Lets talk GEC!

The #35 churchill looks to be my perfect edc knife. Hopefully its paired with great scales/ shield options. GEC has did a get job with their latest offerings.

And I didn't preoder on the Churchill. None of the cover options were doing it for me. Maybe I'll feel differently when I see production photos, but my wallet is safe for now.

The #35 churchill looks to be my perfect edc knife. Hopefully its paired with great scales/ shield options. GEC has did a get job with their latest offerings.

Tidioute - smooth bolster and end cap
Cougar Clawed Bone
Gabon Ebony
Maroon Micarta

Northfield - 1 line no dimple bolster and end cap
Smooth Yellow Rose Bone
Jungle Acrylic
Stag

Can someone tell gec to make them all white steel please I don't care if it's carbon nickel or stainless

Thanks

And I didn't preoder on the Churchill. None of the cover options were doing it for me. Maybe I'll feel differently when I see production photos, but my wallet is safe for now.

Same here, buzz. The options kinda left me flat.

I was hoping for a jigged bone. I'll hold onto hope for a cool SFO or try to grab a well matched Stag when it comes out.

Happened upon this discussion this morning which led me to the pictures of the Churchhill which then led me to reserve a Gabon Ebony. I couldn't resist, I really like my Drover and Harness Jack. This one I believe is going to get used a whole lot. As someone else sad, 2017 has been a pretty good year for GEC. Oh, my poor bank account !!!!

If only there was a GEC version, it's so perfect otherwise! What a great blade/size combo.
^^^ This ^^^
I would die and go to heaven for a stainless version of this knife. I love carbon steel, but after you have a certain amount of Northfield and Tidioute knives, the maintenance to keep them rust free can be a kill-joy. I like doing the maintenance...when it's less than 10 knives. But once you get beyond that, it becomes a burden. I'm always hoping for more stainless from GEC. And this pattern/blade configuration is to-die-for.

It's a similar blade combination. A "Carpenter's knife" was a jack with two full length blades. The handles varied a bit... straight jacks, curved jacks, bullet end, etc. And the main blade can be either a clip or spear. The secondary blade is always a full length sheepfoot.

o3iKtAr.jpg

The Churchill is a "double-end jack". Typically, stockman and cattle knife type double-end jacks have a spey blade or sometimes a pen blade. But there are rare examples with a sheepfoot. Here's one with spear main blade and sheepfoot secondary using the parts of a Eureka (fancy cattle knife handle/die).

gev4mTJ.jpg

On the oldies, the spine of the sheepfoot was usually parallel to the handle. But it looks like it will be angled up when closed on GEC's knife (like on a knife with 3 blades). I might tinker with the kick if there's room. I'm looking forward to seeing the inside of the well.

35-NORTHFIELD.jpg

Years ago, I had suggested something similar for the forum knife... and a couple years later we did get one made by CSC before they closed their doors. One of the nice things about the double-end jack is that a catch bit can allow the main blade to be full length. Whoever invented the catch bit is in my personal cutlery hall of fame!

Here's a comparison of two pen knives. The knife on the right has a catch bit and the main blade is longer than the knife on the left that lacks a catch bit.

1uLuLw1.jpg

y7SkEF2.jpg
Thank you very much for the great info Jake! I have a lot to learn, but not as much as I did before this.

This is probably a stupid question, but do you suppose the closed sheepsfoot on the Churchill is at such an angle to facilitate opening and to avoid the blade rub issue that the Drovers had?

Thanks again for the wealth of information. Here's hoping somebody current makes a Carpenter's Jack someday...the one you have pictured couldn't have a better size and blade configuration in my opinion.

That would be a great frame for a scout knife for sure.

I thought that was a rumor from the first time this pattern was introduced - that the plan was to (eventually) make a scout knife on this frame?

I'd be all over a 3-3/4'' GEC scout/camp knife! The #98's were great, but a little impractical for pocket carry.

Back