Let's see your pipe collection

The recent post about pipes made me finally finish a long planned project and make a pipe rack to display my pipes. I made it out of scrap stuff in the garage and it came out better than I expected. (Plus room to get a couple more pipes ;))

gsKx84t.jpg

Let's see your pipe collection!

Grizz

When I was in graduate school I took up pipe smoking. One of my professors accused me of trying to look "professorial". (There was probably something to that.) I had a friend who also smoked a pipe, so we formed a little, informal pipe club. (Just the two of us.) One of the lab technicians [correction: I believe he was a draftsman] was a very cool guy named Peter, who was from Switzerland. At one point Peter went home for a visit and offered to bring us back each a Swiss pipe. Here is the pipe he brought, pictured together with my Vic Woodsman that was a gift from my wife (note: no tweezers or toothpick), a modern Zermatt pouch, and a Swiss military cap in Swiss camouflage that I purchased from an Army surplus store. Peter explained that this is a farmer's pipe. The lid on the bowl prevents the escape of sparks that might set the hay or barn on fire. The stem is easily separated from the bowl and both can be hung by the attached string overnight to dry. I believe the bowl is burl, the stem might be cherry (?), and the bit appears to be carved from horn. The tassels might be deer, goat, or ???. My other pipes are packed away, but I keep this one out on display.

[A note on the pouch: the rubber band keeps the mini-steel in place and keeps the bail from rattling. Those little steels are perfect for removing a burr and putting a final edge on a blade.)

51102206380_381535f62c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Cool story. Have to dig out some of the family pieces and get dome pics to add to this converstion.

Back