Let's talk civil unrest/war weapons.

Some good pitchfork
Used less or more succesfully for Centuries ...
Every Continent, every unrest

I too am one without much spare money my choices for those type of things have been and are
1.esee jungles tough as nails and proven
2. TFW visayan barong
3. Cold steel gladius machete
4 condor golok
5. Cold steel bushman Bowie mounted onto shovel handle
6 Martindale no 2 golok
7.HI 18 inch sirupate
8. Imacasa 14 daga machete
9. 18 inch tramontina machete
10. While not bladed but highly useful for self defense and urban environment (breaching) estwing geological hammer.

I know I know , most can't even conceive it happening never mind consider it a possibility in the coming years to fruition . " The military qill quash it / the police will quash it " but the fact is those on the blue side of things are considering abolishing / defunding police blah blah blah . And lets not forget whats been happening in the cities across america this year.

This thread is however not about that . I dont want to talk politics this isnt the forum for that . Instead a scenario proposed then tools one may need.

The year is 2021 . XXXXXX has won the presidency . There is unrest . After one side confronts the other there are now open clashes in the streets . Many police have fled to protect their families . Military has been deployed in population centers but in suburban / rural areas there isnt quite the stability due to less troops.

Folks have burned through much of their ammo . And now primitive weapons are being used .

What would be a real world edged tool to defend yourself while you forage for food / move through the landscape ?

I was considering a katana but many serious blades and especially Nihonto are ALOT of money . I have about a grand or so to throw at this unlikely scenario . It will need to be a weapon that is tough . Not something that is tough but may need to be reprofiled.

There are the thatsuki nihanto kumori , Hanwei Tori XL , Zombie tools apokatana . Or would a wakazashi or perhaps a machete be more appropriate ? Perhaps even a swamp rat waki or rodent rucki .

Other tool that may be more appropriate for real world primative CQB ?

What say you ??

I can hear the *sighhhhh* even before I hit "create thread" however we do seem to be in a very fragile state in 2020 and who is to say what is to come.

So I would respectfully request refraining of " this againnnnnnn" type posts and focus more on the scenario proposed .

Thanks .
Honestly, get yourself a cold steel gladius machete (hell get several they're so cheap) well made, durable and accompany that with a shield.

." One constant that comes to my mind though is that no-one ever recommends a sword. Not a Katana, not a cutlass, not a machete. Most recommend against a blade longer than 7" and many lean shorter."

Responding to Vorpelsword:

1. The generality. Most people carry a knife strong side vertical. They sit down at some time during the day or maybe most of the day. They have no training in escrima, sword fighting, knife fighting (please note that the basic, simple and most ergonomic movements in using those tools are the same).

Given the generality, it is uncomfortable to carry a long bladed knife. If a person is not going to be on alert at the front line, the most comfortable carry position is going to be horizontal and behind the back or on some web gear. Usually, getting the appropriate sheath costs some money or handy work. Then the blade length is in the range of 4-6 inches.

2. Let me address Katanas and Wakizashis as daily carry tools. I have them and they are not cheap items. You don't use quality in practice. You damage the swords.
Remember, I wrote that the basic movements are the same. I have wood swords, plastic swords, rattan sticks, and machetes for practice. A wood or plastic sword can cause grievous injury just like a $1500 sword. So can a machete.
I relate the following. After a class not involving knives, the instructor asked me to retrieve an escrima stick from my car. I had no idea what the SOB was going to do. He deliberately broke the rattan stick I gave him. I asked him to wait and I would bring him another stick. So, I retrieved a 22 inch escrima stick made of black iron pipe I purchased at Home Depot for under $20, not including the black spray paint used. He made no attempt to break the homemade stick.
By all means, buy machetes and practice with them. That is fine. The watermellons, bottles of water, and hunks of meat don't care whether you use a $30 Cold Steel wooden practice sword or a $15,000 katana. When shtf, you can provide your metal escrima sticks, wooden swords and $30 machetes to your unprepared neighbors and relatives.

There's enough 556 223 and 762 to last longer than any citizen arranged conflict. Short of a civil war where you chose sides and were armed by war profiteers, most weapons would be used in self defense to protect water food and family. Feel sorry for the poor asshole dragging around a battle axe with him...

The Cold Steel 1917 pattern Cutlass is as good as it gets. 1055 spring tempered steel to pass the British proof test, blued for lower maintenance, sheet steel basket hilt, 25" clip-point blade and razor sharp. The fact that it was adopted by the U.S. Navy in the 20th century tells you the "pattern" survived all the rest.
Swords and cutlasses are ideal when used against those who have no sword...and they don't make noise, nor do they run out of bullets.
As for firearms compatible with the post-apocalypse, many are going to perish in their first and last "firefight" because they actually though they could engage in such. The ideal calibers will be .22LR for EVERYTHING, with suppression. Loosing off an AR barrage is going to be a quick trip to the long dirt nap.

The Cold Steel 1917 pattern Cutlass is as good as it gets. 1055 spring tempered steel to pass the British proof test, blued for lower maintenance, sheet steel basket hilt, 25" clip-point blade and razor sharp. The fact that it was adopted by the U.S. Navy in the 20th century tells you the "pattern" survived all the rest.
Swords and cutlasses are ideal when used against those who have no sword...and they don't make noise, nor do they run out of bullets.
As for firearms compatible with the post-apocalypse, many are going to perish in their first and last "firefight" because they actually though they could engage in such. The ideal calibers will be .22LR for EVERYTHING, with suppression. Loosing off an AR barrage is going to be a quick trip to the long dirt nap.

I love the pattern along with other saber sorts, but I am informed the CS version has little to no distal taper. ( horseclover horseclover , do the originals have any distal taper? The images in your links give the impression they are rather bayonet-like.)

As for noise, well, the weapon might be quiet, but your victim might not be so obliging. 😸

Zieg

Last edited:
There's enough 556 223 and 762 to last longer than any citizen arranged conflict. Short of a civil war where you chose sides and were armed by war profiteers, most weapons would be used in self defense to protect water food and family. Feel sorry for the poor asshole dragging around a battle axe with him...
There is probably even MUCH more "lowly" .22LR in civilian stockpiles . Cheap (relatively ) , portable and compact/lightweight .

Easy to fire with little training . Easy to suppress for stealth . A mainstay for budget survivalists .

Against anyone not armed with firearms and without access to modern medical care, even a .22LR is potent enough .

Good point, for my weapons of choice I take my cue from the Vietcong;

- Intimate knowledge of the natural landscape

- Turn the natural landscape into the most horrific anti- personel weapon

- other people of strong character spiritually, physically and mentally united in common goal.

- unbreakable will and resilience.

- Guerilla tactics, avoid fights unless it's on your terms.

Oh and pointy sticks or

Store bought blades. I've never seen anything cut better than an Albion principe. If shtf, killing people is infinitely more useful than a more robust blade.

If shtf, to exist means to kill people. Thems just facts.

Sharp weapons like the principe are gone ram thru people's guts and take heads. Big long bastard.

Beyond that, a good bowie, a good bearded hawk, a brace of trench knives with dusters.

You can do all the wood batonning, fire bow drilling bullcrap with shite tools.
But life or death you had better be expert at AND have very sharp blades. You can do a bad job and survive a bad forest camp. You will not survive 3 feet of steel thru your gut.

But shtf....man no less than 20k rounds of 22lr, 9mm,maybe 5k round of 30-06 for deer and 3k rounds of shotgun shells.

My tuppence.

But shtf....man no less than 20k rounds of 22lr, 9mm,maybe 5k round of 30-06 for deer and 3k rounds of shotgun shells.
That's over 150 lbs for the rimfire ammo, and 1000 lbs for the 9 mm ammo, 300 lbs for the rifle ammo, and 200 lbs for the shotgun. Appx.
Hope your bug out vehicle can handle over 2000 lbs, unless you have a bomb shelter.

That's over 150 lbs for the rimfire ammo, and 1000 lbs for the 9 mm ammo, 300 lbs for the rifle ammo, and 200 lbs for the shotgun. Appx.
Hope your bug out vehicle can handle over 2000 lbs, unless you have a bomb shelter.
If you need more than 600 rnds you're probably dead.

Back