Lets talk GEC!

Thanks guys. That’s the way I was leaning. Beautiful as it is, it was made for a purpose. Be a shame for it to never fulfill it ha ha. Guess I’m in the market for a slip.

My first GEC. Father's Day present from my wife. 2007 GEC #73EC in snakewood. Never used, never carried. I'm over the moon. Just a beautiful knife, machining, fit, finish, snap are amazing. The pull, particularly on the main blade, is ridiculously strong. Not quite sure on your rating system, but Kim can't open it. Serialized 051, blade says 1 of 150. Couple of questions. Their production chart says 93 of these were produced in 2007, so I assume this is one of 93 that were actually built, and they just never hit the 150 cap? My second question is, should I carry it? I don't care about the future value of the knife, it's not going to be sold or traded. I've never owned ANYTHING that was a shelf queen. If I buy something it gets used, some more gently than others. I'm thinking of buying a slip and carrying it occasionally on office days. Won't get any hard use there. Just wondering if others with similar knives carry theirs on occasion. Don't want anything to happen to it, but assuming in a slip and used indoors would be pretty safe. Even in the hot, humid (Houston area) climate we live in. Thanks.

DSC_0017 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

DSC_0021 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr
That's a beauty! Congratulations.

In 2007, I'm pretty sure GEC used consecutive serial numbers throughout a pattern run without regard to handle material.

My first GEC. Father's Day present from my wife. 2007 GEC #73EC in snakewood. Never used, never carried. I'm over the moon. Just a beautiful knife, machining, fit, finish, snap are amazing. The pull, particularly on the main blade, is ridiculously strong. Not quite sure on your rating system, but Kim can't open it. Serialized 051, blade says 1 of 150. Couple of questions. Their production chart says 93 of these were produced in 2007, so I assume this is one of 93 that were actually built, and they just never hit the 150 cap? My second question is, should I carry it? I don't care about the future value of the knife, it's not going to be sold or traded. I've never owned ANYTHING that was a shelf queen. If I buy something it gets used, some more gently than others. I'm thinking of buying a slip and carrying it occasionally on office days. Won't get any hard use there. Just wondering if others with similar knives carry theirs on occasion. Don't want anything to happen to it, but assuming in a slip and used indoors would be pretty safe. Even in the hot, humid (Houston area) climate we live in. Thanks.

Definitely use it. They’re really sturdy knives, especially the older ones. Looks like there were some more made under factory exclusives but yes they were probably shooting for 150 but fell short.

First of all congrats on the knife. It's a beauty. And congrats on a thoughtful wife.

So if you're a dad..you have at least 1 kid. I have 3.

Let me try to put the knife question "use or don't use" into perspective.

When I take my family of 5 out to dinner we generally have a great time. Price is $80 - $150 depending on Chinese or local seafood place. I have no qualms about spending that cash for a good meal. Roughly the same price of 1 GEC knife.

Now, that dinner was one night of good memories. Your GEC, for about the same price, should give you years of memories. And don't forget there is a team in Titusville that can give it a spa treatment if ever needed.

No question. Use it and enjoy the memories.

LOL Ron Sabbagh Ron Sabbagh . My 2 older kids are in there 30’s with their own kids. Youngest just completed her sophomore year of college. Hate to tell you, but you’re getting off light right now! Ha ha ha.

Use/don’t use had nothing to do with knife value, I’ll never sell it. Just such a beautiful, pristine piece of equipment from their early runs. I’d hate to be the one to mess up a piece of GEC history. The fact it can go in for spa if I do something dumb makes me feel better. Slip for it is on the way, will be in my pocket soon. Thanks for the post.

I wish Christine Tucker all the best in her recovery. She has always been able to answer my questions with kindness as a passionate collector and I really appreciated her answers to my emails.

I guess it all depends on your definition of full sized trapper.
235210-GEN-STAG2-6.gif

Has GEC ever made a full-sized Trapper?
It's a pattern that's become one of my favorites.
The 48 pattern looks like a trapper, and GEC often names the pattern that way (e.g., "Traditional Trapper", "Western Trapper"), but the closed length is usually 3 7/8", probably a quarter inch short of what many would call full-sized.It looks like in 2015, they ran the 48 patterns at 4", which is closer.

- GT

GT, I'm pretty sure all the different releases of the #48 are the same size frame. I've owned #48s that were made in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017; they all measured between 3.88 and 3.90 inches closed.
Thanks for the corrections based on actual "real world" products, Jeff. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I was going by "ivory tower" research of lengths listed on GEC's "Knife Releases by Patterns" pages on their website, and I think there are several cases of known inaccuracies there. The lengths given for the 2015 48s are apparently another example.
(That there would be a run with a change in the frame size seemed unlikely, but if you can't trust information you find on the internet, what CAN you trust??? :rolleyes::D)

- GT

The 48 pattern looks like a trapper, and GEC often names the pattern that way (e.g., "Traditional Trapper", "Western Trapper"), but the closed length is usually 3 7/8", probably a quarter inch short of what many would call full-sized.It looks like in 2015, they ran the 48 patterns at 4", which is closer.

- GT
GT, I'm pretty sure all the different releases of the #48 are the same size frame. I've owned #48s that were made in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017; they all measured between 3.88 and 3.90 inches closed.
Thanks gentlemen!
I'll investigate the 48.

The #48 is a great knife :D but I guess it would be more of a slimline pattern. The #23 jrawk posted above is probably the fullest trapper GEC has made at 4 1/2" closed while the #73 is probably the most popular at 3 3/4" closed. In between is the #42 Missouri Trapper. Its 4 1/4" closed with the wider handle shapes of the #23 and #73.

Back