellokoski) 12 axe from the same era:
DSC5562.jpg

That's the biggest claw hammer I have ever seen. Pretty sure there is a steel face there or what's left of one.

It reminds me of this video I came across the other day and I will share it here for those hammer geeks that may enjoy it.

These hammers are very expensive...

BIG CLAW HAMMERS?

The biggest I have is a Billnäs. I cannot find a model number on it. It is similar (if not the same) as the one posted by V veeteetee in post #45.

Here it is with the second biggest I have, a Vaughan 999L - 20 oz.
w7BZHK9.jpg

Billnäs total 1.181 kg (41.659 oz.) Vaughan total 0.725 kg (25.574 oz.)
3KEWfYL.jpg

Balance
T0N9atU.jpg

DWtDk4C.jpg

Billnäs 1928 catalog snip
G61bQhm.jpg

Vaughan 2023 webpage snip
XL33EHD.jpg

annotations using

Bob

My Billnäs shown in #45 weighs 1169 grams. Seems me and rjdankert have the same model, the only difference is that mine is totally unused;)

This Stanley is my largest claw hammer. There is a name for them that escapes me at the moment. Lots of them I see are Bell System stamped and they are not uncommon. Must have been a use for those wedge shaped claws.

It weighs 2lb 8oz on the 13" haft. The haft is pretty thick and to rounded, it feels awful in my hands, hate at first grip.

This Stanley is my largest claw hammer. There is a name for them that escapes me at the moment. Lots of them I see are Bell System stamped and they are not uncommon. Must have been a use for those wedge shaped claws.

It weighs 2lb 8oz on the 13" haft. The haft is pretty thick and to rounded, it feels awful in my hands, hate at first grip.

It's a straight claw Linesmans hammer.

Billnäs carpenter hammer from the 1940s:
DSC5584.jpg
DSC5588.jpg

DSC5585.jpg

With Mariefors Bruk (Kellokoski) 12 axe from the same era:
DSC5562.jpg
BIG CLAW HAMMERS?

The biggest I have is a Billnäs. I cannot find a model number on it. It is similar (if not the same) as the one posted by V veeteetee in post #45.

Here it is with the second biggest I have, a Vaughan 999L - 20 oz.
w7BZHK9.jpg

Billnäs total 1.181 kg (41.659 oz.) Vaughan total 0.725 kg (25.574 oz.)
3KEWfYL.jpg

Balance
T0N9atU.jpg

DWtDk4C.jpg

Billnäs 1928 catalog snip
G61bQhm.jpg

Vaughan 2023 webpage snip
XL33EHD.jpg

annotations using

Bob
I think those claw hammers with one extra long claw are German Latthammers.20230711_230211.jpg
These are two nearly new Estwings that I found recently at a pawn shop. One bears a warning label written in German. T-A

Back