Lets talk GEC!

So the H10's are now available, and I'm torn on whether to get one or not. I've been wanting an H10 for a while now, as a smaller fixed blade. I really like the scaled down proportional Bowie shape of the blade, and the full tang. But I don't care for the big swedge, the ornate sheath, and the handle choices of this run. But I don't want to have to wait for years in the hopes that they finally make one I like. I can always overlook the swedge, rehandle it, and get or make a plain leather sheath. But why spend good money on something I don't really like? But why miss out on a perfectly good H10, so close to small fixed blade nirvana? Why can't they make an H10 like past runs, with a small swedge, nice bone handles, and a plain dark brown sheath? What law says that GEC can NEVER make the same knife twice (unless you're talking a Bull Nose/Buster)?

I would ask GEC if they have any older style sheaths available for purchase. They probably do. Or contact knifeswapper knifeswapper and see what he can do for you with his line of sheaths. He may be able to order a knife for you without a sheath and add one of his.

I remember the late Bob Andrews placed a special order for H10s with the shield facing outwards so that it was visible when the knife was in the sheath.

With that in mind, I am confused by this photo. How is the sheathed knife displaying its shield?

8NXOQ0g.jpg

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/2019/05/13/new-sheaths/

So the H10's are now available, and I'm torn on whether to get one or not. I've been wanting an H10 for a while now, as a smaller fixed blade. I really like the scaled down proportional Bowie shape of the blade, and the full tang. But I don't care for the big swedge, the ornate sheath, and the handle choices of this run. But I don't want to have to wait for years in the hopes that they finally make one I like. I can always overlook the swedge, rehandle it, and get or make a plain leather sheath. But why spend good money on something I don't really like? But why miss out on a perfectly good H10, so close to small fixed blade nirvana? Why can't they make an H10 like past runs, with a small swedge, nice bone handles, and a plain dark brown sheath? What law says that GEC can NEVER make the same knife twice (unless you're talking a Bull Nose/Buster)?

My .02 cents.. buy one now so you don't regret not getting one. Follow the bladeforums rule of buy both... meaning buy one now and after they run them again in a few years or more pick up another. The micarta version is very unique.

Hello, new guy here. Live in New Kent VA.
I’m not a collector as much as a user. I am a big fan of GEC knives, own 10 of them, and the Crown lifter is hands down my favorite, almost always in my pocket. Now that said, I would love to find a GEC Texas camp knife, it’s my grail knife. I’ve been watching eBay but have yet see one for sale. Any advice???

Last edited:
Hello, new guy here. Live in New Kent VA.
I’m not a collector as much as a user. I am a big fan of GEC knives, own 10 of them, and the Crown lifter is hands down my favorite, almost always in my pocket. Now that said, I would love to find a GEC Texas camp knife, it’s my grail knife. I’ve been watching eBay but have yet see one for sale. Any advice???
Keep hunting! Place an ad in the want to buy section...you never know someone maybe willing to let one go. Good luck!

Is it a rare pattern?

NORTHFIELD
SMOOTH WHITE BONE 60 PCS.
KINGWOOD 63 PCS.
ANTIQUE AUTUMN JIG BONE 65 PCS.

CHARLIE CAMPAGNA
ANTIQUE YELLOW JIG BONE 72 PCS.
CRANBERRY JIG BONE 64 PCS.
BURNT ORANGE JIG BONE 55 PCS.

OKCA
ANTIQUE AUTUMN JIG BONE 53 PCS.

NORTHFIELD
SMOOTH WHITE BONE 60 PCS.
KINGWOOD 63 PCS.
ANTIQUE AUTUMN JIG BONE 65 PCS.

CHARLIE CAMPAGNA
ANTIQUE YELLOW JIG BONE 72 PCS.
CRANBERRY JIG BONE 64 PCS.
BURNT ORANGE JIG BONE 55 PCS.

OKCA
ANTIQUE AUTUMN JIG BONE 53 PCS.
I would so like to get my hands on one!!!

Is it a rare pattern?

Not as hard to find as you may think. Lots of people have one, but it's too big for them to ever actually carry, so they're willing to part with it. The problem is that they're incredibly expensive when you do find one. They weren't very cheap when they were brand new. It's an extremely large and very complicated pattern. Tons of tang stamps. Lots of coverage area to jig. Swedges galore.

But such a beautiful knife in so many ways. An infinite number of nuances to examine. It's in my Top 5 of GEC's best efforts to date.

3MdNEG9h.jpg

Not as hard to find as you may think. Lots of people have one, but it's too big for them to ever actually carry, so they're willing to part with it. The problem is that they're incredibly expensive when you do find one. They weren't very cheap when they were brand new. It's an extremely large and very complicated pattern. Tons of tang stamps. Lots of coverage area to jig. Swedges galore.

But such a beautiful knife in so many ways. An infinite number of nuances to examine. It's in my Top 5 of GEC's best efforts to date.

3MdNEG9h.jpg
I am willing to pay for who ever wants to part with one, but I would prefer no patina...

Back