Lets see your homemade sheaths/bit covers and belt loops...ect

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I'll have to find what I have before I can get some pictures myself, but I'm interested in seeing what kinds of " axe leather " you guys have come up with, and possibly getting some ideas about ways to secure your sheath without using snaps ( I currently use screws as a makesy post and slit style of closure like they used to use for holster flaps )

. . .and possibly getting some ideas about ways to secure your sheath without using snaps ( I currently use screws as a makesy post and slit style of closure like they used to use for holster flaps )
You might get some ideas from an earlier thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1349699-Let-s-see-your-handmade-axe-covers!
Some really nice sheaths (not mine) there.

Here is one I randomly picked that doesn't use a snap or post and slit:
This is from awhile back but here is one I made from an old redwing work boot.

Bob

I am interested to know what knot is being used for the plumb on this one, I have been trying to figure out how to do this sheath design while having a leather strap tie at the back, or have a slip knot that secures well. Any ideas for that?

22594272470_95f7ee855e_c.jpg

Here's what I'm currently using ( I've got ones around that I stopped using )

That belt loop is always on my belt. I liked how securely my hatchet rode when I ran it under my belt, but it's not very comfortable because it digs into my side. With this it rides the same way but has my belt in between it and my side and is much more comfortable. I've had it on my belt for the past 2 yrs, and I never notice it. I keep it there so I always have a place to stick a hammer...ect when I'm working on something.

Here's what I'm currently using ( I've got ones around that I stopped using )

That belt loop is always on my belt. I liked how securely my hatchet rode when I ran it under my belt, but it's not very comfortable because it digs into my side. With this it rides the same way but has my belt in between it and my side and is much more comfortable. I've had it on my belt for the past 2 yrs, and I never notice it. I keep it there so I always have a place to stick a hammer...ect when I'm working on something.

That's a neat idea, I don't remember seeing a belt loop before.

Bob

Last edited:
That's a neat idea, I don't remember seeing a belt loop before.

Bob

I just took a thick piece of scrap leather and punched 2 holes in each end that were connected by slits. And it only took 1 minute to do. When I want to use it I pull on it to make it open up and pull it back out that when I'm done with it.
It takes up a little room on my belt but other than that you'll never know it's there.

I am interested to know what knot is being used for the plumb on this one, I have been trying to figure out how to do this sheath design while having a leather strap tie at the back, or have a slip knot that secures well. Any ideas for that?

22594272470_95f7ee855e_c.jpg

It's just a regular ole sliding knot and you can put as many extra wraps in it as you like for a little better security. However, you're not going to be able to mount the sheath and expect the axe to stay in place with a slipknot - it's just there to keep the sheath in place.

Here is a youtube tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewxB5Qy7OAU

Back