Let's talk Bowies, Fighters, Frame handles, Coffins..

9" is a machete to me. Beautiful big blades are compelling but utterly impractical in my world. Even 3/4 scale is a bit large. Oh well. :( Still, I like seeing them.

Ray
This is something I struggle with too Ray.
Anything over 5" might as well be a machete or a hatchet.

Much more on that when I get some more time to post.

If memory serves, it was 9".

Never mind the maker and being a production blade, but this beast with its deep swedged clip has quickly become one of my favorites. Just looks so good in my eyes. :cool:

View attachment 1029341

I kind of like what they did with the blade on this one, it has a nice visual flow to it.

9" is a machete to me. Beautiful big blades are compelling but utterly impractical in my world. Even 3/4 scale is a bit large. Oh well. :( Still, I like seeing them.

Ray

I couldn't agree with you more Ray about a nine inch blade being impractical, but some knife collectors love collecting bowies. This particular knife came about after I got burnt out making about 60 or so drop point hunters in a row, I needed a change.

Well said Scott, I've been working on breaking down my goals as a knifemaker. I broke things down into 5 categories to help me focus on what I want to achieve. Getting into more difficult builds is part of that.

Right now I've got 4 drop points and a trailing point hunter on my bench that working on. When I'm done with these that I'm working on now I'm going to start on another 4 drop point hunters for some new orders that just came in.

LOL. Are you kidding? Paul Long, the Grand Master hisself, of course. :D That is from like 2009.

I wish my leather work looked half as good as Paul's, but would be hoping for quite a bit.lol

Big blades are best if they have the balance to be good throwers :rolleyes: :D I laugh but I mean it! In this day, as I don't need a blade that will be used in battle or some other life and death scenario, hand to hand with a bear, e.g. (a small bear) - throwing is where its at! :thumbsup: :cool: Can't abide a knife that just gets looked at. At least let me throw it and stick it into trees, or doors. ;) I'm pretty good at it :)

REPOST - I have a primal response to this. Make me wonder what I have been, in past lives.

Ray

Last edited:
... and John - your leather work is every bit as good as it needs to be. There is nothing needs to be added or taken away from your sheaths. BUT - as you know I'm a big proponent of lessismore. Sorry Scott, I can't speak to your leatherwork. Paul L does beautiful leather but usually over the top to my sensibilities. Just sayin' ...

Ray

Thanks Ray, I'll leave the tooled leather to the Pros like Paul and Scott!

I've had a sheath in my head for s while but I can't see the knife yet. It has a heavy waxed canvas inlay. I can picture blue and of course..... maroon. I just need to figure the knife part out. Which come to think of it might be a camp knife in maroon paperstone.

Lots of lovely sights in this thread thus far. :cool: Hopefully to give Mr. Lessismore some inspiration. ;) :D

I kind of like what they did with the blade on this one, it has a nice visual flow to it.

I like the higher-end model with the fuller even better. Link.

I think you're right Jared, also reduce some of the weight bit never hurts.

I'm sorry, did you say something?
6oW54Ep.jpg

Noob question. Is there a name for the process or style where the pommel is cut or contoured to match the stag?

From jdm's post.

IMG_0801.JPG

That looks awesome, not sure if that technique has a name or not, I've only done one like that.

Back