Lets talk GEC!

The #29 frame looks identical to the Black Box Winchester #3904 swell center whittler, although the blade selection is different.

Because of the recurve clip main, I think I can resist the #86, unless they make it in 440C.

The #97 is just too big, and the double-pulls are a deal killer: just makes no sense to me.

I kinda like the #29, but not a lot.
The #86 and #97 are just a bit too big for my liking.
Not sure I'll be buying any of those at this point, unless they come out with a cover that I can't resist.

The #29 frame looks identical to the Black Box Winchester #3904 swell center whittler, although the blade selection is different.

Because of the recurve clip main, I think I can resist the #86, unless they make it in 440C.

The #97 is just too big, and the double-pulls are a deal killer: just makes no sense to me.
I missed the double pulls, but the size alone killed it for me.

The #29 looks just like a reversed #92 (29/92 makes sense) and if they made one in a two bladed Jack knife, I'd purchase multiples. Ive always liked how my Eureke back felt in my hand, but always thought it would feel EVEN better turned around. Nothing with a punch interests me very much though.

The #86 looks to be just a slightly larger #77, and since I've been waiting on more Yankee jacks, I'd be willing to substitute with one of these.

The #97 is a classic coke bottle pattern, my absolutely favorite LOOKING knife pattern. True, it's quite large to be of much practical use to me, but the. Why pay $80 for a Case or S&M coke bottle when I could pay a few bucks more and get one of these. I'd almost certainly purchase one of those just to have that pattern.

I'm not crazy about any of them, but I will say the Tidioute #97 grabs my attention most. I like the coke bottle shape, and being gigantic might make for a good lunchbox/picnic basket folder.

Almost certainly, but none look like they'd be comfortable in the hand during actual use. Not a collector's worry though.

Thanks, Will

I tend to agree. The 29 being an eureka is a nice frame for a whittler but giving it the heavy duty knife combo ruins it. I don't mind the punch at all, but the sheepsfoot will make for an awkward grip every time you use the main blade. Give it a pen, spey or even a lower lying coping blade and I'm all for it!

The 86 faces a similar problem. Sheepsfoot, although useful and liked by many, is just weird on a jack. Due to being on the larger side you can bet that thing will stick out a fair bit and that makes for a big hot spot, I imagine. There's a reason why you don't see old jacks featuring such a combo, at least not most of the times. A coping blade would be easier on the grip but I guess then you really have just a wee bit bigger version of a 77. But at least it's another frame they can build barlows on eh. :p I'm sure some are already daydreaming about that. :D

Well...hmmm...looks like 2019 is going to be a little easier on the wallet for me :) An ebony 97 looks nice but the pattern is way too big for my tastes. Should be interesting to see how these come along though.

I like all of the 2019 possibilities ,especially the 29. if that's a split spring whittler pattern it will be awesome!! It appears that the 97 large coke bottle has 2 different blade profiles too for whatever ails ya. the Tidioute looks full flat grind and the northfield's a sabre grind if you want that. very interesting indeed. I'd say the very best news here is that the folks up at GEC are keeping it fresh with a new batch of patterns.

Last edited:
all three look good IMO. the 86 is the best one followed by the 97 and then 29 - punch?

to amend, if the #29 is a split back whittler that would be really good

Last edited:
Very cool to see GEC tease us with some possibilities for 2019.

When I saw the #29, I immediately thought, "That looks like a reverse 92!". This one has me the most curious. I like the proposed blade combination but am uncertain how the frame will feel, it seems a bit "nonstandard". (However, it does remind a little of the Churchill, just with an added punch.)

The #97 is probably my least favorite of the bunch. I REALLY like the aesthetics of the pattern and blade and could see it being an ideal knife when working or hunting. But the Northfield trim just looks awful. I don't care for the double pulls and the sabre grind kind of deals the death blow for me... However, the proposed Tidioute looks very sharp and I will likely get at least one.

The #86 is my favorite of the bunch. Though I am curious what their reasoning is. The 77/78 not large enough? Still under 4" though... Regardless, my 77 NF Barlows with clip and coping blades are among my very favorite knives. If this 86 proves to be even more robust, I will be sold!

Interesting responses! I actually love that 97, especially the saber grind and double pulls. This is going to be a unique one for sure..... think I’ll probably have to go all in and get the whole set. I hope it stays unpopular... easier to obtain that way!

I think a lot could depend on the shields they decide to use. If they use some of the "jazzier" shields, folks might get more enthused. I kinda dig the standard shields tho, and I wouldn't mind if some of these were a little easier to get our hands on.

I like the 97, but I would maybe eliminate or adjust the Northfield etch. I like that there are 3 new patterns to look forward to! That is just fantastic.

Back