Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

I thought I'd do sone side by side shots of the Case and Rough Rider scout. Its obvious that RR based their version on the Case.
pVq49qx.jpg

Same blade layout and styles, not many use that type can opener anymore, seems someone behind RR likes discontinued Cases. The loom fixer/half hawk comes to mind as well. Note the differences in the edge bevels, while close to the same thickness at the spine the Case comes to a thinner edge. In fact I've thinned the edge some on the RR bringing it to a more acute bevel. While both are very sharp the Case is much more "slicey".
CG6TrXz.jpg

Both nest the blades well,both have some rub opening the blades. Both have lateral play in the screwdriver blade when closed. I think its inherent to this particular design of scout, but I only have one example of each so not a good base to base that theory on. I like how the notches for the nick access is beveled inwards on the Case. Gives great access and has less noticeable appearance from the side. Screwdriver is thicker at the tip of the Case on my examples, though still a bit on the thin side. Both punches/awls are extremely pointed and made nice "D" shaped holes in leather. Piercing it with little effort.
xUl9LwH.jpg

Note the shallow appearance of the cutouts on the Case,but due to the bevel their as easy to access as the RR.
1Uq0iKn.jpg

Most visible from the pile side the Case has a more oval appearance, while the RR is more parallel along the top and bottom.
I know some aren't crazy about RR's clones or copies, but in this Case(pun ;)) I feel they chose a very fine example of a pattern to emulate.

Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly
Nice pretty pair of scout/camp/utility knives you have there. :)

I don't have the Case version, but I do like my RR version.
Screwdriver blade on mine needed a bit of filing on the tang to round the edge a mite to lower that pull from an 11 or 12 (pliers were required to open it) to a 8.5 to 9 though.
I think I'll get around to working on it more "someday", and see if I can get it down to a 7 or 6.
The RR is also noticably heavier than my old Ulster BSA, my Marbles rendition of the Camillus "Demo" knife, and my 1975 Army Reserves issued Western "authorized copy" of the "Demo" knife.
(Western made some "Demo" knives under government contracts, you know. They weren't all made by Camillus.)

Last edited:
Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly
Nice pretty pair of scout/camp/utility knives you have there. :)

I don't have the Case version, but I do like my RR version.
Screwdriver blade on mine needed a bit of filing on the tang to round the edge a mite to lower that pull from an 11 or 12 (pliers were required to open it) to a 8.5 to 9 though.
I think I'll get around to working on it more "someday", and see if I can get it down to a 7 or 6.
The RR is also noticably heavier than my old Ulster BSA, my Marbles rendition of the Camillus "Demo" knife, and my 1975 Army Reserves issued Western "authorized copy" of the "Demo" knife.
(Western made some "Demo" knives under government contracts, you know. They weren't all made by Camillus.)
Thanks, all of the blades on my RR have good pulls, none are difficult. I have read here that others had issues with the can opener as well. I have a "demo knife" as well,recently acquired. In fact its posted on page 82 :p It's a well built Ontario and I've found out researching (Google which in turn led me to a thread here,should've known) that it was produced by Queen. The awl on it was a bear, but oiling and use has lessened it to a manageable 8 pull.:rolleyes: Right now I would say the Case and Ontario are my favorite scouts. If I was to compare them to vehicles I'd say the Case is like a Peterbilt 359, a tough classic that gets the job done and looks good doing it. The Ontario demo is like an Mack steelnose "R" model, a plain and no frills worker thats stupid tough and built well where its needed. :cool::thumbsup:

So....dumb question: What is the purpose of the small blade with the thumb stud? The location of the stud seems like it would get in the way for anything other than opening envelopes or something similar.

So....dumb question: What is the purpose of the small blade with the thumb stud? The location of the stud seems like it would get in the way for anything other than opening envelopes or something similar.
It is actually a can opener, you pierce the can's lid, with the stud facing towards the outside of the can and lever it downwards bringing the stout blade forward/upwards:thumbsup: hope that makes sense:) as it's difficult to picture just from my description.

It is actually a can opener, you pierce the can's lid, with the stud facing towards the outside of the can and lever it downwards bringing the stout blade forward/upwards:thumbsup: hope that makes sense:) as it's difficult to picture just from my description.
Makes total sense :thumbsup: Looking at the pics it looked like a blade with an unnecessary and poorly placed thumb stud. I knew it had be a specialized something or other.

1. Boker 150th anniversary Camp knife
2. Victorinox Huntsman (the one that is used a lot)
3. Hartkopf Militarmesser in stag

6J0GVz2l.jpg

P.s. The main blades of the Victorinox and Hartkopf are aligned straight whereas with the Boker the blade is set at an angle. Is there any significance to this difference other than manufacturer style or preference?

Last edited:
Nice collection, MUFC4B!! I especially like the Hartkopf!! You don't see a lot of stag on utility knives!!:thumbsup:

Back