Let's see your stone collection!

Here are most of mine. There are probably 20ish more that are either not in close proximity or are loaned to friends. Synthetics are oriented top to bottom; natural stones left to right.

IMG_20161220_032312.jpg

As for a list, there are Washitas, Arkansas, JNats, Silkstones, Thuringians/Eschers, Coticules, Shapton Pro, Suehiro, India and silicon carbide hones, Spyderco ceramics, Atoma and DMT plates, and plenty of others in that mix.

Last edited:
SN150005_3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not a collection, just a minimalist set compared to what some of you use.

Atoma 140 and 400. Shapton Glass 500. Shapton Pro 1k, 2k, 5k. Belgian blue stone. DMT diafold from XC to EEF. Russian Foal leather strop.

The small DMT fine plate and the piece of fabric (a ripstop nylon used for spinnaker sails, parachutes or kites) are my pocket set.

dantzk.

55480413274bb2cbe0cd198080ca1c6f.jpg

Gotta love my wife got an atoma 140 for christmas. Such a fantastic addition to my set

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

. . . the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all
= a Douglas Adams quote.

I was going to start a new thread, I may still do that, but here goes here :

Anyone and everyone
What is your favorite stone as far as if you had to have one to do it all (as best you could with one stone) ? A combo stone is fair game if you must but you only get to use one side.

I don't have one. I was wondering what I would say. I am suspecting many will say a diamond coarse since they are so popular with the super steels. Probably I would say a Shapton 120 because I like to grind most any thing I buy much thinner and much shallower angle.

If you have opinions from there I would encourage you to refine your reply to two stones :
1. for basic high carbon blades white paper etc
2. for super steel like M390 and S110V etc.

Here he is . . . The Shapton Pro 120

What am I saying ? ? ? ? ?
No more 8,000 stone . . . unimaginable . . . BARBARIC !
It is all too much to contemplate !
I'll be on my swooning couch . . . . . . .
oh yah
PS:
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays !

Last edited:
After using my new atoma 140 I would have to go with it as my pick. I sharpened on it earlier today and it leaves a crazy aggressive edge on the cutco butcher knife I sharpened. I just sharpened on it and then followed with green honing compound on a balsa strop. I am very impressed.

atoma 140

Now is that the one with the kind of gaps between diamond areas. Not dimples, that is obviously DMT, but kind of like a stone for flattening other stones ?

Sure sounds aggressive though.

Now is that the one with the kind of gaps between diamond areas. Not dimples, that is obviously DMT, but kind of like a stone for flattening other stones ?

Sure sounds aggressive though.
Ya it is. And it is ridiculously agressive. I would probably pick the 400 or 600 if I had them. But I was just impressed by how sharp I was able to get it from such a coarse grit. I'm used to a norton 220 grit and it is really hard to get a sharp edge off of, because it is soooo muddy I think.

It is very popular for flattening stones. Which is something I was lacking. If I didn't pick the atoma then I would pick the 1k red brick from chefsknivestogo. It would be slow but leaves a good working edge.

Back