Lets talk GEC!

I like that. To be clear, I don’t think GEC is cutting down American chestnuts, or more accurately, sourcing from someone who does. I’m sure it’s reclaimed, and I approve of that. Same with oil sucker rod- it’s a great way to get more out of quality wood.

Ebony, Bloodwood, etc. are a little more rarified than we’d all like, and I’m not sure how I feel about it. Obviously makes gorgeous covers- I just wonder if it’s a good idea. Maybe I just worry about nothing!

Timber gets propagated and managed because there is a commercial demand..... It is a good thing that scarce species are in demand..... Silvaculturists will keep the species viable ......

Last edited:
I think the historicity of Chestnut is neat. Can’t say it’s a particularly pretty wood though. But I’d always prefer wood to acrylic if I had a choice.
Sometimes you can get some nice light and dark contrasting grain patterns with Chestnut. The fixed blade below has chestnut handles.
9CAAMIr.jpg

Has GEC ever stated what the stainless steel is in the Stainless Fruit Knife #89? It does NOT say 440C anywhere on the tubes.

Is there a new thread created to talk the 2021 BF knife? Previous one was closed due to reasons stated by mods but I'd still like to stay up to date on any news flowed down from Bill and Charlie.

Is there a new thread created to talk the 2021 BF knife? Previous one was closed due to reasons stated by mods but I'd still like to stay up to date on any news flowed down from Bill and Charlie.
Still coming soon. I'm sure when it's posted it will live near the top of the page.

I don't know when GEC starting putting those moisture absorber packets in their tubes but for those that store their knives in the tubes long term, do you leave those in there?

waynorth waynorth
We will make sure that any new information gets passed along, although I suspect it will be minimal until after the upcoming polls in 2 to 4 weeks.

The GEC blog has some production pics up for the Bocote 83. The funky-grained examples are looking great.
There's also some pics up for the green 71. I landed a pre-order for that one (so I should be able to sleep at least half the night).

EDIT: Sorry, just realized this news already broke on the 83 thread.

Last edited:
Now I realize maybe I should tried for the chestnut instead of the acrylics on the 89. I guess I have some regrats.

not to my knowledge, but I would be surprised if it wasn't. "GEC" as a brand is stated to use 440C here: GEC Brands

I wouldn't put too much stock in that web page; it also says that GEC knives are "easily recognizable with the Great Eastern Cutlery acorn shield", which obviously doesn't apply to these 89s. I guess the advice I received when I asked about the shields also applies to the steel. "Bill Howard does what Bill Howard wants." ;)

In the absence of an answer directly from GEC, I will just assume that it is 420HC as the dealers are specifying.

Back